N-Europe

Size 0 - The Debate Goes On

Fierce_LiNk

There was a program on ITV1 earlier tonight, but I hope most of you know what this is all about.

Basically, there's been a sudden influx of women aiming to be a dress size 0, which is a dress size 4 in the UK, If I am not mistaken.

On this show earlier, Louise Redknapp (phwoar!) basically didn't eat much and exercised for a month in order to get down to a size 0. Absolutely horrible stuff, she was so agitated not having eaten and seemed fairly depressed.

Did anyone watch it? Whats your take on it all?

I didn't watch it but I have been following the big "Size Zero" debate elsewhere. Since they started thrashing this problem out in public I'm glad to see the fashion industry start to move away from the size zero culture, but I don't think there's any one single element at work here. It seems to me that young women attempt size zero for any number of reasons, be it peer pressure, being acutely self concious, depression or a similar condition, so on and so forth. If you ask me this is a wider problem which we've all only just recently been made aware of.

It's not really a sudden influx of women wanting to be size zero, it's just a re-branding of anorexia to make people more aware of how many models there are who are massively thin.

This ITV thing is just another reactionary documentary saying we should all be obese isn't it? Then next week Trevor Mcdonald will be telling us to lose weight or we'll all get diabetes and won't be able to walk very far. What do we do ITV! WHAT DO WE DO!!!

I recently wrote an essay on this, and the argument was that size zero girls are bad. But in reality - if they choose to be that way, I have no problem with them. Its only when they are forced into loosing weight, is it completely wrong.

They'll most likely regret it when theyre older though

Haven't posted in a while but meh. I can't handle my skinny girls i keep having this thought run through my mind that too much pressure exerted on them could snap em in two, but it's the same for the chunky la funkies if they exert too much pressure on me - bye bye shenlong. About that show i saw the adverts (and Louise Redknapp....yummy - jamie redknapp doesn't know how good he's got it) but never got around to watching it. This country seems to be in one confused state our kids are gettin obese and our women are doing the polar opposite - we'll be one funny lookin nation in the future, on a side note did you guy's see those 8-15 year olds who weighed some ludicrous amount? I mean i don't really know how far the parent's are to blame on this and all but if i have a kid and see him ballooning i know i'll be taking him/her to the park under the guise of 'fun' and run them silly.

...I can't handle my skinny girls i keep having this thought run through my mind that too much pressure exerted on them could snap em in two...

This, I love! Kinda like my view - if I think I could break her in half with a kick to her lower back, then she's too thin!

Of course I wouldn't try, but you know what I mean, it's just off-putting how skinny some girls are! You need some "cushion for the pushing" (as my friend says!)!!!

Am I the only guy who likes real women? You know, curvey and all that.

No...Obviously me n BlueStar do too, that makes 3.....4 If you count Shikamaru on Naruto:heh:

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Or, more specifically, I like women who have a body like a woman rather than the body of a ten year old boy.

10 year old boys aren't even that shape.:heh:

Do Americans have smaller named sizes so they can say:

"I'm just a size 12"? :heh:

Size zero... sounds like you're just a skeleton if you wear that. D:

No idea what size it really is, since our sizes are different, usually between 32 (skinny girls) and 46 or more. I'm a 38-40, which is fairly average.

But man, it's scary how thin some girls are. You look at their legs and it looks like you can break them so easily. Twigs is what they are. There needs to be some fat you know, some meat. You don't want just bones, but something soft you can squeeze and poke. In other words, girls need to look like girls and not like walking sticks.

This ITV thing is just another reactionary documentary saying we should all be obese isn't it? Then next week Trevor Mcdonald will be telling us to lose weight or we'll all get diabetes and won't be able to walk very far. What do we do ITV! WHAT DO WE DO!!!

No it's not at all. They're telling you to be a healthy weight, not dangerously underweight like all size 0 people are.

I hate to think that people will start to aim to be a size 4 instead of an 8 which is considered small at the moment. Hopefully the programme would have made some girls realise how dangerous it is.

Edit - I'm pretty sure a size zero is euro 32 Eenuh.

hey you can whine all you like about thin girls, but hey, it's better than being a fat lass. It's really pathetic, as the real issue about women's health should be obesity. Over 20% of the UK population are classed as dangerously obese. This will cost the NHS a lot more than a few thin models.

Edit - I'm pretty sure a size zero is euro 32 Eenuh.

Geez, yeah, that's skinny. My youngest sister is a 36 and I find her to be quite thin already (not skinny though). I'm always amazed when I see sizes 32 or XXS in stores, looks like a small child should be wearing those things, not teenage or adult girls.

This programme pretty much sounds like a carbon copy of one that's been repeating on BBC Three called "Super Slim Me".

hey you can whine all you like about thin girls, but hey, it's better than being a fat lass. It's really pathetic, as the real issue about women's health should be obesity. Over 20% of the UK population are classed as dangerously obese. This will cost the NHS a lot more than a few thin models.

The difference is that people don't aim to be fat, whereas people do try to be thin. In this case unhealthily so.

You can't pin the blame solely on the fashion industry and 'style' magazines for entrenching this mindset of the thinner the better, but it would certainly help if they didn't glamourise it.

Really I don't see it as a debate at all: there is no reason to be so thin. It's dangerous for the person trying to maintain that size, it can cause depression and lashing out at other people, and let's be honest here, it just isn't attractive or realistic. (I'm sure some people find it attractive, but then some people find sheep attractive. There's no accounting for 'some people'.)

In my view it's akin to smoking and binge drinking, a nonsensical practise that's become ingrained in our culture for no good reason. With any luck the recent exposure of the issue in the press will open a few people's eyes to how silly it all is.