NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Knowing

It's an entertaining film. The main problem is that the more you think about it, the stupider the film becomes. It could have been pretty good, but...

Well. I was happy enough believing that the psychic girl predicted/felt/whatever the future herself. But it turns out that aliens made her write everything down so that they could get two kids in a specific location. And apparently it happened in multiple places around the world.

If they were that concerned about humanity why didn't they save more people? And why couldn't they simply save themselves a lot of trouble and abduct the kids.

It seemed like it was trying to have a religious and science resolution at the same time, and ended up with some strange mess instead.

Here's a better way to end the film:

Have annoying woman (I actually laughed when she died - that's how annoying she was) drive off with her kid. Have Cage fail to find anything on the door and have him and his son drive home. Then blow up the world.

As it is: 6/10

With my proposed ending: 8.5/10

Transformers 2

Really really really long. Could cut out an hour of ridiculous sand everywhere, helicoptor/plane/star destroyer/aircraft carrier/people running and shooting in slow mo action scenes, there is such a thing as too much action Michael.

I love it when they transform and I loved some of the transformer fights, it is really ''Ah that's fucking awesome!!!'' but the rest of the film...fairly horrific.

Difficult to rate without having ReZ disown me/10

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li

I liked it, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The woman who plays Chun-Li is hot! I love her. And the story wasn't bad.

7/10

Right at the beginning, one of the autobots jumps and puts his blade into the runaway car decepticon and it slices him in half. We were all in pure awe at it! Sweeeeeeeet. Shame it didn't carry on like that.

"IP man". I would say the martial arts movie I have ever seen! Its real awesome! Donnie Yen really did a great job.

Right at the beginning, one of the autobots jumps and puts his blade into the runaway car decepticon and it slices him in half. We were all in pure awe at it! Sweeeeeeeet. Shame it didn't carry on like that.

I think the best one is at the end

When Bumblebee throws down with Decepticons.

He kicks ASS.

On second watch, I stick with my original rating as I can look passed its flaws but ;

- Sams mother is irritating as fuck.

- If they made the twins and Jetfire have non-irritating personalities the film would have been so much better. They could have been total pimps like Bumblebee....at least Jetfire was cool looking I spose.

But yeah still loved it. :yay:

I think the best one is at the end

When Bumblebee throws down with Decepticons.

He kicks ASS.

On second watch, I stick with my original rating as I can look passed its flaws but ;

- Sams mother is irritating as fuck.

- If they made the twins and Jetfire have non-irritating personalities the film would have been so much better. They could have been total pimps like Bumblebee....at least Jetfire was cool looking I spose.

But yeah still loved it. :yay:

ok here is my problems with it...

- action scene at the end is far too long..

-sams mother WAS annoying

-characters kept talking too fast and made it hard to understand although That could have just been the particular crap cinema sound at the time.. happens sometimes.

-jar jar binks style humour with the twin robots and the small thing..why

- the college scenes are so cheesy.. he should be shot for a lot of the music selection..the romance scenes are so cheesy

- too many slow-mo obvious shots on megan fox.

- it was too long.. I'm not trying to be a bitch with that point but agood 45 minutes was spend trying to get to the dead optimus I think.

I mean I actually kinda liked the first film.. it felt like the best modernisation a transformers film could be... But for me the visual wow factor wore off from how great the first looked.

This is very much a 7/10 film at best.. I can't overlook the same mistakes this time..

The Simpsons Movie

Great movie, never get tired of watching it.

8/10

Disney's Tarzan

Wasn't expecting much but it was fantastic, the only thing that annoyed me were Tarzan's comic friends who seemed a bit too 'hip' for this film. The music by Phil Collins worked very well, espeically during the opening, which I rewatched a few times after finishing the film.

8.5/10

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

A 'grown up' Disney Animated Classic as there are rarely any humorous moments and there are some dark and adult themes touched upon, but it's a good un'. Not one I will rewatch in a hurry though, and the voice of Quasimodo doesn't suit him, but I guess if they made him sound like John Hurt as the Elephant Man, there wouldn't be as much singing.

6/10

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Top-notch special effects and lots of cool fight scenes but it was a bit too long and also lacked the charm of the first movie. A bit of comic relief would have done well.

7/10

He's Just Not That Into You

Ginnifer Goodwin = yay. Everything else = kinda bland. Although its the first time I've ever found Scarlett Johansen (sp?) sexy. I know she's hot and what not, but this is the first time I've ever though "phwoar" (for lack of a better word).

But yeah, if GG wasn't in it I wouldn't have watched it. She is lovely though.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Top-notch special effects and lots of cool fight scenes but it was a bit too long and also lacked the charm of the first movie. A bit of comic relief would have done well.

7/10

There was comic relief?! It wasn't good I admit but there were lots of attempts at bits being funny! I chuckled a few times.

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

An impressive show of special effect and action scenes which made this film a decent watch but I doubt that you will get the same experience from watching this on a TV/screen then on a cinema screen.

Apart from the special effects and action scenes everything else was just cringe worthy.

The new Autobot Twins were just terrible and had way too much screentime compared to other robot characters in this film.

The Decepticons were seriously underplayed compared to the first film were they were powerhouses that needed serious firepower to take out.

Not as much in this one.

The less said about the plot, the better and the jokes were terrible.

As acting is concerned it was decent but nothing noteworthy, everyone was either screaming or having a dramatic breakdown.

transformers 2

8/10 wooop, its just an action fest, i loved it. And those funny characters grew on me as the film went on, at the start they reminded me of jar jar binks but they actually ended up being quite goooood, reviewers seem to be hating them but i found em quite funny, YOU AINT EATIN ME and PUSSSSSY, classsic quotes, classic. Im not big into transformers but i love those films wooooo

CGI ftw :D

Edited by Bren

Do you know what? I don't think there was enough action. There was too much focus on the bland human side of things. The fight with Optimus at the beginning was pure awesome on a stick... and then he was killed pretty cheaply. But you knew he was going to come back anyway, so why not just have him injured?

It doesn't make anyy sense to put your best player on the bench after a blinding 10 minutes and then try to bring him back later it's so mawkish.

Was it just me, or did those intelligence-insulting twins have really bad animation? Every time they were on screen I felt very aware that I was watching a computer effect.

Otherwise, I enjoyed a lot of this, but there needed to be more robot fights with the other autobots as they weren't even really in it. And I'm glad they made Prime kick ass in this one, as in the first one he was a bit weaker than Megatron, whereas in all other continuities, they're evenly matched.

6/10

I just watched The Quiet Earth based on a psuedo-recommendation by Dante, and I have to say I found it extremely thought provoking and solemn. Comparatively, I just finished The Omega Man (and I honestly think I Am Legend is the best adaptation of the source material, and genuinely think anyone who says otherwise has either not read the book or not seen all three movies) and found my thirst for spontaneous post-apocalyptical films to be hard to quench.

In this movie, a man wakes up to find that he appears to be the only man left on earth. The first third goes through his very human acts of coping, of mild insanity and extreme eccentricity (and veiled comments at the american government), while the second third assumes a more wishful, eve-orientated film of exploration, mild paranoia, distrust and generally a comment on the much-used line (even in this movie) "not even if you were the last man on earth"...

The last third brings in a sort of adam/eve/other dude triangle, pitting brain versus brawn, showing that with human contact comes human conflict, and ultimately acts of bravery can end up being acts of selfishness.

The final scene is genuinely one of the most awe-inspiring I've ever seen, thoroughly pondersome and mind-sparking; ambiguous and woeful in one go. This 80's new zealand film is very well rounded, and certainly something anyone interested in post-apocalypse cinema should try to watch.

I'm trying to find a cheap copy of the book it was based on but there's no luck. Amazon.com even has a used copy listed at $2,000 which suggests it is out of print, so no luck at finding any truer explanation of the entire movie.

From the opening sunset you ought to be attuned to the tone of the film, and until the end spoil-rise... you'll constantly pit yourself in their shoes, only once (by my count) shout at the screen "foooooooools! I wouldn't do that!" - which isn't bad going for the much-repeated-in-this-post post-apocalyptical film that this is.

Easily a 16/20.

Sister Act 1 & 2

People will always say they remember where they were when something memorable happens. I will [probably] always remember when the discussion of Jackson's death, I was watching Sister Act. Watched the second at about 5 this morning.

A pr0 duet of films. Sporting a nice young Jennifer Love Hewitt as an added bonus.

Nine Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

Taken

Pretty damn good, mainly due to Liam Neeson being awesome. Would love to see him do something like this again. My only complaint is that the epilogue just didn't feel right. The mother and step-father did not seem grateful or bothered about what happened at the end.

9/10

Doomsday aka: In post apocolyptic Scotland everyone grows mohawks and only has one raggedy outfit

It strarted off good, then turned a bit shit. There was a bit in a castle (well it is Scotland, it was that or fried Mars bars) where I literally had no idea what was going on. I had no idea why stuff was exploding, where they got a gun from and why they didn't use it sooner.

The good points: The bit in the castle was different to most post apocolyptic films untill it turned to confusion, there were some awesome retro cars (although I've no idea how they got them, one was an old police car that wouldn't have been just lying around) and some bits were vaguely like Mad Max

The bad points: Everything else.

2.5/10

American Pie 2

I have never laughed so hard in my life...despite seeing it a good few times.

All the characters are pricelessly hilarious, except that Kevin dude, who won't get over his ex....

9/10

Transformers 2

The human bits were boring, lots of boring plot points (his roommate, parents, that annoying suit telling Autobots to go home, destiny rubbish, hiding it from the public).

There were some really cool action scenes dotted throughout, especially the ones with a lower amount of Transformers. I just lost interest in the final battle (which apparently was to save the Sun). Way too many Transformers fighting, and when they're all muddled up, zipping about the screen and fighting it's kind of hard to tell who some of them are and what side they're on.

Also, was it just me or did some Transformers randomly disappear and some reappear? That little one that humped Megan Fox's leg simply vanished (just after it decided to join them), and the Twins started fighting the big thing while enjoying themselves and the next time you see the big thing they've gone (sure, they could've been killed off-camera but they seemed to have more lines than any other Transformer so it's rather odd they just disappeared). On the flip side, some that were destroyed earlier (like some of the construction ones) appeared in the final battle for no apparent reason (unless they're clones...which is quite lazy).

And when they finally get to a good two-vs-one battle at the end it's over in around 20 seconds.

There's some entertaining bits, but there's a lot of pointless/boring stuff. Plus the last battle is just a big mess.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Bumblebe was turd. The radio thing got old not far into the first film. He just seemed like some obsessive guardian pet with no personality, and not a giant sentient machine.

6/10

Edited by Cube

Saw Modern Love Is Automatic last night, it's screening here during the Edinburgh Film Festival after being on the official selection of SXSW or whatever.

modernlove.jpg

Thought it was great. Read a little bit about it after, and I just really liked how it was done. Hopefully it'll get a wider release/DVD release, for people to see it. It has a death metal soundtrack, which was so appropriate, to represent her repressed lusty thoughts of sex and death. The main woman, Melodie Sisk was sexy.

Pretty funny too. Recommended if it comes to a town near you.

eastern promises or see aarogorn's cock

great movie, but it was made all the better by my mate saying "this is set in the future right? that woman said "december 20th 2314"" the 24 hour clock dosen't come easy to some.

Taken

Pretty damn good, mainly due to Liam Neeson being awesome. Would love to see him do something like this again. My only complaint is that the epilogue just didn't feel right. The mother and step-father did not seem grateful or bothered about what happened at the end.

9/10

Just saw this today. I loved it. You're right about the end.

Awesome film. I mentally cheered every time Liam Nesson killed someone. :heh: