N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

watchmen-blue-ray-cover-header.jpg

On second viewing I think this is a really fantastic film with some massive flaws. It's a rarity, this one is.

8/10

On the whole Director's Cut thing, STOP IT. James Cameron almost destroyed Aliens with his abysmal director's cut. Truly atrocious. Although Watchman's director's cut wasn't as bad as that, and in fact there was at least one nice addition, just leave it.

The Lovely Bones.

I've not read the book. :)

I loved the movie though. :grin: I thought it was beautiful and ridiculously well made. This is my kind of movie + Peter Jackson. :heart:

I now have 4 of his films in my Top 20. :p

9/10

I read earlier today that he's rumored to be directing Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines quadrilogy. Potentially utterly fantastic.

children.jpg

Completely and utterfly fucking brilliant. Easily the most fleshed out, and stunningly shot dystopia I've ever seen. Also quite probably the best British film I've seen. And the tracking shots blew me.

I thought pretty much exactly first time I saw it. The car escape sequence where

Julianne Moore gets shot

left me breathless.

My advice - don't watch it a second time. My memory of the first time was better than anything.

Man that film was depressing though. The way they made that world was just a little bit too real, like you could imagine it coming to pass and completely screwing up life for everyone. You could imagine living there, or not living there for very long if you look at it that way.

I thought pretty much exactly first time I saw it. The car escape sequence where
Julianne Moore gets shot

left me breathless.

My advice - don't watch it a second time. My memory of the first time was better than anything.

Alas, that was my second watch.. Though it's been years and I barely remembered it which was nice. And yeah that scene (which I had forgotten) was a a serious 'woah - did that just happen?' sort of moment. Stunning.

Had a film/pizza hut night with friends, was lovely, as haven't had a chance to meet up with them this half-term really.

Watched Dorian Gray as no one had seen it.

It was awful. Like bad TV Movie quality. Just so boringly directed. The story is dull as fuck on film, and the attempts at erotic-exotic sex montages seemed forced and silly in the context they came.

The direction should have been atmospheric and edgy to really convey what they tried to convey.

Nothing out of the ordinary in it, nothing I liked. Nothing to make it atrocious, but ugh.

3.8/10

then

Mean Girls

Modern classic! So well written and paced. With this in existence, no other girly teen films need to be made. Until the next "great" one.

District 9

Whata Foooking greyit film!! [/south African accent]

Really enjoyed this!!

I'd only seen the initial trailer beforehand so didn't really know what to expect from the entire film, but it was great!

So many styles of film mixed together, kept reminding me of best elements from a number of great films [especially had a Black Hawk Down vibe] all rolled into one.

Great setting, characters, themes, the way it was filmed, really good acting, great CGI (at the very start I wasn't quite sure about the 'prawns' but they really were intergrated very well), and the way they managed to pull of really emotional performances from the aliens was superb!

Great! 8.75/10

Couple of questions...

1) Where were the aliens harnessing the black liquid 'fuel' from?... I didn't think it was explained.

2) Also, was the news footage of a piece 'falling' off the ship actually the escape craft falling to earth and then covered/built over by 'christopher'?

3) Did we find out what actually brought them to earth?

District 9

Whata Foooking greyit film!! [/south African accent]

Really enjoyed this!!

I'd only seen the initial trailer beforehand so didn't really know what to expect from the entire film, but it was great!

So many styles of film mixed together, kept reminding me of best elements from a number of great films [especially had a Black Hawk Down vibe] all rolled into one.

Great setting, characters, themes, the way it was filmed, really good acting, great CGI (at the very start I wasn't quite sure about the 'prawns' but they really were intergrated very well), and the way they managed to pull of really emotional performances from the aliens was superb!

Great! 8.75/10

Couple of questions...

1) Where were the aliens harnessing the black liquid 'fuel' from?... I didn't think it was explained.

2) Also, was the news footage of a piece 'falling' off the ship actually the escape craft falling to earth and then covered/built over by 'christopher'?

3) Did we find out what actually brought them to earth?

1. Bits of their technology that they could scavenge

2. Thats what I assumed but was never sure

3. Dont think so

The Princess and the Frog

Ah, how I love traditional animation. I thought this looked really nice! Characters weren't all that great in my opinion, but I still enjoyed the film. Even though half of the time I had no clue what they were saying due to the weird accents and stuff, and the subtitles were really crappy. Evil cinema didn't show this film in English so I had to watch it through other means. =(

Anyway I liked it. Not great, but still nice to watch. =)

7/10

Sunshine

Jim had been pestering me to watch this with him for quite some time now. So yesterday we finally got around to it. I thought it was a bit confusing at times with the shots of the spaceship, as I often had no clue what I was being shown. And the ending was a bit confusing/weird as well. But overall, I enjoyed the film and it had a great atmosphere throughout. I'm sure I'll (have to) watch it again in the future, as Jim says it gets better on repeated viewings. =P

8/10

I just remember the alien being yellow in one bit, as though the yellow was meant to be light or something, it just looked awful.

I dunno. I'm not too keen on the design, but I really like the fact it's different because of how it was "born". Maybe me not liking the design influenced my viewing.

This has got me wanting to watch Resurrection again. :D

The whole film has a yellow slash orange hue to it. I kinda like it. Also, Resurrection has a similar vibe going on, but its not as imposing as it is in Alien3. I put it down to the fact that the film took place on a furnace, heh.

I still watch Resurrection and maybe one day I will come to accept it. But, it hasn't happened yet. I just find it a hard film to like, which saddens me.

I like the Cameron ones: it's all explained (if you look in to it, not in film) that they're soldier bugs, whereas the original is a proto queen/ young female. It makes sense that they're different. Same with Alien 3.

If you have the DVD of Alienwith the cut scenes, the captain isn't killed, he's the first host for a new batch of eggs to start a new hive. Helps establish all the caste stuff.

Are you trying to educate me on Alien Lore, Dan? You're about half a decade or more late. ;)

That scene is from the Director's Cut of Alien. Its on the Quadrilogy, and its pretty much the only version of the film I watch now. I know about the reasoning for why the Aliens look different, but if you were to ask me which Alien I thought of when you say that word or say the word Xenomorph, it would be this one:

41GggRdol3L.jpg

Not the best image, but his design is awesome. I just love the way it looks. Very terrifying, imo.

Also, you remind me of one scene in Aliens which I don't quite like anymore:

Where Ripley is looking at the facehugger in the cylinder with Bishop and the others and says "Each one of these comes from an egg, so who's laying these eggs?"

Now, this part was fine for years. But, after watching The Director's Cut of Alien, that scene annoys me because Ripley has seen for herself that the Eggs are not neccessarily "laid." So, it makes that little part a little redundant.

I still like that scene, and I would have prefered if it had stayed in the original version of the film. It would have been interesting to see how Cameron's film would have turned out had that scene been included.

On the whole Director's Cut thing, STOP IT. James Cameron almost destroyed Aliens with his abysmal director's cut. Truly atrocious.

Hmm, why is it such a bad director's cut? The only questionable scene would be:

Where you find out what happened to Newt/Rebecca's parents, where they find the Derelict ship.

Even then, you then hear "the scream" as it fades out to the background wind noise. Even if that scene kills a little of the mystery, its still well filmed, imo.

I only watch the Director's Cut now, as I think its a much better film now with it. It feels a bit more complete. If you want to talk about a bad director's cut, then maybe you need to look at the cut for Alien 3. The footage is fine, but some of the production values, notably the sound are particularly bad. I mean, really bad. A great director's cut possibly ruined.

The Princess and the Frog

Ah, how I love traditional animation. I thought this looked really nice! Characters weren't all that great in my opinion, but I still enjoyed the film. Even though half of the time I had no clue what they were saying due to the weird accents and stuff, and the subtitles were really crappy. Evil cinema didn't show this film in English so I had to watch it through other means. =(

Anyway I liked it. Not great, but still nice to watch. =)

7/10

Sunshine

Jim had been pestering me to watch this with him for quite some time now. So yesterday we finally got around to it. I thought it was a bit confusing at times with the shots of the spaceship, as I often had no clue what I was being shown. And the ending was a bit confusing/weird as well. But overall, I enjoyed the film and it had a great atmosphere throughout. I'm sure I'll (have to) watch it again in the future, as Jim says it gets better on repeated viewings. =P

8/10

Those subtitles were brilliant. I have to say, I did enjoy the film, but some of the character's voices were a bit annoying. I think a 6 or 7 is a fair score for that.

Also, yes, you are right. We will watch Sunshine again. ;)

The Lovely Bones.

the-lovely-bones-poster.jpg

I've not read the book. :)

I loved the movie though. :grin: I thought it was beautiful and ridiculously well made. This is my kind of movie + Peter Jackson. :heart:

I now have 4 of his films in my Top 20. :p

9/10

I NEED TO WATCH THIS! This is in my top 5 to watch. I also need to watch The Hurt Locker, District 9, A Single Man and An Education (this just to see how Carey Mulligan beat Gabourey 'Precious' Sibide to Lead Actress in the BAFTAs, lol)

Oh and did anyone see how many awards The Hurt Locker got?! It was crazy! lol.

Anyways:

fantastic-four-2-rise-of-the-silver-surfer-poster-1.jpg

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Few good moments but other than that, boring.

4/10

also, the scorpion king himself is hilarious. id not like to fight the rock, id not like to fight a scorpion, so why is a half the rock half a scorpion monster so funny?

6/10 better then it should be.

What the weird thing is, is that he's portrayed as a emotionless conqueror, yet we're meant to sympathise with him in his spin-off movie. Parallel univerise and all that bullshit.

Watched Dorian Gray as no one had seen it.

It was awful. Like bad TV Movie quality. Just so boringly directed. The story is dull as fuck on film, and the attempts at erotic-exotic sex montages seemed forced and silly in the context they came.

The direction should have been atmospheric and edgy to really convey what they tried to convey.

Nothing out of the ordinary in it, nothing I liked. Nothing to make it atrocious, but ugh.

3.8/10

How does it compare to the book?

How interesting that Kristen Stewart won the only public-voted one. :P

Oh God, tell me about it.

They should scrap that fucking award... so stupid, especially in comparison with the others.

These awards should be about talent and getting respect from your peers, not by fucking 13 year-olds.

Save that crap for those shitty women's magazines and the MSN news website...

God...

So once again, the awards have made me want to sit and watch every film nominated (apart from Avatar) back to back and forget all my work.

These awards should be about talent and getting respect from your peers, not by fucking 13 year-olds.

That's pretty much how Rage got the Christmas No. 1.

On the whole Director's Cut thing, STOP IT. James Cameron almost destroyed Aliens with his abysmal director's cut. Truly atrocious. Although Watchman's director's cut wasn't as bad as that, and in fact there was at least one nice addition, just leave it.

What was so bad about the difference? [i don't recall what is was that made it "bad"]

So once again, the awards have made me want to sit and watch every film nominated (apart from Avatar) back to back

Same! Although I've seen a fair few, the fact that I haven't seen Hurt Locker is pretty tragic.

OH also, the fact that Kristen stewart was seemingly inept at forming sentences annoyed me too. Harsh, I know.

Edited by Molly

That's pretty much how Rage got the Christmas No. 1.

I don't know if you're trolling or you genuinely see a chart position and an industry award show as the same thing.

Either way you're... special.

OH also, the fact that Kristen stewart was seemingly inept at forming sentences annoyed me too. Harsh, I know.

I wanted Prince Harry to declare war on her country right there and then to be honest.

Or something really heavy to comically snap above her and then crush her to death.

Mean Girls

Modern classic! So well written and paced. With this in existence, no other girly teen films need to be made. Until the next "great" one.

I agree totally, no other girly film has come close to being as good as Mean Girls since it's release, I can seriously just watch it over and over and over....

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Best in Show

Another superb Christopher Guest mockumentary that i decided to watch after enjoying A Mighty Wind so much. Its a hilarious and rather accurate depiction of neurotic dog lovers/dog show competitors with the same excellent cast from Guest's other films 9/10