N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Mulan

Okay. Relied a bit too much on song at the start (there was either 2 or 3 in the first 10ish minutes) but all in all okay. Not great, just okay. The fact I can't stand Eddie Murphey probably didn't help. But I suppose it was before he became so insufferable that the only people to be in films with him were...himself.

Spirited Away

Watching Mulan made me realised I probably should have watched this instead...so I did today. Brilliant film :D Keep meaning to ask my folkloristic lecturer where I can get my hands on Japanese folklore as I found it quite interesting when doing my analysis of this film.

Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers

I'm not sure how but I've gone up to now without watching a whole W&G film. Anyway good film :) That damn evil penguin!

Star Trek

Still just as great as when I last saw it. Great cast and characters, good plot, lovely effects.

9/10

Oddly, it's the first Blu-Ray I've watched properly and it seemed less impressive than Raiders of the Lost Ark on Sky's cruddy HD. Then again, in Star Trek there isn't really a lot of detail that wasn't clear anyway.

Where The Wild Things Are

It was beautiful, I didn't enjoy it though. The whole experience disturbed me and for me it was just dull in places. First 5-10 minutes are awesome, I was really getting into it. The child actor is a perfect choice for this and I want one of those costumes. I just didn't feel invested in what was happening and so didn't feel attached to the story in anyway.

The soundtrack was a delight and the wild things were well designed.

It was in know way a bad movie. :) It unfortunately didn't strike a chord with me.

7/10

The Hangover 7.5/10

Pretty funny, watched it with my girlfriend. It seems like one of those films that would be automatically more hilarious if watched in the presence of other guy friends, as if all feeding off each others' laughter. Plus...welll...it's easy to get distracted. ;_;

Fred Claus

Good idea and a great supporting cast, but they weren't utilised and because Vince Vaughan is so unlikeable it was hard to care about the outcome of this film.

Scrooged

It was ok. Not laugh out loud funny as a lot of people seem to regard it and it was cheesey at times, but hey that's the 80's.

Christmas with the Kranks

This is far from being a classic Christmas film, but it's the one I enjoyed the most from the 'new' Christmas films I've watched so far. Based on a story by John Grisham of all people, it's about a family who try and 'skip' Christmas for this one year. Good family fun.

The Snowman

A classic. Makes it feel like Christmas and bring back childhood memories. Great escapism.

Return of the King - Extended Edition

Probably the weakest of the Extended Edition's as apart from the Saruman scene the other's don't add anything to the story. Still an epic film.

Edited by welsh_gamer

I'm not sure how but I've gone up to now without watching a whole W&G film.

I always knew there was something...off about you :heh:

----

Absolutely fantastic film. Very little plot per se but everything else made up for it. As a visual and aural experience it's totally engrossing and thematically it's absolutely perfect. Captures the sinister beauty of Sendak's original and turns it in to a bittersweet love letter to childhood and imagination.

10/10

I always knew there was something...off about you :heh:

----

Absolutely fantastic film. Very little plot per se but everything else made up for it. As a visual and aural experience it's totally engrossing and thematically it's absolutely perfect. Captures the sinister beauty of Sendak's original and turns it in to a bittersweet love letter to childhood and imagination.

10/10

In Ashley's defence I don't think I ever saw a W&G film either as a kid. Not even sure I saw the show until I was older (like getting close to being 20). Then again I'm not sure if they even showed it here heh.

I'm interested in seeing Where The Wild Things Are, but I never read the book so I have no clue what it is about... other than a little boy running around in a cute suit with some weird monsters. =P

Sounds nice. =)

Maybe I can get Jim to go watch it with me, though I know he wants to watch Avatar first. Guess that might mean two trips to the cinema...

I should also get the book at some point. It's strange but I grew up without any proper children's books. I guess my career choice is me trying to make up for the lack of children's books when I was a child. =P

I was going to say, I'm surprised you haven't read it.

wildthings.jpg

art am stun.

I honestly didn't start reading children's books until two years ago or something. =(

Don't remember ever owning any as a child, and my parents were too busy to read me any heh.

But yeah it seems to be going quite cheap in some places so I might order it soon. =)

Legally Blonde

Absolutely love this film. Genuinely funny and heartwarming. Witherspoon is perfect as Elle Woods and I can't stop myself smiling throughout most of it.

Plus:

"Nice costume. Though, when I come dressed as a frigid bitch I tend to do it looking a little less constipated".

Lovely.

St. Trinians 2

As Sandy Ryerson in Glee would put it:

You want to go see St.Trinians 2? KILL YOURSELF

...and that's how Slaggis *makes 'C' shape with hand* sees it (couldn't resist a bit of Glee humour in this thread) :bouncy:

And yeah, I thought the first was alright but this one seriously looks shit.

Even I saw Wallace and Gromit as a kid. Top quality shorts they are.

The Rescuers Down Under

My personal favorite Disney film. Just love it.

Ahhh I love that film! The Rescuers are awesome and this was a great sequel to the original film. =D

*really needs to find it with Dutch subtitles*