Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Should the drinking age be raised to 21?

Caris

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad idea - because it won't stop younger people from drinking but instead of doing it in a controlled surrounding eg. a bar, pub, ... they do it alone with friends and probably not with beer but vodka, gin and harder stuff.

Exactly. If there is any 'anti-social behaviour' reasoning or similar behind raising the age limit, the it's ust going to make mtters worse, because more people will just drink elsewhere, and could possibly get out of control.

Guest Stefkov

Don't care, I don't drink.

Sucks for like everyone I know if it does go ahead. I can just laugh at them.

Also sucks for those little shites hanging round the off licence or whatever waiting for an 18 year old to come by to buy them their drinks.

But seriously I don't see why, the stress of education at Uni and such, if there is any. There has to be some sort of relief for students.

Clubs and pubs need to make money aswell.

Same can be said about the driving age. It's not the young people, its the older people that need to stop driving. Your reactions get slower etc. Younger drivers, the ones who cause crashes are just fools. Why some people have to spoil it for everyone else annoys me.

haha the thing is underage drinking will INCREASE rather than decrease if this idea goes ahead. it's so funny how stupid countries are sometimes.

lol, exactly :P

I've always said that underage drinking (in a sort of generalising, not-looking-too-closely sort of way) is a learning experience, and means that by the time you've come-of-age, you're aware of your own limits and don't act like a tard in public.

Of course, that's just rose-tinted :P most people i.e. people I don't know... act like ***** when drunk.

lol, exactly :P

I've always said that underage drinking (in a sort of generalising, not-looking-too-closely sort of way) is a learning experience, and means that by the time you've come-of-age, you're aware of your own limits and don't act like a tard in public.

Of course, that's just rose-tinted :P most people i.e. people I don't know... act like ***** when drunk.

that's very true. also there is something about everyone aged 13-18 year old people that want to 'appear older than they are'

I can't really word it properly But i think you get what I mean.:)

I started drinking at the age of 20. :P

it isn't a big deal really. I go drinking every week. It makes things fun. There is no way that law coming here is Ireland haha:)

TEH RIOTS!

If anything, they should lower it. By lowering it they will get people hanging about at the street corners looking anti-social.

Underagers are always going to be able to get alcohol, no doubt about that, raising the limit would just make more people hanging about on the streets.

It's complete bullshit that if they do this I can't go out for a drink with mates from uni. I'm perfectly responsible when I drink, I don't harm anyone or anything.

My dad used to buy me 6 packs when I was 15, and let me drink his own beer when I was a kid. I've always had access to as much alcohol as I wanted, so maybe that's why I don't view drinking as cool, and never have. I've only been drunk 3 times ever, and the last time I got drunk is when I was 16, not drank any alcohol at all since, and I'm 23 now. Drinking is crap when you consider what else you can do with the money.

My dad used to buy me 6 packs when I was 15, and let me drink his own beer when I was a kid. I've always had access to as much alcohol as I wanted, so maybe that's why I don't view drinking as cool, and never have. I've only been drunk 3 times ever, and the last time I got drunk is when I was 16, not drank any alcohol at all since, and I'm 23 now. Drinking is crap when you consider what else you can do with the money.

What else can you do with £2.50? That's the price of my (current) 2-litre cider of choice...

I reckon someone should start a petition to keep the legal age at 18.

that's what this petition is :P

Maybe you could go out and buy a non-alcoholic drink? Maybe you could rent a dvd or some shit, and invite some chicks around?

lol. The 'chicks' part doesn't cost £2.50! none of what you said did. and none of what you said falls under the category of "instead", i'm afraid.

Personally, i think this is a good idea but it won't follow through. Reasons for this is that too many people who are underage now will continue to drink more and more. Plus it won't be good for the economy as fewer people will be out at the pubs and clubs (which happen to hold most 18-21 year olds anyway).

And they won't police it either, they can't be asked to police the current laws. If they did, the government wouldn't be raising the ages of smoking and drinking. The government are taking the easy less costing way out of the problems instead of investing in solving the problems with the current laws and enforcing them.

Can anyone actually find an article saying that they plan to do this?

No. Because its not been said.

Some police officer said it should be done but I can't find any interest expressed by the government (recently, anyway). Everyone's just in a tizzy.

It is in no way planned or official or even being thunk (is that a word?) about at all.

Thought

Thats the word you were looking for.

Would be amusing though. My little brother has been smoking for a while now and it just upped to 18 last month and his birthday is in a few weeks time. And it would just be amusing if he'd have to wait three more years. (not that it would stop him but hey ho)

I'm almost twenty so by the time they think about passing this stupid law it won't affect me (hopefully it takes them longer than 13 months).

It's not just ruining the concept of being eighteen and getting a drink with your mates, it'll ruin university culture too. Every town has a student night, places will be screwed because a lot of students would be under 21. Seems an outrageous idea.

well, people askoing for an artical should watch the news, its been in for a few days now.

persoanly, i think its stupid. poor uni students to be. i drank excesivly in my first year, partied and acted like a prick, got it out of my system and then settled down by second year.

ive been drinking since i was 14, and have a fairly healthy relationship with drink now. ok, i get wasted every once in a while, but not regularly. turning drinking age to 21 will not stop kids drinking, nor wil they stop binge drinking. all there going to achive is getting more alcohal knicked from offies,

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!