N-Europe

Dodgems or Bumper Cars?

rokhed00

Me and the missus have been having an argument abot, of all things, Dodgems/Bumper Cars. The missus thinks you are meant to avoid everything and not crash, and that's why they're called Dodgems. I think you're meant to crash into each other, because they're Bumper cars.

But names aside, what is the objective of them?

Depends how safety-conscious the park owner is, to be honest. And how anal the ride operator is.

At the park I work at we're supposed to "encourage" the guests to drive normally and go round the track anti-clockwise. There are a couple of ride operators there who strictly enforce this rule and tell people off for bumping.

However when i'm the operator it's a no-holds-barred battle royale. I encourage kids to smash the shit out of others. Where's the fun in driving normally?

Either name, I've never been interested in them. Usually because its stupid prices like £5 for a token for like 10 minutes, and to be quite honest as a child I'm not going to pay to bump into stuff when I could do that in my garden.

Using two dictionaries:

Dodgems: bumper car, small electrically powered vehicle driven on a special platform where there are many others to be dodged

Bumpercar:Bumper car is the generic name for a type of flat ride consisting of several small electric cars that draw their power from an overhead grid, which is turned off by the operator at the end of a session. They are also known as dodgem cars. A rubber bumper surrounds each vehicle, and drivers ram each other as they travel. The controls are usually an accelerator and a steering wheel. The car can be made to go backwards by turning the steering wheel far enough in either direction, necessary in the frequent pile-ups that occur.

ask her this. if the whole point is for there to be no impact why dont people just stay still? that would be the best form of dodging.

answer: BORING.

she will agree if not threaten to never take her anywhere again because she embarreses you too much. it always works.

Either name, I've never been interested in them. Usually because its stupid prices like £5 for a token for like 10 minutes, and to be quite honest as a child I'm not going to pay to bump into stuff when I could do that in my garden.

Well If you go to a theme park with them, they're more-or-less 'free' :heh:

I call them both, never thought it actually mattered.

Depends how safety-conscious the park owner is, to be honest. And how anal the ride operator is.

At the park I work at we're supposed to "encourage" the guests to drive normally and go round the track anti-clockwise. There are a couple of ride operators there who strictly enforce this rule and tell people off for bumping.

However when i'm the operator it's a no-holds-barred battle royale. I encourage kids to smash the shit out of others. Where's the fun in driving normally?

ell-oh-ell. :laughing: