N-Europe

My First Gig

Fierce_LiNk

If you saw my post in the "post your meaningless post" thread, you will know what this is about.

For those of you who have missed it, my friends have asked me to be a "stand-in" drummer for a gig which takes place in two weeks.

I got called up yesterday, completely out of the blue, and was asked if i could do it. I said...yeeessss.

But, it suddenly dawned on me what they were asking. I was a bit intimidated to play infront of friends, as i hate being judged. Now, i'm a bit scared about playing this gig.

The reason behind it is that i am scared people will judge me. The last thing i want is for people to say "oh, he was a shit drummer", or my mates to hate me if i mess up. I messed up a few times during the practice yesterday, but after a break, i was refreshed and got really into it.

Thing is, i am scared of people judging me. I was scared that they would say to me, "uuuh, you're rubbish, don't come back!" It's not just with music that i feel this. If i have to talk infront of a group, i sometimes feel really really light-headed and i get a sick feeling in my stomach. Sometimes, it doesn't feel like the real me is talking. I think i do have bad nerves too, but i have definitely grown in confidence since i went to uni.

But, still, i am quite worried right now about this.

My questions to you:

What can i do to ease myself?

Have you ever had experiences like this?

And finally, if you did have experiences like this, what did you do to ease yourself?

Firstly, if you're nervous, have a pint before you go on, it wont fuck you up, it'll help you relax and get into your stride. Secondly, even if you do mess up, gigging is a vital experience for any musician, any idiot can sit in his room and play, but playing a set list in front of an audience will improve you like nothing else, so see it as more of a learning experience than a chance to impress your mates.

A year ago, my and my mates were in a gigging frenzy, we finally had a working band so we played our asses off, everywhere we could find an empty slot we said fuck it, and played. I messed up a little bit here and there, but not enough for people to notice, but your experience builds your nerves, and you start to get into the music and forget about the crowd.

Edit:...oh wait, shit, i forgot, you can't drink. damn.

Don't worry man. I had about three or four gigs already, and everything went fine. Sure, due to being a bit nervous it's possible to screw up (like I did multiple times), but people won't notice, they're just there to have a good time. But you're probably a good drummer anyway.

Just think of it like this man, you're playing infront of people you know. If theyre good guys, theyre not going to Judge you atall, youve helped them out in a tight spot and theyll be thankful for it.

I dont reckon youll screw up though, if your committed enough to manage THESE forums, you must be a half decent drummer.

By the way, are you playing cover versions or have they got some of their own material lined up?

The Bard: Good advice (apart from the drinking bit, haha), it'll definitely be an experience. I know i'll learn from it, i'm just a bit worried about the actual day, tough. Hmm.

Tom: It's a college campus in Wales.

EchoDesiato: I haven't really played much within the last year, because i couldn't take my kit to uni with me.

Zygo: Heh, thanks. We'll be playing their own material, which means i have to learn all their songs in two weeks. Oh noes! Although, they have given me a tape of them playing, so it makes it easier to learn their songs.

I'd love to say its easy, but the truth of it is that its even worse being a drummer because you are the beat of the song, and if you mess up everyone will hear it, and it could possibly through the other instruments off. That being said, make sure you learn all the songs perfectly, then its just a case of saying I can play everything fine, just imagine it as another practice sessiosn. As much as it sounds easier to say than do, you cant be nervous, if your nervous, your tight and tense, which do not go well with rythmn. Just loosen up and be confident.

Just go out there and have fun, I've had to give speaches to over 750 people and that was scary. I'd recomend just zoning yourself out, just go out there and do it. The hardest part is the beginning, just don;t think about doing it or the people out there. You've practices, so just go out and do that again. If you mess up just stop and pick up, people will notice but they'll also notice that you got back into correctly, theres such a good atmosphere at most gigs, people won't care or judge you if you do mess up. After the 10 or so minutes you get use to it and you'll start to perform and enjoy it.

Good luck

And thats why some of them end up beating the hell out of their fans or, worse, going awol.

Pete Doherty Anyone?

Ah the rock n roll life style.

Pere Doherty is just a tit end of story.

Don't worry flinky you will do great :D

In response to your questions, I've not had an experience exactly like this but I did have to make a speech in front of a third of the school.

I just made sure I knew exactly what I was going to say and when I was going to say it. It is just practice, know what you are going to do, then just do it. I just blocked out the audience entirely, I just knew when to pause or when to carry on speaking.

I know it's different, but for other people making speeches, when you make an important point, leave a decent sized pause after it to give the people a chance to realise it is actually an important thing you're saying.

To calm nerves, I didn't really do anything, I wasn't really all that nervous to being with. I was shitting myself the night before about it, but as I said before, I knew what I was going to do and I just did it.

I had to do 4 Drama performances at school. My first one was where I was most nervous as it was the first one and I wasn't so comfortable with doing Drama at this time plus I was performing in the school hall which made it more nerve-racking but I got through it in the end.

My second performance was a smaller piece in a smaller classroom with a smaller audience, I was more comfortable with Drama this time as I'd been doing it longer.

My third performance was the main performance and it was in the same classroom but it was a longer piece with a larger audience, plus we were first group up, but by this time I was very comfortable with doing Drama and I didn't get nervous at all.

My last performance was in with an even smaller audience (they were Year 5's) and again we were first group. But as this was a comedy I was a lot more comfortable, like lying on a nice new bed.

I suppose the lesson to take away from this lecture is that I don't half bloody go on. :o

Anyway, you'll do fine Flinky. If you don't enter the stage negative, your performance won't be. :wink:

1)What can i do to ease myself?

1)To ease yourself, or calm yourself down why not buy a vial of Rescue Remedy? Its a natural remedy for nerves.

2)Have you ever had experiences like this?

Yes I have played gigs before, I also played for a friends and my sisters Leaving Cert Music Practical exam (A-Levels....maybe???). I have been is about 15 Plays and Musicals and have done work for RTÉ and BBC before.

3)And finally, if you did have experiences like this, what did you do to ease yourself?

To calm myself down for these occasions I took the simple approach. I made sure I was wearing comfortable (suitable) clothes, made sure I had a cold bottle of water and took a few deep breaths before I went on.

The apprehension of the gig is worse than the actual gig itself. Just think of it as a jammin' session and relax and enjoy yourself.

Remember, if you dont feel nervous there's something wrong. Its perfectly normal to be nervous. Take a deep breath, give them the count in, and play your heart out!

Best of luck!

:)

Play with a blindfold! then you wont see the crowd and get nervous.

Persoanlly ive enver found drumming blindfolded any harder, as long as you know where each drum/cymbal is..

though ive never drummed before a crowd, i used to paly classical guitar with a music school, and palyed in the town hall, i used to jsut stare tat the music, and nothing else as not to see the crowd, so maybe if you keep your eyes on the drums, just a thought.

Well i've got a few friends in a band, one was in the town center so thats a bit nerve racking.

All they say is just pretend its just you and your band, or the audience are your friends checking it out. I know its shit advice, but it works.

How i know it works is another story, they gave me that advice when they got me to do a cameo. In the middle of their session, during the bass solo i had to get up on stage and dance like a fricken lunatic. I did so, with much positive response =)

Good luck fierce, remember teh advice!

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

Right now, i'm listening to the tape that the guys have put together. It's got their drummers work on it, so i can here what sort of stuff to go for.

So far, i think i can bring something new to it. Some new ideas. There's a few songs where i think "hmmm, at this point, i did this and this whereas the drummer did this and this."

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump, but there have been developments.

We haven't had a practice all week. There was even talk of pulling out of the gig, which left me a bit disappointed.

However, today, we had a practice, and the guys said that they felt confident having me as the drummer. We've got another practice tomorrow, and then Saturday is the big day!

All week, i've been listening to that tape, and they said that it really paid off. Apparantly, i've improved A LOT since last week.

w00t! The show will go on!

I don't want this to come out badly but... in my experience nobody will notice if the drummer plays well or screws up unless he is really, really amazing or absolutely terrible. So if you think everythings going great, or you're doing better lately... or even average I think you'll just be part of the show and the whole thing will come together just fine :)

The apprehension of the gig is worse than the actual gig itself. Just think of it as a jammin' session and relax and enjoy yourself.

Conzer makes a good point. It's totally normal to feel nervous beforehand, but trust me, once you're on stage you'll be fine. You've clearly been practicing a lot and if the other guys have confidence in you there really shouldn't be any problems.

I've always been so terrified when I've had to perform in front of a crowd. I was in a few dramas in school, and I've had to do some presentations in college. But I've always found as long as I focus on doing the best I can it all just falls into place. Remember, the crowd aren't there just to pick out any mistakes you might make. They're there to support you. Best of luck anyway, try and get a few recordings for us!