NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

Wii would not be last to launch this generation (but it is)

Except that Nintendo never promised to launch before PS3, just that launch would be before end of year. And ask Europeans and Australians about PS3 and how long it is going to take before they can buy it. Worldwide launch my ass...

we’d be playing Smash Bros. online at launch (we won’t — or any other game online until next year)

Pokemon Battle Revolution comes out in Japan before end of this year and features online play.

- and the psychological price gap between the Wii and the Xbox 360 isn’t really any larger than the difference between the GameCube and the original Xbox depending on what accessories you want to buy with it at launch.

Same was said about DS and PSP.

- Oh, and there’s no Metroid Prime 3 until 2007 and the system will launch without a Mario game after all. That’s a lot of broken promises.

Except that Nintendo didn't promise Mario to be in launch. That was just wishful thinking by media.

Very valid, but this is a personal opinion for the west. And just because the same was said about DS and PSP, doesnt mean it'd always apply. I think every console by Nintendo has had a mario launch title i think, so they kinda ruined the tradition.

EDIT: Jordan brought to my attention that cube didnt have a mario launch title, but atleast he appeared in a launch title for it. I dont think wii has one..

Not valid at all actually. Those things might be true, but first, the difference between the PS3 and Wii launch is ridiculously small, DVD playback is useless and a lot of games get delayed. Making this seems like huge very important promises were broken is a typical troll move. The price difference is small? I direct you attention to Caris' post:

ts fine, Its £20 less than a Xbox360 Core and lets look what you get.

Xbox360Core:

-Console

-Leads

-Wired Pad

-Silver Live

Nintendo Wii:

-Console (with inbuilt memory)

-Leads

-Wiimote

-Nunchuck

-Wii sports game

-Stand

-Sensor Bar

-Fully online out the box (Wii Connect 24)

Quote:

Just to add to the first post the wii has built in wi-fi where as you would have to buy the 360 wireless adapter if you wanted wireless on the 360

Quote:

Good point that. The wireless adapter for the 360 is an excessive £60!

Now if we added up from the Core what we would need to bring it up to the Wii's bundle it would be:

HDD: £60

Wireless pad: £30

Gold Live £30 for 1 year

Game: £40

Live Headset: £15

All that brings it up to £175 on top of the Cores price.

Stupid people annoy me.

EDIT: Oh and let's not talk about Sony's broken promises mmmkay?

Still considering this was from a wii roundtable discussion, its discussing the wii, not the PS3. The same has been said for PS3 any ways.

You know the original Xbox was £300, there's quite abig difference from £180 to £300...

You should already know that you can't say "Ignorant" without IGN. :)

Peer Schneider, IGN Big Cheese: Although Nintendo downplays that it’s over promised on a few accounts, let’s not forget that we’ve been told that Wii would not be last to launch this generation (but it is), it’ll play DVDs (it won’t), we’d be playing Smash Bros. online at launch (we won’t — or any other game online until next year), and the psychological price gap between the Wii and the Xbox 360 isn’t really any larger than the difference between the GameCube and the original Xbox depending on what accessories you want to buy with it at launch. Oh, and there’s no Metroid Prime 3 until 2007 and the system will launch without a Mario game after all. That’s a lot of broken promises.

I couldnt care about DVD playback, but this guy has a point.

I agree, quite a few promises have been broken, but i kinda expected it.

I always knew Mario wouldn't be there. I'm very surprised about Metroid, as it was confirmed for launch at E3 in may, so...something must be wrong with it. Smash Bros again was confirmed for launch, but we saw, so little of it, it was bound to not be a launch title.

The DVD playback, well i'm glad they decided not to put that in, that would mean the Wii would be £200 at least and i would like to see peoples reactions then! 'Get rid of the damn DVD playback, most people have one' i can hear it now. :)

And launching last again? There not are they? :)

Overall, yes i agree with what the IGN person is saying, but i'm kinda over it all. I just want the damn thing.

:wink:

Oh I would lke to edit my statement to Tony Hawks Downhill Jam will be online at launch( according to the boxart)

Oh I would lke to edit my statement to Tony Hawks Downhill Jam will be online at launch( according to the boxart)

For reals or are you just BS, cause I haven't been paying attention to this game much.

For reals or are you just BS, cause I haven't been paying attention to this game much.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=5762

There you go its cot the WiFi connection on it and its pretty letimate boxart, only one with the logo on, but remember how Tony Hawks launched the DS service makes kinda sense

http://gonintendo.com/?p=5762

There you go its cot the WiFi connection on it and its pretty letimate boxart, only one with the logo on, but remember how Tony Hawks launched the DS service makes kinda sense

Also remember that Tony Hawk Downhill Jam was listed as a first online game in Wi-fi page, that Nintendo's webmaster had accidentally put into public folder. But we must also remember that Wi-Fi Connection logo can simply mean that game is using WiiConnect24 in some way.

I highly dount it I reckon that has a different logo put in a similiar way that Net Play with PS2 is put on their box covers

Only promises Nintendo have broken are DVD and Smash. Bit annoyed about the DVD but I've got a PC. Smash... well there are still plenty other games to play.

Let us counter: Hefty 3rd party support with amazing looking games. Massive industry interest. Controller of wonders. A bucket load of VC games a month! onlone SMS. Picture viewer. Connect24. Affordable games. Consistent stream of games from release.

DVD playback doesnt bother me so much because I have a DVD player and computer but its just kinda easier to have it all in one and take up less entertainment system space. I agree with Jamba on the Smash bros, i could wait forever for this game because i know it will blow me away when i finally get it.

Nintendo does tend to break promises a lot if profit is involved. They should promise less, but then again, Iwata will get lynched by the fanboys.

To those who mention broken promises from Nintendo:

guinness.jpg

I wanted optical line out, DVD playback more than all those AAA Nintendo titles on launch. What's wrong with spacing them out, instead of swamping all the 3rd party developper's sales by releasing all the Nintendo fan's favourite games at launch.

Space it out, gives longevity and helps out sales of third party games.

Reggie will give you Wii, personally, in NYC on November 19 at midnight.

In an interview with ABC, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime revealed that he will be on-hand in New York City at midnight on November 19 to hand over the very first purchased Nintendo Wii consoles.

Fils-Aime did not say where in New York fans can line-up to receive their Wii from the man himself, but it is likely he will be at the Nintendo World Store, which is located in Rockefeller Center.

Wii launches November 19, 2006 for $249.99 in US.

Video Interview.

Are you sure they said Smash Brothers would be online and out at launch, or it would be playable online, when the game launches?

Are you sure they said Smash Brothers would be online and out at launch, or it would be playable online, when the game launches?

Next year Ashley.

Are you sure they said Smash Brothers would be online and out at launch

Satoru Iwata said that at Nintendo's E3 2005 conference.

Must not disassemble! Must not disassemble! Nun chuck is alive!

Need INPUT... ... ...

shortcircuit13.jpg

Reggie handing out Wii's personally? Sounds good! I wonder if Australia will get anyone at launch...

Nope.

No what I mean is did they basically say (but not in these words);

"Smash Brothers will launch on December 8th, and be online."

or

"Smash Brothers will be online when it launches" ?