Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Persepolis

Not as good as the books, but more emotional, to see it on screen. Beautiful, simple animation and a story that highlights the problems Iran faced/faces, and also how it affects a single life, something we don't see on the news reports.

starfish-icon.jpgstarfish-icon.jpgstarfish-icon.jpgstarfish-icon.jpghalfstar.jpg

Hook sucks hard ass. Anyone disagreeing is bemused by a rose tinted mega fuck viewing dome.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it "rose tinted", given that I've seen it many times throughout the years. When I think rose-tinted, I think watching a film about 10 years ago maybe once or twice, and then still talking about it 30 years later.

What exactly "sucks" about this film? As Gaggle says, it's just a fun film, just like Cool Runnings is a fun film, which I saw on the same day.

It's light hearted, and it's got a pretty strong cast. Robin Williams as Peter, who has grown up and forgotten about his adventures. He grew up, and become the total opposite of what he once was. Maggie Smith as Wendy is great, too. And, then you've got the stunning Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell, Bob Hoskins as Smee (a stroke of casting genius) and Dustin Hoffman (yes) as Hook. He gave a fucking great performance, and he pretty much lights up every scene that he's in.

The film goes out to achieve a goal, and it achieves it well. You're meant to love Pan and the lost boys, and you're meant to laugh as things go wrong for Hook. It's just fun.

When was the last time you watched it? Maybe you watched it once, saw 10 years, and didn't watch it, again.

props.

That shit sucks- sentimental, fuddy twaddle that downright ravages the brilliant source material and, once more, unleashed Robin Williams' career choices on the world.

As if sentimental is meant to be an entirely bad thing.

As for "ravaging" the source material, I completely disagree. There's some good references to the original material throughout the movie, with Tootles having grown up now as well, the references to Tiger Lily and the Crocodile, and Hooks hatred of Clocks. There's many more, man.

Maybe you need to give it another try?

The Spongebob Square Pants Movie! - Always loved this film but haven't watched it for about a year, I always forget how great it is. It's as funny as the series and has catchy songs too (I don't like musical style films generally but the few songs in it are so well fitted and fun!) The ending is so silly and awesome :yay:

Lost in Translation

Extraordinary film. Loved it. Wanted to watch it again straight after it finished.

10/10

Bowfinger

I used to think this was pretty darn good, but it's pretty poor now. Only laugh out loud moment is the scene at the end.

4.5/10

Time Bandits

I don't get why a lot of people love this film. Watched it for the first time when I was 15 and decided I'd give it another chance, but my opinion hasn't changed. It just a stupid boring film.

1/10

I like LiT. Its plot ain't fantastic but it has other merits. Watching it is like taking a slow aimless walk around, just drifting. Not everyone's taste I know but still. I enjoyed it.

Agreed, I think people also fail to see what the film's title is hinting at - the people are surrounded by folk they don't understand, with different cultures etc. so they latch onto each other because they simply get each other - mixes in well with my experiences of when I was living in France and Germany.

Lost in translation is a beautiful piece of work, it wasn't made to have a mind blowing plot, it's all about the characters and their situation. It's just so atmospheric and the music really helps with that too! I feel like watching it now :grin:

i just watched the life aquatic again.

I love this film so much. It's just so so Wes Anderson-esque.

The scene near the end where they find the jaguar shark and then sigur ros - staralfur starts playing. its a beautifull song and a very touching moment.

The sound track is great too, seu jorge is great.

9.5/10

I think Wes Anderson ties with the Coen Brothers as my favourite director. His films are like no-one elses. I don't know how to put in words what it is about them, but i love them. His best film is the royal tenembaums which is an absolute classic, and without a shadow of a doubt in my top 5 films of all time list.

edit - lost in translation is also a film made almost entirely of win. I think it just misses my top 5 though.

I watched Lost in Translation when Film4 aired it after it became free. But I only watched it for Bill Murray who is either bordering on Legend status or has reached said status.

I might as well watch it again, because the only bit of it I remember is: Bill is in the lift, standing a head taller than everyone else in there... :blank:

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day

I knew only two things going into this film; a) Lee Pace (Pushing Dasies, Wonderfalls) is in it and b) I like the name of the film.

Anyway. Suprisingly...fun. In a daft way. The opening half an hour involves Amy Adam's character juggling the three men in her life, in a sitcom like fashion as its all happening in one expensive looking flat.

The 40s London setting was quite good as well, as was the music. Put me in a happy mood at least. Amy Adams suprised me too, she did a wonderful job of playing a character so full of lies and falseness to cover up herself on the edge of breaking.

Umm I dunno. 8.345?

Hellboy 2

Freaking awesome film, way better than the first which i loved, the market scene is amazing all the different sort of creatures.

Who'd thought that guy from bros is an amazing actor and the fact that they go to my home country is another major plus point.

9.5 out of 10

I've just watched Batman Forever........not very impressed!! - I didn't expect it to be really, just fancied chillin out and that came on. Well I don't like to be negative but I found the casting unfitting, I didn't like Kilmer as Batman, he doesn't fill the part, he's not strong enough in my eyes. The worst for me though was O'Donnell as Robin! I understand why they couldn't have used a much younger actor with all the acrobats and stuff but they could have picked someone who didn't look like a thug. The most embarrassing part of the film for me was when Robin drove off in the batmobile and went to rescue the damsel in distress, with cheesy lines and an awful interpretation of a gang I just wanted that scene to end, fast! I know the point was to make Robin look naive and vengeful but I'm sure they could have done it better. Two face was wasted, you only saw 'his beginning' on a tv screen which you could have missed if you'd sneezed and then he just appeared weak throughout. Anyway I don't wanna keep moaning, I don't hate the film, I just really wouldn't watch it again! 5/10 i think :eek: that's not like me!! - I normally don't grumble about films!!

I've just watched Batman Forever........not very impressed!! - I didn't expect it to be really, just fancied chillin out and that came on. Well I don't like to be negative but I found the casting unfitting, I didn't like Kilmer as Batman, he doesn't fill the part, he's not strong enough in my eyes. The worst for me though was O'Donnell as Robin! I understand why they couldn't have used a much younger actor with all the acrobats and stuff but they could have picked someone who didn't look like a thug. The most embarrassing part of the film for me was when Robin drove off in the batmobile and went to rescue the damsel in distress, with cheesy lines and an awful interpretation of a gang I just wanted that scene to end, fast! I know the point was to make Robin look naive and vengeful but I'm sure they could have done it better. Two face was wasted, you only saw 'his beginning' on a tv screen which you could have missed if you'd sneezed and then he just appeared weak throughout. Anyway I don't wanna keep moaning, I don't hate the film, I just really wouldn't watch it again! 5/10 i think :eek: that's not like me!! - I normally don't grumble about films!!

ZOMG When was this on?

I've been desperate to see this for ages! I don't own it, and the DVD appears to have been cancelled/withdrawn or something, until they can capitalise on a rerelease when The Dark Knight is released.

I know it's bad, but I have a Batman fetish.

Two face was wasted, you only saw 'his beginning' on a tv screen which you could have missed if you'd sneezed and then he just appeared weak throughout.

Especially when you compare it to the time spent explaining the origin of the Joker.

Hang on...

Also, what's the different between a thief and theif?

Beverly Hills Cop 3

For some reason Murphy wasn't a fan of this film it was revealed. However I think it's the best of the series. Pisses on the second easily. I am looking forward to the fourth which is apparently coming out in a couple of years.

Eight and half Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabbahalf.jpg

Fantastic 4

Average, a few good moments and some boring ones too. Doom annoys me and without the presence of Chris Evans it would be pointless.

Fantastic 4: The Silver Surfer

A little better than the first, I think. The general annoyed me, so I cheered when he died. Von Doom again bugged me, but I did like the ending. Galactus looked rather impressive when the world was about to be consumed. Again, it would be nothing without Chris Evans.