NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

From here Triforce Keeper.
That's only for Japan.

So US Wii fans are getting Wii Sports as a pack-in for the launch of the Wii, but the poor Japanese have been left in the cold…or have they. While these two items may not equal each other, it appears that the Japanese public will be able to download the Opera browser for free until June 2007. That is what the Japanese site is stating anyway.
Source: http://gonintendo.com/?p=5592

About the vc games, the info that you bought them will also be stored in the mii right? I read it somewhere but not sure...

About the vc games, the info that you bought them will also be stored in the mii right? I read it somewhere but not sure...

Its stored on the Wii's internal flash memory i think, and also on Nintendo severs so you never have to pay for it again even if you delted it.

3rd party are pissed off about the console's Wii Sports bundle? :hmm:

Nintendo announced Thursday that its new game console, called Wii, will launch in North and South America on Nov. 19 with a $250 price tag and a bundled sports game.

Compared to the $600 PlayStation 3, which also launches in November, Wii is a good deal for gamers. But reactions from game publishers have been mixed, since bundled games usually mean reduced sales of additional software.

"From a third-party standpoint, we'd prefer to have a platform without a bundle," said Scott Steinberg, vice president of marketing at San Francisco game maker Sega. "There's a vote for 'no bundle' from every third party we've talked to."

The game included in the package, Wii Sports, features a variety of sports minigames that use the console's unique motion-sensitive controller, which is shaped like a television remote.

Hold the controller like a golf club and you can nudge it to sink a putt. Or put it over your shoulder like a baseball bat and swing for the bleachers.

Bundling a game with the hardware "obviously takes away sales, because people have one more game to play," says Laurent Detoc, president of the North American division of Ubisoft. "But it helps (Nintendo) reinforce their ability to launch successfully.

"The real battle," Detoc says, "is how fast do you get to five million units? That will generate (more) software sales over time."

Nintendo has announced that it will ship 4 million Wii consoles by the end of the year versus Sony's announcement of only 2 million units of PlayStation 3.

Ubisoft has a lot riding on Wii. The French publisher is poised to take the lion's share of third-party software sales when they ship eight Wii games this calendar year, compared to only two for PlayStation 3.

In addition to an original game called Red Steel, in which players swing the Wii controller to slash with a katana, Ubisoft will also ship versions of its hit Splinter Cell and Rayman series this year.

This puts the company out in front of super-publisher Electronic Arts, which will ship only two Wii games, including its best-selling Madden football franchise, this year.

Even though EA's bread and butter is the sports genre, the company doesn't see the bundled Wii Sports as competition. "We're not concerned at all," said a company spokesperson. "We think (Nintendo's) sports stuff looks really great and fun."

Sega also sees a silver lining. "Quite frankly, Wii Sports is going to be a great way for the Wii controller to be showcased," said Steinberg. "So I think there will still be lots of interest in other titles because of the unique controller."

Besides Wii Sports, Nintendo will have its own home-grown games Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Excite Truck available at launch for $50.

The Nov. 19 launch means that Wii will debut in the Americas. In Japan -- Nintendo's home territory, where its products are more popular -- Wii will launch on Dec. 2 for 25,000 yen (about $212) with no game included.

This morning, Nintendo also took the wraps off the machine's final feature, which it calls "Wii Channel". From the same menu used to boot games, users can browse the web, edit and share photos with friends, and get free news and weather updates from dedicated services.

Other functions of the hardware include "Mii Channel," which will allow users to customize character faces that will then be automatically inserted into compatible Wii software. WiiSports will use the customized faces you create as the faces of your in-game tennis players, for example.

Built-in memory in the Wii controller will allow users to store their Mii caricatures on the controller, then take them to a friend's house.

And a "Wii Shop" channel will allow users to download an assortment of classic games from Nintendo's older consoles, as well as games that appeared on other older game systems like Sega Genesis. (Sega expects specific titles to be announced in the next month, but its classic Sonic the Hedgehog is a sure bet.)

These games, as well as the Opera web browser used to surf the internet, can be purchased with a credit card or by buying Wii Points cards at retail stores. The game downloads will range from $5 to $10.

www.wired.com

Makes sense. Any free game provided by Nintendo is a game not sold by a third party. If Nintendo gets all people playing through Wii Sports however, then third parties will only profit from it.

Hey third parties aren't gonna give a s**t if the Wii sells loads, and their games follow suit, and packaging in a game might make that a reality.

That gave me an idea. Wouldn't it look hot if you got a Wii with this kinda colour style:

shirt1.jpg

Might see if there are any custom decals for Wii on the net yet.

Can anyone tell me if you can use the Gamecube pad to control VC games?

I like the sound of that. But then it won't go with the design of the Wii.

I really like that idea, will save me at least £14.

That green look awesome, i so hope they do faceplates .... >_>

I'd love a fully green Wii in that shade of green.

In the Japanese Wii-vent (sorry) they mention that when you but a classic controller you get a 2,000 Wii-point card in the box!!

But I don't remember it for the US of Europe, any info anyone???

In the Japanese Wii-vent (sorry) they mention that when you but a classic controller you get a 2,000 Wii-point card in the box!!

But I don't remember it for the US of Europe, any info anyone???

dunno, but for US it'll be something like 20 dolars for a 2000 wii-point card.

dunno, but for US it'll be something like 20 dolars for a 2000 wii-point card.

Exactly my point, if it is the case then paying £15 for £14 worth of Wii-points and a controller, Who can complain??

(Obvious answer, everyone on here it seems!!!)

That means we are buying 2 N64 games for £14. TBH, i think that is a bit steep, so i might be picky with my N64 games, and get the ones i want the most, not to get just to have in my possesion.

However i like the pricing of NES and SNES games.