Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Overrated and underrated Nintendo classics

Overrated

Mario Kart series

Surely you're not including Mario Kart 64 in that? The rest I can agree with!

You really are the stupidest shit imaginable aren't you?

But then, your liking of McFly was enough to testify to that fact anyway.

Spleen Vented; I shall now disappear for another week.

Yeah, ok, whatever you say - once again The Bard shows who the true 'shit' is as he proves that he still hasn't grasped the concept of opinion and continues to think what he believes is holier than the 10 fucking commandments!

Every game requires patience to get the most out of it, Metroid simply gave you more for your efforts, and nothing at all if you couldn't be bothered to try.

Its not like a gave up after 10 fucking minutes, I played it for quite some time, dunno where til exactly but it was easily 10-15 hours, so its not like I didn't put any time in! I just slowly lost interest in it!

Why don't you do everyone a favour and just go back to slowly killing your liver (sooner, rather than later, please) with the huge amounts of alcohol you drink!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underrated - Mario Kart: Double Dash

Overrated - Super mario Kart, & Super Circuit. and fuck the Bard, Gran Turismo is way overrated.

You clearly don't read. I never said GT was underrated, infact, I think it's a huge crock of shite. Read my post again, or don't, whatever you want, just stop being a fucktard.

man that was overated.fzero is the better game in almost every way

I agree, Double dash was unbelievably overrated, GX was a true hardcore, competitive racer that was not only fun, but took time and skill to master.

Twilight Link: Ah, the ever relevant argument of differing opinions, forever the saviour of the asinine. Of course, it was Hitlers opinion that Jews and homosexuals were to blame for all the worlds faults, and in being so makes it automatically valid...or so you seem to be saying. The fact remains, linky doo, that the majority of your opinions are unfounded and shallow...to say the least, not to mention the fact that nobody really cares about them, at all anyway, what with you being a totally inconsequential and disinteresting member of the forums, not to mention oh so reheeehly annoying.

Oh and coincidentially, speaking of alcohol, I currently discovered Amaretto. Some good shit right there. Try it out.

Overrated

Metroid (especially the Primes)

Wind Waker

Underrated

Pikmin

Starfox Adventures

Mario Smash Football

There's probably more, but thats all I can think of right now!

No to everything (except pikmin). Metroid Prime deserves its rightful place among the best games ever, there is simply no other 3-d adventure that can match Prime's exploration and satisfaction at being rewarded. Wind Waker was still very decent, I think the argument that the "triforce hunt" ruined it is rather pathetic, and it's also arguably the most polished Zelda title. I won't go into my hatred of Starfox adventures, and I haven't really played smash football.

Reading back through the thread, I'm gonna counter some points.

Mario Kart: Double Dash did indeed give me plenty of fun. Mario Kart 64 gave me more but that was because I was at a different stage of my life. Double Dash was great fun for races but not so much for battling as the previous two were. I'm not sure if the official rating of the game is high or not, so I'll leave that to Solitanze to reveal to us in due course. IGN gave it a seven or an eight and thats lower than the amount of fun I got from it.

Wind Waker was and is a great game. I never got through my second play through but thats just because I didnt have the time nor the motivation seeing as I'd already completed it once. Even with the Triforce Shard Hunt at the end the game is still a classic. Definitely not underrated.

I few ones I didnt put on my list were Mario Footy and StarFox Adventures. I really like em both - Footy has given me plenty of 2-4 player madness and proves that the Wii one should be great. SFA was superb at the time and still is, the only thing that let me down was that it was a little too straight forward and there was nothing to do to deviate from the story. Still, with great graphics, great playability and great fun while it lasts it stands as being a great GameCube game. :smile:

Metroid is still overrated and you know, Smash Bros might be as well. But I'm willing to let that one off. :heh:

The Metroid series isn't really for everyone. The Prime games, for example, require the patience of a saint. I went through a period where I hated the first game, before forcing myself to play it.

Yes, there was accomplishment. But, there were many, many tears.

Eh? You can't even pretend the Prime games were hard? How on earth can you say they required patience, they were beautiful and a joy to play. Plus, you could always turn on the hint system, and then you'd have to be an utter buffoon to fail/

Eh? You can't even pretend the Prime games were hard? How on earth can you say they required patience, they were beautiful and a joy to play. Plus, you could always turn on the hint system, and then you'd have to be an utter buffoon to fail/

I thought the first game was pretty hard, and I did get frustrated on my many attempts of Meta-Ridley.

At times, I did find myself having to just grit my teeth and force myself to get past specific bits in the game. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, and you're right, many parts are beautiful and a joy to play. But, I would say that the game does require a lot of time and patience. It's not something like the Wind Waker where you could play for short intervals, but something you had to just stick at really.

We're probably going to disagree, but I think there will be others who agree with either of our opinions. I think many will have loved this game, loved it but found it difficult, hated it due to difficulty. One of those three. :heh:

Ok given more time I could probably think of loads but here are a few off the top of my head.

UNDERRATED

Mario Bros 2

Alot of people give this game a hard time due to it not being a "proper" Mazza game but I personally loved it. I remember my mate getting it for his NES and playing it all day, it took us a while but we finally finished it. This was the first time I had controlled Toad and despite being a poor character for the game 9 princess was the best IMO ) I fell in love with his character and have used him ever since whatevr games he has been in.

Chibi Robo

Not an underrated game for the review scores but by the lack of people who actually bought this game. Although it just came out last year its value has shot up drastically due to the short print it had. It was easily one of the best games for any console last year with its beautiful music and sound effects and lovable characters. Cleaning your bedroom was never so much fun and I cant wait for the DS sequel.

OVERRATED

Metroid Series

Yes im aware of the backlash others are getting for this but I have to agree. The whole Metroid series just never clicked for me. I bought a Snes around 4 years ago off ebay and got a bunch of titles that I never played as a kid, Super Metroid was one of these. I had heard so many great things about it so I decided to get involved only to be very disappointed by the whole thing. I ended up finishing it but was left with a meh feeling.

When Metroid Prime came along I bought it as I usually get all Nintendos titles but I never played it for many months to come as I just couldnt bring myself around to do so. When I did finally get into it I did enjoy it but not as musch as everyone else, the same goes for Prime 2.

Even the GBA titles I had the same problem with I bought Fusion and game it a go but just couldnt get into it. Clearly the series is not for me yet I will still keep buying and trying them.

Mario Kart 64

Another game which has sparked many arguments in my life, we were even on about this at work today due to the release of the VC edition. Its not that it was a bad game its just that compared to all the others it pales in comparison. The single player mode just didnt hit it with me, probably because I was spolit by the awesomeness that was DKR. I do admit that the multiplayer was un though and yes despite thinking that it is overrated I have rebought it on the VC.

I thought the first game was pretty hard, and I did get frustrated on my many attempts of Meta-Ridley.

At times, I did find myself having to just grit my teeth and force myself to get past specific bits in the game. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, and you're right, many parts are beautiful and a joy to play. But, I would say that the game does require a lot of time and patience. It's not something like the Wind Waker where you could play for short intervals, but something you had to just stick at really.

We're probably going to disagree, but I think there will be others who agree with either of our opinions. I think many will have loved this game, loved it but found it difficult, hated it due to difficulty. One of those three. :heh:

Yeah, I see your point about Meta-Ridley, he was one bad ass boss. I remember getting all the way through to him with 100% scans and then saved it after forgetting to scan him, grrr. The anger was unbelievable.

I think if it had a flaw it ws the lack of dual analogue control. I know saying that will piss people of, but it's true. The shoot out section could really have done with that as an option.

Yeah, I see your point about Meta-Ridley, he was one bad ass boss. I remember getting all the way through to him with 100% scans and then saved it after forgetting to scan him, grrr. The anger was unbelievable.

AWESOME! I did exactly the same thing, was annoying as hell wasnt it? I didnt play it for a few weeks after that due to being gutted. I then realized that I had to beat the game on Hard anyway to get some unlockables so I got the scans when doing that, after I calmed down of course.

You clearly don't read. I never said GT was underrated, infact, I think it's a huge crock of shite. Read my post again, or don't, whatever you want, just stop being a fucktard.

YOU clearly don't read, i never said you didn't think it was underrated. Just that its not on a Nintendo console, but i still want to say it. Don't jump to conclusions.

And to ReZ man (i think it was). How the fuck is F-Zero better than Double Dash? F-Zero is just flaoting cars that go very fast, that's all it ever has been, DD has much more.

SO if i didn't already.

Overrated:

Any F-Zero.

Under-rated

Soul Calibur II

In my opinion completely over shadowed by the original and probably a better game apart from the addition of the awful gimmick characters.

Mario Kart 64

By far my favourite of the series now, i never played much when i was a kid but i just bought the VC game i can't put it down, honestly its so much fun and insane fast... INSANE fast.

Killer 7

So, the gameplay wasn't great and at times it felt tiresome, but my god it had one of the best stories i've ever seen in my entire life. So many twists, nothing made sense right untill the very end.

Overrated

Any RPG series... ever.

As much as i love a story, RPG's do nothing for me with their mostly dated combat systems and clichés.

The N64 Zelda games

Tbh, these have nothing on the GC Zelda's. OoT is massivly over rated and rose tinted as FF7 is and MM had a frustrating time system. I like to take my time with something, not rushed into it or lose all my items >_>.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Bag... of...crap....

I adore every Metroid game ever made, but Echoes infuriated me. Awful level design, clichéd to fuck weapons system, stupid dark world. Everything was just WRONG in that game.

Under-rated

Soul Calibur II

In my opinion completely over shadowed by the original and probably a better game apart from the addition of the awful gimmick characters.

Mario Kart 64

By far my favourite of the series now, i never played much when i was a kid but i just bought the VC game i can't put it down, honestly its so much fun and insane fast... INSANE fast.

Killer 7

So, the gameplay wasn't great and at times it felt tiresome, but my god it had one of the best stories i've ever seen in my entire life. So many twists, nothing made sense right untill the very end.

Overrated

Any RPG series... ever.

As much as i love a story, RPG's do nothing for me with their mostly dated combat systems and clichés.

The N64 Zelda games

Tbh, these have nothing on the GC Zelda's. OoT is massivly over rated and rose tinted as FF7 is and MM had a frustrating time system. I like to take my time with something, not rushed into it or lose all my items >_>.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Bag... of...crap....

I adore every Metroid game ever made, but Echoes infuriated me. Awful level design, clichéd to fuck weapons system, stupid dark world. Everything was just WRONG in that game.

while i would have to agree in a way about rpgs(they do get boring)

mario kart 64 is overated.it has pretty bad graphics even for its time, i think and is fairly glitchy but still the second best mario kart ever(mario kart ds is by far the best)

Metroid prime 2 wasn't completely awful.You just found it hard.We all did it was infuriating.i completed it and never felt happier.It does leave you feeling satified with yourself

OOT is the most overated game of all time and im not joking.its a very good game but seriously some fans need to get over themselves.it wasnt perfect

Soul calibur 2 is awesome.one of the best beat em ups last gen

mcj: You don't like the Zelda series that much anyway so you were never going to feel what we felt with OOT.

Course the game wasn't perfect but to me it's the greatest game ever made and a lot of fans agree.

Why should we 'get over ourselves' just because you disagree?

RPGs are some of the games I like most so if, I would say they are underrated :)

Anway: Overrated: Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64.

I really like Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong Country but their 64-Counterparts were not even nearly that great (btw.: I liked Super Mario Sunshine much more than Super Mario 64 although both might not be the best Mario Games but Sunshine was not that bad; I liked that one - but not liked Super Mario 64)...

Underrated: I would say Lufia (don't know how much it is known but if you ask me definitally one of the best SNES-Games ever)... I would really like to see it on VC and also to see a sequel on the Wii....

Of course, I could say more things but that is what came to my mind first...

EDIT:

To Zelda: If you ask me: I really liked Zelda OoT (would never say that it is overrated) but I think e.g. that MM would have been better if it had more dungeons, same for TWW would have been better if it had more dungeons instead of the Triforce collecting thing but after all that one I liked more than OoT and TP was better than all the others I mentioned yet although not perfect. It maybe could have lost to TWW if TWW would have had more dungeons instead of the Triforce collcting at the end.

But I don't know where to put OoT: Master Quest, if you ask me that one was definitally better than MM but don't know if I liked it more than TWW (don't think so; at least I liked TP more). The biggest problem with Master Quest probably is that it got released to the public far too late (otherwise...)

EDIT2:

Overrated: StarFox Adventures. I liked the game but it was far too easy. Also the puzzles were more than obvious and nearly every time something like the same AND it was far too short. If at least it would have been longer it could have been much better and if there were then some better puzzles too it could really have gotten a great game but so...

EDIT3:

Don't know how they got ratted or accepted by the people but:

I think the PSO-Titles were underrated, also Episode 3. They were great. Maybe only Episode 1&2 miss something like a story mode (like in PSU). There was a story but it could have been much better with an appropriate mode, especially because some things are still not clear to me - OK that might be because there would be a need for Episode 4 or 5 or something like this (OK, there is one for Blue Burst but well)...

PSU is good too but it has no offline multiplay so not that good (if later there will be a PSU version with offline mutliplay it would be a great game too)...

EDIT4:

Overrated: Fire Emblem - if you ask me a great game but still just only going from battles to battles gets a bit boring if you could travel on the map too and there would be some puzzles too it would be much more interesting but that is just my opinion...

And yet you love Zelda games which have stories more clichéd than practically every RPG...

To be honest, i've never played a Zelda game for a storyline specifically. But yeah, they're clichéd to fuck.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!