Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Great N-E Fitness Fanatic's Guide To Fitness

Fierce_LiNk

I've decided to make some changes this year, and one of those changes is to do with my body and my health.

So yeah, this is basically just a thread about exercising and what you guys do, etc.

I purchased an exercise ball a few weeks ago, and it's a step in the right direction, I feel. I've also got some weights which I brought from home, so I've been using them, too.

My housemate/ex-girlfriend (dont ask if you don't know) has started using my exercise ball and she's getting really into it. I think she's had more joy out of it than I have, but I'll soon see to that! Have any of you guys or girls got one of these? If so, what sorta exercises do you do?

I'm always thinking about going for a jog/run in the mornings. I figured, I may go for an early/late night run, as there will less people around and I'll feel less self conscious.

So, what do you recommend? What do you guys do to keep yourselves fit and healthily?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I went for a jog or run I'd get mugged, anytime.

I do weights quite a bit, and crunches.

Infact right now I'm off college because I was ill for a couple of weeks then when I recovered went straight into my weights and screwed up my back.

But if your looking for something a bit more fun - Wii boxing. Need I say more?

Behold, the schedule of death.

MONDAY

Warmup:

Jog for twenty minutes. Every twenty steps, perform pop-up front kick. At the ten minute mark, stop and stretch out your legs and shoulders.

Pushups:

Start by performing two sets of regular pushups, placing your hands shoulder width apart. Perform at least twenty pushups, or go until failure. For the third set, put your feet up on a chair and perform as many as you can until failure. For the fourth set, brace yourself by putting your feet up on the wall and performing a greater decline pushup. If you are unable to do this, go back to using the chair. Again, perform as many as you can to failure. At some point (when you feel stronger a few months down the road) you can start wearing a weighted vest for the third and fourth sets.

Dynamic Pushups:

Start by placing your hands about three to six inches wider than shoulder width apart. Move down slowly, emphasizing the negative portion of the movement. Then explode up, 'jumping' with your hands so that your hands leave the floor. While in the air, clap your hands together before returning to the ground. Repeat for ten to twenty repetitions, for four sets. Your feet should not leave the ground. I would reccommend against a weighted vest because the tendons and connective tissue in your elbows would not appreciate the added strain.

Handstand Pushups:

Start facing a wall on your hands and knees, about two feet from the wall (less if you're short). Placing your hands about shoulder width apart, kick off the ground with your feet into a handstand. Bend your legs at the knees until your toes lightly touch the wall. Then slowly lower yourself until your head almost touches the floor, then push up. Perform four sets of as many repeptitions as you can. If you do not have a spotter, place a pillow or two under your head. If you are not strong enough to do this yet, perform dumbell overhead presses for the same sets/reps. If you can do one though, just do one and do more sets.

Dips:

Either using parallel bars or two folding chairs back to back, place your hands on the suppors at your sides. Tuck your chin, and fold your legs up so your body goes to a 45 degree angle to the ground. Slowly lower yourself until the backs of your arms are level/parallel to the ground. Then push yourself up. Emphasize the negative, slow downward movement, and get a good stretch. Perform four sets of as many repetitions as possible.

Triceps Dips:

Put either two benches or two folding chairs facing eachother about three feet apart. Put your feet on one bench and place your hands on the other behind you, as though sitting on your hands. Pushing with your triceps, slowly lower yourself until your upper arms are level with the floor. Then push up slowly. If more weight is desired, a plate may be placed by a spotter in your lap, or a weight vest may be worn. Perform four sets of as many repetitions as possible.

Juggling:

I know how this sounds, but it's really good for hand/eye coordination, which is very important in the martial arts/tricking. But the catch is that you don't use balls. If you have access to weighted balls, use them. If not, fill two small bags with lead/iron shot, or wrap a bag of flour with duct tape so that it won't spill. Juggle for two minutes straight, for four sets. Every other set, switch directions.

Flairs:

You may have to balance on one leg. That will help you work up to performing a full flair. I will post a demonstration of flairs when I get the chance, but if someone else has a short clip they can post that would be great. This will work on your balance and strength.

Hand Springs:

At this point, your arms are tired, and hand springs will be hard. Practice them for ten to twenty minutes as a warm down. I'm not a gymnist instructor, so you will have to go somewhere else to learn how to do these. I know 2win has a good demonstration on his website. Perform them going both forwards and backwards.

Stretching:

I'll post an upper body and lower body stretching regimen later. For now, just stretch out all the muscles you used today. I hope you all have a good workout, and good luck. Tomorrow will be fun too. Peace monkeys.

TUESDAY

Warm up today with a light jog. Just twenty minutes, no jump kicks today. But again, at the ten minute mark, stop and stretch. Make sure to stretch out your quads and hamstrings. Then finishu up with the other ten minutes.

Squat Thrusts:

Keeping your arms at your sides in a cocked-punch position, with your legs a little more than shoulder width apart, squat down just past knee level. Then drop to your hands and kick your legs out behind you so you are in a wide pushup position. Then pull your legs back underneath you, stand up and start over. Perform four sets of twenty to thirty repetitions.

Alternating Lunges:

Start with your feet together and your hands in the same cocked-punch position. Step out about twice that of normal stepping distance with your right leg, then squat and touch your knee to the ground. Step back into feet together position, and repeat with the left leg. That's one repetition. Do four sets of twenty repetitions.

Ski Jumps-

Take a large, cumbersome object and place it on the floor. I prefer to use a punching bag because it is pretty big but it's also soft in case I hit it. Lay it long ways on it's side, then stand next to it on the right side, feet together, hands cocked at your sides. Jump sideways and land on the opposite side of the bag/object. Then immediately jump back to the left side. Then jump back to the right, spinning in mid air so you face backwards upon landing. Then jump to your (now) right, spinning in the opposite direction so you land in the origional position. That's one repetition. Perform four sets of ten repetitions.

Box Jumps-

Basically, take progressively taller objects (something sturdy) and jump up onto it forwards, then back down backwards. Always keep your feet together. Do four sets, ten repetitions.

Leg Raises-

Stand feet together, hands up in a boxing like position. Slowly raise your right leg out to the side until it is level with the floor. Hold it for a four count, then slowly lower it. Repeat with the left leg, and you have completed one rep. Do three sets of five to ten reps. It should look like you're doing slow side kicks, only with out the snap or the push.

At this point, if you are able to perform back tucks, work on those for about ten to twenty minutes, working your abs and your jump. If not, perform crunches with your feet raised six inches off the ground and your arms stuck out behind your head. Between sets of crunches, do body-weight sumo squats (wide stance). Do five sets of twenty five repetitions each.

That's the Tuesday workout. If you are doing Air Alert 3, don't worry about most of this workout too much, but make sure you work your legs today. I'll post the Wednesday workout soon. Good luck and be safe monkeys!

WEDNESDAY

Warmup:

Again, start with a twenty minute jog. This time, every twenty steps, break it up by doing ten jump tucks. Just jump forward as far as you can, and as soon as your feet leave the ground, tuck your knees to your chest and keep them there until just before landing. At the ten minute mark, stop and stretch. Make sure to stretch out your back and your hamstrings, then finish the jog.

Chinups:

Hey hey! You should all know what these are. Do five sets of chinups with your hands shoulder width apart, palms facing inward (towards you). This way you will be working your biceps as well as your back muscles. Each set should be until failure. If you are unable to do a real chinup (all the way up and all the way down) put a box under the bar. Jump up into the top position, and slowly lower yourself down in a negative movement. Again, do that until failure.

Knuckle Pushups:

This is just to get the blood back into your arms. Perform four sets of ten to fifteen repetitions, with your fists fairly close together (emphasizing your triceps). Spread your feet out if you are sore to disperse your weight.

Monkey Curls:

Okay, I'm not sure what this exercise is actually called, but I thought this name would be appropriate for the forum. Hang from a bar with your hands about six to eight inches wider than shoulder width apart. Keep your feet together and your knees bent. Bring your knees up to your chest (or close to it) and tuck your feet up. Then roll backwards untill you are upsidedown, but don't swing around, do it slowly so you have to work at it. Then slowly move back into the starting position and lower your legs. That's one rep. This will work your back muscles and your abs, and a few other parts. Perform four sets of either twelve repetitions or as many as you can do, depending on how strong you are. If for some reason this seems too easy, wear ankle weights.

Dynamic Tension Curls:

Okay, this is a strange and unorthodox exercise, and if you have a workout partner it will be easier. But either way this takes a lot of practice to get the feeling right.

With a Partner: Face your buddy and have your palms face up, a little below elbow level. Your buddy will put his/her hands on top of yours palms facing down. Start to bring your hands up like you are curling a dumbell, and your friend will resist you (i.e. push down). At the top of the movement, lower your arms slowly, and your buddy will continue to push to make it hard to move slowly. Then switch and do the same for him/her. That's one rep. Do three sets of eight reps.

Without a partner: A little more tricky. It's hard to learn to resist yourself or fight yourself, but it can be done (watch Fightclub). Take a meium sized towel. Grasping the middle with your right hand, take the other two ends in your left hand. Start with your right hand low, and curl upwards as though curling a dumbell. Resist and push down with your left hand. This is very hard to do and requires a lot of practice. At the top move down slowly, all the while resisting with your other hand. At the bottom switch hands. That's one rep. Do three sets of eight reps.

Flare Balance Thingy:

This will help you develope the muscles for doing flares. Sit on the ground in a Chinese Splits position (although being able to do the splits is not necessary). In otherwords, sit down with your feet and legs spread out, your hands between your legs. Now push up so that your hands are supporting all of your weight, your feet still on the floor. Then lift your legs up and hold them suspended in the air for as long as you can. Thats one rep. Aim for thirty seconds. Do ten reps.

Reverse chinups:

Just to hit those back muscles home, you're going to do some more chin ups. This time, have your palms face away from you, a little bit wider than shoulder width. Now you will be working different muscles in your arms, specifically the biceps brachii, and some other forearm muscles I can't pronounce or spell. Do four sets of eight reps or until failure.

Flipping:

At this point, if you can perform dive rolls and hand springs, work on a combination of both. By now your brain will have been upsidedown a little already, so you should'nt get dizzy quite as quickly.

Cooldown:

Stretch out your hamstrings and your lats. I'll put out a pretty good stretching regimen later. I'm quite flexible myself, so I'll put in some pictures just to boost my ego. Hee hee hee..

THURSDAY

Warmup:

Hey guess what? Run! Just run/jog for ten minutes, stretch, then ten more minutes. No jumps or kicks today.

Sumo Squats:

Okay, either take a medium-weight barbell over your shoulders, or pick up something heavy between your legs. Have your feet about double shoulder-width apart, and drop down until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Slowly raise back up, and thats one rep. They're called "sumo" squats because of your wide stance. Do four sets of fifteen to twenty repeptitions.

Reverse Curls:

Take a dumbell, barbell, bucket of water, or your grandma and hold it/her at your side, your palms facing down. Slowly curl up, keeping your palm facing away from you. The emphasis here is your forearm and biceps brachii. These are important muscles for punching and basically anything involving arm movements. Do four sets of 12-15 repetitions, moving slowly.

Reverse Crunches On a Bench:

Okay, this is really hard. I'll admit it. Sit on a bench, supporting yourself at your sides with your hands (this is necessary as you might otherwise fall over). Lift your legs up and straight out, pointing your toes. Slowly crunch your knees to your chest, then slowly push back out. That's one rep. Do four sets of as many as you can.

Roman Chair Crunches:

If you have a roman chair, just do four sets of 15-20 reps on it. If not, and you have a bench, sit on it in the middle of the bench, with both feet together on one side. Have a friend stand or sit on your feet for support, then lean back until your torsoe is level with the floor (also very hard). Do four sets of 15-20 crunches, then get up and make your friend do it. He could lose some weight anyways. If you don't have a bench, just lay back and do four sets of crunches with your feet six inches off the ground. Do as many as you can for each set.

Lower Back Crunches ("Supermans"):

Lay on your stomach and put your hands either straight out in front of you or behind your head. Keeping your feet and hands together, lift your feet as far off the ground backwards as you can, while keeping your legs straight. At the same time, lift your chest and face off the ground and curl backwards as far as you can. Slowly lower all your parts and repeat. Do four sets of about 10-20 repetitions.

Short Gorilla's Stupid Hard Pushup Thingy:

Get into narrow pushup position, with your hands together, your thumbs and fore-fingers creating a triangle. Lower yourself, then explosively push up so that your hands leave the ground. In stead of clapping, move your hands out so that you land in a wide pushup position. Slowly lower yourself, then push up explosively until your hands leave the ground. In midair, move your hands back so you land with them close together again. That's one rep. Do four sets of 10-failure reps. Have fun.

This would be a good day to work on your tucks if you can do them. Be careful though, because all the important muscles for tucks will be tired now.

Cool down by stretching your hamstrings and trunk.

The next workout, the FRIDAY workout, will be the hardest one. Just you wait. Be safe, and train hard! See you on the rooftops!

FRIDAY

Okay, up until now you dudes have been working out like mad, and the enitre week has been a little rough if you're new to this. Fridays you will basically exhaust whats left of your muscles and do a little bit of everything.

Warmup:

Warm up with a light jog again, stretching at the halfway point, and make sure to stretch every joint. Jog for twenty minutes. If you have a stopwatch or a watch with a second hand, I want you to do tucks for one minute every three minutes. To do the tucks, every five or ten steps jump up as high as you can and tuck your knees to your chest.

Pushups:

Warm up your upperbody now by doing four sets of pushups, about twenty to thirty pushups per set.

Chinups:

Do three sets of chinups, keeping your arms at shoulder width, and holding the bar with your palms facing towards your body. For each set, do as many as you can to failure.

Ski Jumps:

I can't remember if I called them that, but if you remember earlier in the week I had you jumping in four directions over a heavy bag or a similarly sized object. Starting on the left side of the object, jump sideways over it, with your feet together, and land the same way. Then jump left, but turn around by spinning in the jump, and land on the opposite side, now facing backwards. Jump left, (not spinning) and land facing the same way. Now jump right, spinning in the jump, landing back in the starting position. Thats one rep. Do three sets of five reps.

Handstand Pushups:

Get into a handstand position with a wall or a partner about two feet behind you for support. Do as many pushups as you can. Repeat for three sets.

Box Jumps:

Take a box, some stairs, grandma, anything you can jump on and off of safely. Jump up onto it with your feet together, and immediately jump backwards and land in the starting position. To make it harder, I want you to squat between jumps at the bottom. To make sure you are squatting, keep your feet together, squat down bending your knees, and slap your heels with your fingertips. Then stand up and jump from a standing position.

Crunches, Superman, something you hate:

Lay on the floor with your feet six inches off the floor, but keep your legs straight. Keep your hands on your forehead or chest so you aren't cheating, and do ten crunches. Then flip over onto your stomach, stretching your arms as far over your head as you can and your legs as straight back as you can. Lift your arms and legs straight up like Superman, and hold for two counts. Repeat that ten times, then get on your hands in a pushups position. Push up so hard that your hands leave the ground, then clap. Land on your hands, go down, then repeat for ten reps.

That is one rep. Repeat that cycle four times.

At this point, if you have any energy left, practice whatever flips you like. Make sure to stretch out and warm down when you're all done, so you don't injure yourself. Good luck! Peace out, monkeys!

It's over!

No, I do not do this.

I'm a girl so mine is a bit crap, especially compared to Shoe, but I walk about 40 mins everyday plus use my exercise stepper. I try to do that everyday but I'm lazy sometimes.

I copied Jim and bought an exercise ball which I use a bit between stepping but I still haven't started using it much. I'll do some sit ups too but not many.

I'm thinking about playing Badmington every week or so too, I really like it but have never got around to actually going.

I sorta want to go and join my mom and her sister to the gym to get some exercise, but the problem is that it's quite expensive... =/

We used to run, mom and I, but I find running on a threadmill easier and maybe a bit more fun (they sometimes have tv screens and some cooling system on them). Plus the weather is usually a party pooper when we would want to do stuff outside.

So currently, nothing, apart from biking to school from time to time.

Hmmm, I walk down to university and back every day, so that is 40 minutes exercise. Then I usually walk to the local shops and back every day which is another 20 minutes. Then during the day I will usually run up and down the stairs about 10 times due to constantly forgeting things and when I enter my room always grab the top of the door frame and flip upside down on it. Oh I usually listen to music and dance while cooking (if nobody is around to watch). All in all it seems to keep me in reasonably good shape.

P.S. what do you actually do with an exercise ball?

I don't do a lot. I wlak lots of places, and try to do my crunches/pressups at night.

However, things have taken a turn. I signed up for the charity man auction - thus meaning I need to be a toned motherlover. So, starting later (hopefully) will be 3 miles logs daily, and some weights. Shabba.

Well I live 20 minutes away from where I have my lectures, so I do that journey at least once, sometimes twice a day. In fact, I do a lot of walking in general which I guess is what keeps me fit. I go caving and climbing too. Other than that I don't do too much, I don't have a regular exercise regime or anything. But then, I don't need one :wink:

PUSH-UPS, LEG-UPS, AND CRUNCHES.

I've been doing 3 sets of each (more if I'm bored/free) everyday for the past month and a half, and I've lost a ridiculous amount of weight because of it. I had an average body, and these three exercises slimmed me down and gave my abs and arms a nice sturdy look. I can see 4 of my 6 abdominal muscles now, by only using those three exercises.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!