NEurope

Fixed for consistency and pluralisation. Anyway, it mostly seems right, and I'd definitely enter the two different articles as separate references as they're from an anthology and so are effectively different articles. There are a few other things that might vary depending on the particular style you're using - for instance you might want a colon after the in, and a pp. before the page numbers, but all this stuff depends on the particular house style and consistency is more important.

Lol, I'm getting used to proof-reading papers. :heh:

Edit: Oh, and check you don't need a full stop after the author's name.

Thank you! Didn't notice the Eds. haha.

As for full stops and pp. and all that... they basically just told us to pick a referencing system ourself and then stick to it. They never told us what parts to include etc. I think this is the style I used for my paper last year, and they didn't comment on that so I'm assuming it's fine. >.>;

3:30 am... I want sleep, boooh!

Well it's the Harvard (author-date) system, but there are lots of variants within that - where you put full stops and colons, how much you abbreviate, what order things come in, etc.

And yes, bed sounds good.

Well it's the Harvard (author-date) system, but there are lots of variants within that - where you put full stops and colons, how much you abbreviate, what order things come in, etc.

And yes, bed sounds good.

Thing is they didn't even explicitly tell us to use the Harvard system. I simply used it because it seems to be the most common one heh. =P

And yes, bed. In half an hour. >.>;

I've been fussing over this unnecessarily annoying introduction for a Postcolonial Lit essay, for which I stupidly chose the theme of the interplay between English and other languages, and I need someone who actually sees the words for what they are, rather than just a load of meaningless black marks on a page as I do after staring at them for the best part of an hour, to read it for me and tell me if it makes any damn sense.

Any takers?

The novel is a literary form that has, for a large period of time since its inception, been the subject of a debate relating to its worth as an artistic medium; one that concerns the question of aesthetics, and whether the novel possesses a quality that renders its dialogic content differentiable from that of day to day speech. M.M Bakhtin, a twentieth century Marxist thinker, tells us that the “formal” aspect and “ideological” subject matter of the novel are inseparable from one another, since the aesthetic of a work of prose fiction arises from the “social tone” of each of the voices; an aspect of semantics concerning “the internal stratification of any single national language into social dialects, characteristic group behaviour, professional jargons...” through which a single word within a language can be host to a variety of different meanings. The author of the work is not only aware of the subtle semantic shifts between age groups, social sects and professions, but uses them consciously to create an interplay of “socio-ideologies” reflected in dialogue, and through this means, gives shape to his broader text. This, of course, is presupposed by the idea that there exists a unification of language within the region whose socio-ideologies the author is attempting to mimic. The Postcolonial novel can be seen as something of an outlier when taking this theory of novelistic discourse into account for multiple reasons, among which is the fact that the authors of many of these texts are attempting to convey cultures that have a language endemic to them, to an English reading audience. As such, they are presented with a problem of transposition for which it is perhaps necessary to consider examples of social stereotypes that are analogous across regions, or, on the other hand, to downplay the aspect of social existence embodied in language, opting instead for a singularity or simplicity of tone over multiplicity.

Edited by The Bard

My little film for my current project started taking conceptual shape today at college, which was good. TBF I have 2 entire weeks to "plan" before I even start filming it and putting it all together, but I was worried nontheless.

(It's a snapshot of a world where superhero have replaced our normal religious icons)

ARGH! TWO WEEKS! You've got to do character designs, model sheets, turnarounds, storyboards, mood/colour boards, a script. ARRGH :p

So I had that phone interview (she was late calling me, how rude!) and it went well. She invited me along to the next part which will take 3:30 to 4 hours (!!) and is a mixture of things on Thursday.

Then she sent me the address and its really out the way. It doesn't take any longer than it currently takes me (about 1.30-2 hours) but it relies on buses and as such would cost me £40 a week just to get to work and its not guaranteed hours so...need to do some maths later. Plus she said yesterday it would be shift work between 7am-11am and there's definitely no way I can do that. May ring her tomorrow to discuss that.

Hmmmm...

Bard it reads okay after a quick glance, but a few too many commas in my opinion.

Edited by Ashley

I feel like shite, but I really should go to my noon lecture. Urgh...

- Hearing aid suddenly stopped. Rubbish.

- Quiz! We won. Again!

- Mate won the physical challenge (limbo)

- Prize was a bottle of sambuca!

- Girl licked it off my arm

- Got drunk quick

- Quiz prize was free drinks and free pool

- Only bought two drinks all night

- Today; Don't want to do anything.

- Might go shopping for smart/casual wear.

- Smasual.

- Risotto will include parmesan in the cooking process. A lot.

- Might see Iron Man 2 tonight

- Assassin's Creed 2 is superb fun!

Another exam failed \o/

That's two in two days :D

:nono: no no no, we cannot be having this.

I'm thinking about fully up-grading my music system to digital. No more CD's, just download. Am thinking of getting a new MP3 with some speakers/dock to listen to tunes out of, just need to find something for under £140 total.

My throat was so bad this morning (and still) that I can't speak without actively speaking in a different timbre/range/whatever than normal. And even so it still sounds like a moose or something.

So I stayed off college, I've got a throbbing head too.

My day was going great until the coke zero I bought at the cinema came back to haunt me an hour into Iron Man 2. By the end of the film I was so desperate I had to make haste, when I returned the credits were rolling.

If I had the bladder and will power to hold on just two minutes longer I'd have seen the end..Even went for a regular drink to avoid such an event happening. Curses.

Spent most of my day building this thing

DSC00640.jpg

5 hours and i still need to do the building its self >__>

I need to lay down

Yaaaaay. My week has been so bad. Apart from a near mental breakdown a few nights ago... I come into work today to be told that there is an "aggressive modernisation and recovery plan". So I thought hey, not to worry, they'll maybe at most cut staff (although that would cripple us) but NO. They're putting the service we provide under the chopping board.

So I could very potentially be joining one of many at the FUCKING JOB CENTRE.

FUCK YOU NHS.

The beautiful irony is how BACKWARDS the system will be if our service gets cut.

And I went out to cullybackey to get sandwiches for lunch today (rare treat). Going down this narrowish road where people always park on the other side of the road (meaning my side had right of way). Some plonker in front of me decides to stick on the reverse light to let this monsterous lorry by... (who could have waited) so i reversed as much as i could... people started piling up behind me... then we all got stuck resulting in the person in front having to mount the kerb to let the lorry by. Fuck you, haven't you ever heard of using your right of way >_>

Deep breaths Raining! That royally sucks! I hope they don't axe you!

Today has been good, went shopping, bought some stuff, bleached my hair, had it shaved on one side, put blue dye on (waiting for it to dry), hung out with the house-mate and my mums told me I can work with her for a week to earn myself some cash, which will keep me out my overdraft!

I think she's doing it more because I can't seem to find a job, either way it helps. Phew!

Spent most of my day building this thing

DSC00640.jpg

5 hours and i still need to do the building its self >__>

I need to lay down

Ooooh that actually looks pretty awesome. How are you finding the build? Like...enjoying it?

I just got back from an enjoyable trip to the cinema.

Awww biiiiiiiig hugs for you Raining!

*biiiiiiig hugs*

:hug:

I thiiiiiiiiink that my dissertation is done! Whooooo! 22.816 words, most I've had to write, ever!

Now all I need to do is read over it tonight (gonna take ages haha), check that my references/sources are right and then get it printed tomorrow (gonna cost a fortune to print it out five times, urgh).

Will be so happy when it's done and printed. ^______^

Deep breaths Raining! That royally sucks! I hope they don't axe you!

Awww biiiiiiiig hugs for you Raining!

*biiiiiiig hugs*

:hug:

Ahh thanks girls. ^_^

I think i'm just a big ball of pent up bitterness and rage at the moment. One day i'll just lose the plot and end up being admitted to a physch ward. It's getting sooner rather than later =P

Our department has someone VERY important on our side. The nursing director, only person above her is the chief executive.. She knows about us, and what we do, loves us to bits (yay) and she'll fight our corner. She tends to get her way most of the time, so here's hoping.

DSC00642.jpg

done....think i might stick with this LEGO thing, quite enjoyed that. Would be a good piece to stick on display too.

Edited by martinist

DSC00641.jpg

done....think i might stick with this LEGO thing, quite enjoyed that. Would be a good piece to stick on display too.

a jigsaw might be cheaper though =P

DSC00642.jpg

Fuck yeah! And after another member asked me about this I totally remembered a set or few that you might love!

Seen this one in the flesh. Very impressive (and absolutely worth the price)

10210-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10210&cn=245&d=100

Own this one. Fantastic build, great fun.

10185-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10185&cn=245&d=100

BUT This one is better. I havn't got or seen it, but it looks stunning. :D

10211-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10211&cn=245&d=100

Damn you, ReZ, you're slowly reviving my long-dormant love for Lego ...

Also, big hugs to Raining. The gods know that you deserve better than all the crap you have to go through.

Lego is quite fun/therapeutic. I often have a go of my cousins when I have to look after him. I only had a bit of lego when I was younger...and I actually really liked it, but I moved on quickly from it IIRC. I didn't get into it young enough.

---

The most productive thing I've done all day (I'm not joking) is give my Black Cat action figure a new costume, made of stickers.

IMG_0892.jpg

Hugz for Raining. That really sucks to hear but hopefully the nursing director manages to fight your corner well and keep you guys running.

My day, rather uneventful. Just tried to get some rest. Exams have taken a lot out of me over the past few weeks, so slept in this morning. I am looking a bit pale as a result of the stress but it's all passed so I should be on the up. :D

I might buy some Lego/Meccano (which is Lego but better?) because, as Paj said, it is very therapeutic.

Maybe it's the simplicity or maybe it's bringing some kind of memory and emotion as being a kid.

Anyway, for the 12 hours I need to do lots of my Americana trip.

It would have been great if I hadn't of woken up at 8 o'clock this evening.

Day made a lot more productive just now after I flicked through some article about spring cleaning and just decided then and there to clean up my desk. Which was piled high with non-desk stuff.

And just throwing things out.