NEurope

Diddums. They're deputies for a reason.

Far as I see it...it just so happens that there are 2 spaces left. These spaces need to be paid for, so the school may aswell send somebody in them...arbitrarily that would be us 2, just because of the status. If there were 4, it would include them, if it were more than that, then it would be more difficult to be picking people from the general group. But it's two, they have a 2 person "group" with status above the rest, so its the logical choice...I understand they are disappointed, I would be too, but at the end of the day theres no need for them to be getting pissy about it and complaining to the school over it.

Far as I see it...it just so happens that there are 2 spaces left. These spaces need to be paid for, so the school may aswell send somebody in them...arbitrarily that would be us 2, just because of the status. If there were 4, it would include them, if it were more than that, then it would be more difficult to be picking people from the general group. But it's two, they have a 2 person "group" with status above the rest, so its the logical choice...I understand they are disappointed, I would be too, but at the end of the day theres no need for them to be getting pissy about it and complaining to the school over it.

and if it was them getting the chance, they wouldn't be complaining would they?!

I can see why they are upset, its jealousy and rightly so, anybody would be. But then they shouldn't be so annoyed if they couldn't get themselves as the heads.

I can see why they are upset, its jealousy and rightly so, anybody would be. But then they shouldn't be so annoyed if they couldn't get themselves as the heads.

Yeah I fully support their right to be disappointed, I definately would be. But that doesnt then give them the right to go making complaints, surely?

Yeah I fully support their right to be disappointed, I definately would be. But that doesnt then give them the right to go making complaints, surely?

No it doesn't, hence me saying about both sides.

Yesterday just as I started I was given a slight bollocking by one manager for not noticing something, fair enough, then I get told by another manager that I was going back to the department I started at [making the previous discussion pointless]

The scandal is concerning my hours, I started on Applications and Authorisations, doing 1-9 having Sunday and Thursday off, then went to Collections and worked 12-8 with Saturday and Monday off, which is a fuckload better. Yet after being shunted back to A&A they haven't told me anything about my hours/shifts changing. And I have a feeling they'll try ringing me tomorrow asking me where I am. If they try putting me back on my former hours I'm considering quitting. Those shifts were fucking awful.

Nobody wants shit hours like them to be fair.

My new system arrived earlier, darn good so far. MP3 player sound quality is better than the previous model, the speakers are awesome. Great out-put sound and all that. Still getting used to the touch-screen.

Cambridge Sainsbury's is closing at 6pm today, and won't reopen until Thursday. That may not seem too problematic, but it's the only real supermarket in the centre of town, with everywhere else worthwhile really needing a car to get to, and cars are banned for students. So I had to do all my shopping in Marks and Spencer's, which was far too expensive. Coupled with the fact I went to a two Michelin star restaurant for my friend's birthday yesterday (absolutely awesome), this makes me feel somewhat bourgeois.

cars are banned for students.

This is why I like studying at Surrey - it's an exceptionally good, world-class University, but run by people who've realised it's no longer 1728.

This is why I like studying at Surrey - it's an exceptionally good, world-class University, but run by people who've realised it's no longer 1728.

Although, in Oxford and Cambridge it logistically would be impossible to allow students to have cars, because there'd be nowhere to park them!

Plus, everything's so close that you can walk or cycle easily.

It's kinda annoying it costs £11 to get to London and back, because that's a significant amount of money, but at least the coach is every 15-30 minutes, and runs throughout the night. Really convenient.

I thought that would draw criticism, but while we have some really archaic and odd rules, that one actually makes sense. There's nowhere for anyone to park, the centre of town is mostly pedestrian only, and those areas that aren't are hopelessly congested. And (apart from when Sainsbury's is closed, for the first time ever since I've been here) it's not like there's anywhere you need to get to that can't be reached by walking, and should you want to get about faster and/or go further, bikes are really more practical. Even the cars of tourists were causing serious problems leading to the park and ride system; if you consider that 30% of the population of Cambridge are students, it becomes clear that letting them all drive would be hell.

Oh, and last I checked there weren't too many cars in 1728. :wink:

I just got asked for ID at my local offy, and i'm not far off 24.. sad times.

::shrug:

Surely that's a good thing? Or at least a good sign for the future.

Surely that's a good thing? Or at least a good sign for the future.

yes, hopefully it means i'm still looking youthful in my 30s :P

She put the stuff I was buying through the till, took my money, THEN asked me for ID as she gave me my change.. >____>

In other words she forgot. Clever of her, she could lose her job for stuff like that.

In other words she forgot. Clever of her, she could lose her job for stuff like that.

Yeah I did a think 25 mystery shop at Tescos and only 1 of the 3 people there ID'd me. And that was an after thought (still meant I didn't have to dob her in to the manager though).

yes, hopefully it means i'm still looking youthful in my 30s :P

She put the stuff I was buying through the till, took my money, THEN asked me for ID as she gave me my change.. >____>

And by then, it is too late. The transaction has been completed. She has sold you the item(s) in question and there is nothing that can be done at this stage on her behalf, only yours (refund etc).

There is only 1 place in the whole of Caldicot that ID's me, that is Bargain Booze (run by Polish people who had a look on her face that could make you want to hit it off the face). Everywhere else is all ok, don't get ID'd anywhere. Not even in pubs i'm not familiar with.

Edited by Jimbob

I occasionally get very curious reactions when I have to ask for ID during work. I asked for a woman who couldn't have possibly been older then about 20 (we're on the Under 25 rule, and they're pretty strict about it) for her ID while she was buying a paper and ciggies. She just stared at me for a few seconds and then walked out the store without saying anything as if in a trance. Without her paper.

To some people it seems being asked for ID is the same thing as calling their mother a whore for no reason, they just don't seem to know to react. Apart from showing some ID of course.

They have a right to be disappointed, but from what you're saying it sounds like its been broadcast quite a bit that you two are going for free. They should've just kept the whole thing quiet or even lied and said you had to pay a nominal fee for it.

My ex is coming round in about 20 minutes so we can do some studying. The first time I've seen her outside uni since we split up in January. She text me this afternoon asking if she could come round so she could "use my book as hers hasn't arrived yet" so I told her to "feel free to come round for a sesh later on."

I was rather pleased with my response. :heh:

my day was spent with Ace Administrator Ashley, Ace Photographer Luis Calow and Ace Model Jodie Marie taking photographs, hauling awkward ass equipment around and setting up awesome ass pictures.

Today was good!

They have a right to be disappointed, but from what you're saying it sounds like its been broadcast quite a bit that you two are going for free. They should've just kept the whole thing quiet or even lied and said you had to pay a nominal fee for it.

My ex is coming round in about 20 minutes so we can do some studying. The first time I've seen her outside uni since we split up in January. She text me this afternoon asking if she could come round so she could "use my book as hers hasn't arrived yet" so I told her to "feel free to come round for a sesh later on."

I was rather pleased with my response. :heh:

I agree, that's a rather brilliant response.

Congrats (or yay seems more appropriate) Paj and happy birthday Ganepark

As Dan said, today I went to sunny old Sheffield! Got there earlier than everyone else so popped to see Shorty's ever wonderful girlfriend at her work :) She's one of the nicest people I know so it's always nice seeing her. Then looked around for an Irish flag (long story) and failed. Met Jodie at the station, then met the ever-tardy Dan. Fun antics in M&S. Then onto his friends for photos!

Spent most of the day holding up a fill light which was tiring. Dan took an amusing picture which he'll no doubt post at some point. Must have taken close to 1000 photos (or feels like it). Happen to know the number Dan?

Then me and Jodie went to Wagamamas as recommended by Razz which was fun times. Then onward and southward home. And got invited to a sociology meal (i.e. a meal with people from 2nd year socioogy, not eating Foucault or anything...) which was nice. Will be weird but nice to be invited so I'll go along.

Quote of the day (from me): "I'm going to grab my muffin!"

and happy birthday Ganepark

Thanks, and thank you everyone else.

Yeh, today's been good. Was feeling a bit out of sorts with my brother returning home. Was getting a bit worried where I was headed over that but today's really been a big perk up. And as insignificant as it may seem, the highlight really was the card I got from my nephew. Everytime I think of it being signed by him and Winnie just brings a smile to my face.

Went to see the grandparents which was actually nice. Talked for ages about stuff, the conversation changing topic every 2 minutes which was interesting. And they were far to giving with their gift. Got £250 from them and I really do feel bad taking it. Also got a glass which says Happy 21st Birthday as sort of a commemorative thing from them which was also a nice touch.

Wasn't up for a meal with the family so went out for a drink or two with friends for a bit which was a nice way to round out the day. I'm now chilling in front of the ol' laptop with some music playing. Back to work tomorrow however. :nono: Oh well, good times can't last forever. :D