Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

As English people we must blame the French

I think you could replace 'French' with pretty much any other nationality - Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Germans and Americans are all very apt, although the French are probably the best option - better play it safe, and not trust them, the cunning devils...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could replace 'French' with pretty much any other nationality - Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Germans and Americans are all very apt, although the French are probably the best option - better play it safe, and not trust them, the cunning devils...

*sad face*

That's a bit contraversial mr fish... I know quite a few english people who don't hate me for being a scot/irish/whatever. My mum's an English woman married to an Irishman.

I wonder if it was a Christian who did that "prank", they obviously aren't that great in their morals that allows them to treat people like that. There are numerous points in the bible about loving thy neighbour, forgiving the black sheep etc (some of the christian values I can actually appreciate!)

Far too many christians claiming to be so, so they can take the moral high ground and be assholes to people who don't suit them.

*sad face*

That's a bit contraversial mr fish... I know quite a few english people who don't hate me for being a scot/irish/whatever. My mum's an English woman married to an Irishman.

I can see why, from a non-English perspective, this is taken badly - everyone who we have, at some time, fought with in history (namely: every country ever) is often regarded as a mock-scapegoat/enemy, and our neighbours especially so, hence the "as the English we should probably blame the French" comment in the first place - the French are the classic arch-enemy to the English, with the Scots in running for second.

I haven't actually got anything against France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germany or the USA, and to suggest I said I hated you for being Scottish/Irish is entirely erroneous. Indeed, I can't actually see where you picked up that idea from.

Edited by The fish

I can see why, from a non-English perspective, this is taken badly - everyone who we have, at some time, fought with in history (namely: every country ever) is often regarded as a mock-scapegoat/enemy, and our neighbours especially so, hence the "as the English we should probably blame the French" comment in the first place - the French are the classic arch-enemy to the English, with the Scots in running for second.

I haven't actually got anything against France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germany or the USA, and to suggest I said I hated you for being Scottish/Irish is entirely erroneous. Indeed, I can't actually see where you picked up that idea from.

Most people (read: not all but the majority for arguments sake) in northern ireland don't see england as their enemy... Quite the opposite actually - seeing as we want to remain in a union with the UK.

It seems to be a bit generalising to say that everyone in england is this nations enemy, or vice versa

Most people (read: not all but the majority for arguments sake) in northern ireland don't see england as their enemy... Quite the opposite actually - seeing as we want to remain in a union with the UK.

It seems to be a bit generalising to say that everyone in england is this nations enemy, or vice versa

I'm not saying they are the enemy - it's entirely based around historical rivalries (apart from the USA one, which is, culturally, a current one). Personally, I don't see any single nationality as an enemy, but, as a country which has been at war with pretty much everywhere throughout history, there's a long list of past rivals who are still referred to - comically - as rivals.

Part of the humour is the sheer generalisation of it - the idea of blaming, say, France as a whole for anything not related to an act of the government (in this case sabotaging condoms) is utterly absurd, but in the past could be seen as entirely legitimate, so the statement doesn't seem so odd.

Explaining humour kills jokes. Bloody Germans. *shakes fist*

imageW0.mardigras-2009-flag-small.20090114_034134605568.jpg

Yes people, today is the day! Mardi Gras! I'm so excited!

"The Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras is an annual gay pride parade and festival for the LGBT community in Sydney, Australia, and is the largest such event in the world. The parade features individual entrants in colourful costumes, gatherings of local and inter-state community group members, and elaborate floats representating a topical theme or political message."

I'm ready to see all the buffed, brozed, waxed and sprayed bodies!

Why are rugby boys so gay? Some very disturbing/graphic pictures popped up on my facebook which sparked this thought. Although I did once try and convince a friend to do her dissertation about the homosexuality of rugby; many of the female rugby players are gay, and all the male ones act it.

As they say, what goes on tour...

(this was more random thinking out loud, but other people may have similar experiences or skip it, whatever)

Why are rugby boys so gay? Some very disturbing/graphic pictures popped up on my facebook which sparked this thought. Although I did once try and convince a friend to do her dissertation about the homosexuality of rugby; many of the female rugby players are gay, and all the male ones act it.

As they say, what goes on tour...

(this was more random thinking out loud, but other people may have similar experiences or skip it, whatever)

Our rugby teacher taught us cheek to cheek. (face to arse)

I swear Rugby League isn't a gay.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!