Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Funny, I don't remember the original Avatar.

You never saw either Fern, Dances With Woves or Pocahontas? It's funny though, to think that Dances With Wolves may be the first movie ever to win two Academy Awards for Best Picture.

It's more like a re-imagining.

The point remains moot, as much as I respect Avatar.

Talking of casual nudity:

Head On

alex+dimitriades+2.jpg

A film about Greek immigrants living in Australia. Basically the main guy is like 23 or something (25?), and has really overbearing Greek parents, and they keep tabs on him all the time, so he's really weird and takes drugs and has really brutal gay sex - (although it's unclear whether he's gay or bi, because he also goes down on a girl) - but he's really hot, so it's fine.

Quite good for what could have been a really shit movie - there's quite a shocking scene where they get arrested and a policeman beats up a tranny. Also quite uncliche, because at the end he finally gets with his love interest from throughout the film, and he goes really weird and starts like raping him, and they fight and at the end he's on his own, with no job and no direction in life etc etc.

Shit, but good. And has hot sex scenes that don't feel gratuitous, so it's great.

6.7/10

Plenty of films out their are similar to others, share concepts, themes and ideas, I don't see what the big deal is...

There is no "big deal". That's exactly the point. It's a good enough movie, yeah, and it's quite pretty. But other than that, there is no big deal. You're the ones who keep turning it into a big deal, like it reinvented the wheel or something.

Also, "sharing concepts, themes and ideas" isn't the same as saying "the plot is exactly the same with a different setting". The only really clever thing the film brought into the plot that's it's own is the whole dual existence thing, which is awesome. But wherever you look, it keeps being hailed as the 5th coming of Christ or something. *sigh*

I'm so bored of Avatar discussions, I'm gonna break it up with some casual nudity.

Along came Polly

A guilty pleasure of mine, I really like this film. This fellow makes me chuckle:

hank-azaria-along-came-polly.jpg

Hank Azara would be cast in my "dream comedy show"

It would also star Peter Serafinowciz and Matt Berry.

precious_film_poster2.jpg

Precious

Seriously fantastic movie. I absolutely loved watching this movie. The story is gritty and inspiring and the acting is just superb. The first movie in a long time to actually make me shed a tear.

10/10

Edited by Animal

Well it seems you can't like the film without someone having to step in and offer an opinion on why it actually isn't all that great. Your expressing your opinion as if it's fact.

You though it was no big deal... I loved it!

My opinion isn't a fact. But it is a fact that the movie isn't anything special in anything other than visuals. It's a collage! And that IS a fact, if you don't accept that, you'd be what they call delusional, or atthe very least, you'de be in denial. I like the movie, there's nothing about it not to like, but you're under the impression it's a masterpiece, when it just isn't. This is like Kubrick's Barry Lyndon... it's visually stunning, and not a bad movie at all, but it just isn't that great either.

It's great that you loved it, but must you really be blind about it? As much as I absolutely love Velvet Goldmine, I'm well aware of it's limitations. You're just pretending Avatar has no such thing as limitations, when that's clearly (and guess what... factually too) not the case.

precious_film_poster2.jpg

Precious

Seriously fantastic movie. I absolutely loved watching this movie. The story is gritty and inspiring and the acting is just superb. The first movie in a long time to actually make me shed a tear.

10/10

Yup, precious was some seriously good shit. A 10 seems a bit much, though! But kudos, anyway.

Princess and the frog

Ya ya I know it's not out here but I'm getting tired of disney's ridiculous time releases so I couln't wait for this to be released.

It's the typical affair really and feels a lot like disney's last few 2d releases rather than the classic 90's one slike lion king.

The music for one I feel is very hit and miss.

However I will see this again in the cinema to judge properly but

7/10

Yup, precious was some seriously good shit. A 10 seems a bit much, though! But kudos, anyway.

It was seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen and I'm not exaggerating. I must have cried about three or four times through the movie. I just felt so sorry for her and Mo'Nique as the evil mother was brilliant acting and the girl who played Precious was fantastic too. They should win awards for this movie.

I'm going to try and get the book to it. Now I'm after the Dexter books and Push, lol.

...cried, four times?

Again... I haven't seen it so I guess I can't judge.

But you're still a massive girl.

lolz

Aha, yeah I did but hey, we all have a sensitive side. They weren't like massive "BOOOOHOOOO! WHYYYY!" but more like a tear fell from my eye, lol. T'was a fantastic movie but I felt so sorry for the poor girl though. First time I actually did feel for the character, probably because I know how she felt. I know someone who's been through that kind of thing before and it reminded me of that situation.

...and YOU'RE a massive girl!

Jokes, haha.

Oh yeah, it was twice I cried and twice I almost did. You thought that was bad? My mate who's normally tough cried almost all the way through! Whenever something bad happened to her, he started crying. His girlfriend just told me, lmao. The movie was very powerful though and it was the first or second movie to make me feel so much emotion to cry. But yeah, there isn't no shame in crying in my opinion, just shows you're human, lol.

Edited by Animal

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

You're crying through long exposure to tension.

She keeps on pushing, and you're never sure how long her dial is going to last.

One of the best horrors/thrillers I've seen, along with Antichrist and Silence Of The Lambs.

The story actually makes some sort of sense too.

Spanish added. (although there was a really annoying woman in front of me who kept on changing the way she sat, so her head kept getting in the way of the subtitles.)

8.3/10

It was seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen and I'm not exaggerating. I must have cried about three or four times through the movie. I just felt so sorry for her and Mo'Nique as the evil mother was brilliant acting and the girl who played Precious was fantastic too. They should win awards for this movie.

I'm sure Mo'Nique will at least pick up a nomination for an Academy Award.