N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Damn, forgot American History X. An amazing film.

Really can't agree with you on that. I would go into it, but I've talked about it before, so can't be bothered. :p Still, definitely a good film.

Edited by Slaggis

Have you seen everything from Quentin Tarantino yet? In my eyes pretty much all of his films are 'must see' at least once... having said that though I still haven't seen Deathproof :o indeed I only watched Planet Terror last night which I know isn't his but he has an amusing cameo role lolz.
Ive seen all the Kill Bill movies, and the shoot em up is it called?

I enjoyed those, didnt enjoy death proof. =/

Heard only good things about planet terror, so might dl that.

My own personal recommendations:

Shawshank Redemption:

I always saw it as one of those overrated films that eveyone puts on their list to sound cool. It actually deserves it's following. It is an amazing film.

Stand By Me

Just a really nice film. It's about 4 boys who find out the location of the body of a missing kid and set off to find it. It's all about their journey there, bonding and stuff.

Powder

It's about an albino kid who has some strange link with lightning. Another really nice film.

Unleashed

It's sort of a martial arts movie with a really good story. Jet Li's character, Danny, was brainwashed as a kid to be quiet when he has a leash on, but a mental killer with it off. His gangster master gets badly injusred in a deal and Danny goes free. He meets up with a nice family and learns to live properly. It's a really pleasant film.

Brick

An old fashioned detective story told in a modern high school. It's just amazing.

Any of the Cube films

A sort of survival horror where people wake up inside a cube with loads of cube shaped rooms. I just like it for the bizzareness of it all.

The Motorcycle Diaries

A real nice movie about Che Guevarra and Alberto Granados road trip on an old motorbike. It's another film about bonding on a trip funnily enough.

Pans Labyrinth

A very dark fairy tale. That's all I can describe it as. And amazing of course.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I love this film. It's a funny mystery type film with really likeable characters.

Black Hawk Down

One of my favourite war movies.

Kidulthood

If watching chavs be chavs really annoys you, probably best to give it a miss. But I really liked it. It's about a bunch of chavs being chavs, but 2 of the characters realise it's all a bit shit and try to grow up. At least that's how I remember it, I haven't seen it for a while. Adulthood is good too.

Speed Racer

A stunning film. The story is cheesy and very cliched, but I guess it was supposed to be. The car action is second to none though. Very over the top. The best manga to live action film I've ever seen.

Seen one of the cube films, quite enjoyed it.

Unleashed is one of my all time favorites, ill look at the trailers for some of the others.

American Beauty, Crash, Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain, The Good Girl, Milk to name a few.

American Beauty is fantastic on every level, and most definitely my favourite film ever. The acting, the story and the way it grips you throughout just can't be beaten. The Good Girl, for the fantastic script, and Anistons performance of a woman trapped in a hum-drum life and has to decide whether to take her last first chance (With Gyllenhaal). A genuinely funny and touching movie, love it to bits. With Brokeback and Milk, I hate that people refuse to see them just because of the content of the movie, especially Brokeback. It's a gripping love story, that just happens to be between two men (Even though there's actually more hetrosexual sex in the movie). The ending is...incredibly emotional.

..I'd say the others are obvious ones, so don't really need an explanation. :)

Ive heard a few good things about that, especially since the people i heard it off are extremly homphobic, so it must be good.

Damn, forgot American History X. An amazing film.
Whats that one about?

American History X is about racist skinheads. Guy goes to prison for killing a black guy and realises racism is a bit shit. It's got some very good points in it, including quite an interesting and believable story behind how the group became racist in the first place. A very good film, I can't recommend it enough.

I'm gonna be the asshole here and suggest something that actually has had any standing impact, as opposed to recent classics. Seriously, you guys need to see more films, cinema's been around for a century and you all can't see anything pre-60s. That's 50 years worth of movies you're throwing away!

Anywho, a film everyone alive should see, no exceptions:

Intolerance (1916).

Streetcar_original.jpg

A Street Car Named Desire (1951)

Great Tennessee Williams' play. Incredibly enjoyable film. Vivien Leigh is brilliant as Blanche DuBois.

400px-Secrets_%26_Lies_poster.jpg

Secrets & Lies (1996)

More brilliant acting.

Citizenkane.jpg

Citizen Kane (1941)

Classic. It is as good as everyone says it is. The only film that gets better with repeat viewings.

ThirdManUSPoster.jpg

The Third Man (1949)

If only for the greatest film entrance ever. Orson Welles, take a bow.

Casablanca_original_film_poster.jpg

Casablanca (1942)

Finally got round to seeing this last year. I'd say it was full of clichés but it pretty much originated most of them. :heh:

Stalker_poster.jpg

Stalker (1979)

Epic film in many senses, if you can sit through it.

007GEposter.jpg

Goldeneye (1995)

The greatest Bond film ever. It's got everything from Sean Bean to funk guitar in its soundtrack. :smile:

Pretty big ones there, but they are superb.

Edit: I like pictures.

Edited by Daft

Great Tennessee Williams' play. Incredibly enjoyable film. Vivien Leigh is brilliant as Blanche DuBois.

Secrets & Lies (1996)

More brilliant acting.

Citizen Kane (1941)

Classic. It is as good as everyone says it is. The only film that gets better with repeat viewings.

The Third Man (1949)

If only for the greatest film entrance ever. Orson Welles, take a bow.

Pretty big ones there, but they are superb.

the first post I can actually say I agree with. Good one, Daft! :bouncy:

And about the Third Man... fuck the entrance... that final segment is just... well, you know what it is! :love:

Gah, I really need to see Inland Empire...

Dancer In The Dark

I keep meaning to see that!! "To the rental list!!" *Adam West exit music*

the first post I can actually say I agree with. Good one, Daft! :bouncy:

And about the Third Man... fuck the entrance... that final segment is just... well, you know what it is! :love:

Gah, I really need to see Inland Empire...

Yeah, totally. Everytime I see that entrance though, I seem to always let out a yelp. :heh: Just so cool.

The whole scene in the ferris wheel is just amazing as well.

Also, two other films I just remembered that are sensational.

Three Colours Red (1994) and Three Colours Blue (1993).

Bluevidcov.jpg

Threecolorsred.jpg

I can't actually remember 'White' that well. *To the rental list, again!*

I'm always amazed when people tell me they haven't heard of the Three Colours Trilogy. Maybe they aren't that famous but they are great cinema.

SEE THEM!!! They are amazing.

Edit: One more (probably not),

Tokyo Story (1953)

446px-Tokyo_monogatari_poster.jpg

Just watch it. It is long but powerfully intimate.

My sister hated it but then she took me to see Bend it Like Beckham when I was younger so I'm hardly going to listen to her. :heh:

Edited by Daft
Automerged Doublepost

Scream 3

Love the ending to it, and Posey and Cox's characters have great chemistry on screen with some hilarious moments. The opening however, is kind of disappointing when compared to the first and second ones. I love some of the dialogue at the end, when the killer is finally revealed. The bit with Randy telling them the rules from beyond the grave, is brilliant, and is another example of just how self-aware the movies are.

Sydney: Why don't you take some FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY!

Killer: Fuck you!

Sydney: FUCK YOU!

*dive at one another*

Secrets & Lies (1996)

Citizen Kane (1941)

The Third Man (1949)

Casablanca (1942)

Stalker (1979)

*Makes a note to see these films*

I think I may hint down some of these films on eBay or something, especially the Third Man... you've both 'hyped' it for me now and besides I've been meaning to check out some more films that would otherwise be 'obscure' to me. :smile:

Oldboy is also a very good film. It's only in Korean though, so be prepared for some reading.

A Raisin in the Sun (I think that was the name, it's the one about a black family moving into a white neighborhood and has a very young Lou Goussat Jr. in it)

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (I remembered this one after Oxigen Waste posted)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (original only)

*Makes a note to see these films*

I think I may hint down some of these films on eBay or something, especially the Third Man... you've both 'hyped' it for me now and besides I've been meaning to check out some more films that would otherwise be 'obscure' to me. :smile:

Grab the Three Colours Trilogy also. I promise you wont regret it.

BBIIIIIGGGG list - kinda

Thelma and Louise

this film was really brilliant. susan sarandon and geena davies make a good screen team.

The thing from another world

special effects was hilarious. hasnt really aged well. only bit i couldnt watch was when he attacks the dogs :(

the invasion of the body snatchers

was it mean to laugh when donald sutherlands girl in it crumbled to dust? his reaction was hilarious

Tomb Raider

i :heart: this movie. daniel craig does the most hilarious american accent.

Serial Mom

nice to see kathleen turner as something else than chandlers dad. and the guy from law n order was funny.

I keep meaning to see Dancer in the Dark but everyone I know who has watched it has said it will make you want to kill yourself afterwards, and I've really not got the time to kill myself at present.

Likewise Tokyo Story and the Three Colours Trilogy are on my "should watch at some point" list which perhaps I should do something about ::shrug:

Anyway, something I did watch recently was The Orphanage and I enjoyed it. First del Torro I've seen actually.