Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Forum Upgrade Incoming

I think what I'll do over the next few days (read: probably this weekend) is go through the various new features, both obvious and stuff we could add, and then make a topic about that and get people's opinions.

For example the badges, happy to keep those but if people find them generally annoying can switch off and/or change the ones we have.

Seems we can also manually add some. I think anyway can by using the menu icon. You can also give points but no idea what they do so I gave Shorty ten.

Actually @Glen-i I'll have a look and see if I can find some better way of helping you manage the online sessions you do. There's various new things like clubs/groups and an alert system and all sorts. Will dig into it and then send you what I find out and see if we can find a slightly more modern way of arranging those sessions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Drahkon clearly done what I done and signed out to turn on the option to remain hidden, went to sign back in but asked for an email address and not a username, and forgot what email address he used. I had to think about it as well. After all that the stay hidden feature wasn't there anyway. :D

If he is logged out I can send him what email address is associated with his account.

Although it happened to me when I went to sign into the admin area. Kept trying my personal one but turns out it was my site one.

Just now, Ashley said:

If he is logged out I can send him what email address is associated with his account.

Although it happened to me when I went to sign into the admin area. Kept trying my personal one but turns out it was my site one.

I'm just assuming this has happened, given that a user called drahkonforgothisemail is now online. :D

• Haha 6

One thing to flag up to people I have just spotted.

The emojis are now provided for us (although some seem missing, I'll look into that) but if you change the category to 'Classics' (or scroll right to the bottom) you can see the ones we've had since like 2002. :santa:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bob said:

Any idea how we progress through the ranks? Brown-nosing the admin?

Screenshot_20240702-185448.png

I'll dig into it properly but it seems that we can set up rules that define achievements and those achievements can give points and ranks are basically point levels.

Some of the out of the box ones don't award points (such as first x posts) but we can change that. Some of the out of box ones do (such as adding reactions). 

Having a look @Hero-of-Time is the only one to have progressed to Rookie.

When recommending a post you can also give points of your choosing. I think most people are limited to 50 a day but admin can give over that so brownnosing wouldn't hurt.

Having a look you got 1 point for giving thanks. 5 points for this post (not sure why this post) and I gave you 10 points so you have 16. You need 40 for the next rank.

Edit 

Seems you get 5 points for any reply and HOT has just been busy posting and reacting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Seems you get 5 points for any reply and HOT has just been busy posting and reacting.

Well, now that the forum has a built-in achievement / trophy system, I can't say I'm too surprised that @Hero-of-Time is busy unlocking everything. ;)

Do I get something for replying, quoting, mentioning and using a classic emoji in the same post?

Edit- what about editing a post?

Excellent to see the forums upgraded and working well, thanks @Shorty :peace: and thanks @Ashley for answering everyones questions.

I have one... I noticed that you can change the e-mail address that your account is associated with, this all works fine I presume?

Just that I was considering changing it to my main e-mail address that I use for most accounts, but if it's best that I leave it for a day or two, then I will, but it looks like everything is working well.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Do I get something for replying, quoting, mentioning and using a classic emoji in the same post?

Edit- what about editing a post?

I have one... I noticed that you can change the e-mail address that your account is associated with, this all works fine I presume?

Just that I was considering changing it to my main e-mail address that I use for most accounts, but if it's best that I leave it for a day or two, then I will, but it looks like everything is working well.

You get something for replying but nothing extra for quoting or mentioning. Or emojis.

I am not 100% sure about the email address thing but I can DM you my personal one so you can get in touch if you do have problems if you want?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You get something for replying but nothing extra for quoting or mentioning. Or emojis.

I am not 100% sure about the email address thing but I can DM you my personal one so you can get in touch if you do have problems if you want?

Good to know. :smile:

Also, that would be appreciated, thanks. Just in case, as I probably won't try to change it for a day or two (or at all if there are any known issues) but it just looked like a potentially useful feature, especially if we have any members who signed up with an old e-mail address which they maybe don't use, but managed to sign in with it, and wanted to use an alternative e-mail address.

7 hours ago, Eddage said:

Hate to be a downer but I’m finding the forums to be just as slow as it has been the last few days 🫤

Not as bad as it has been sometimes recently, but I think still slower than it was before the issues started.

Might just be me though 🤷‍♂️

Yeah we were aware it may not necessarily fix the issue in itself, in part because we never could quite diagnose what exactly the issue was. 

The upgrade and server move yesterday was the first part though. We'll be doing stuff behind the scenes to try and fix things in the coming days, some of which we weren't able to do before. Hopefully some of that will help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I have noticed that it certainly hasn't solved things. One thing I have been considering is that if I bulk purchase 2 years of hosting, I get quite a significant saving, so I could put this towards extra memory. As the site goes down and up again, that's mostly me messing around with caching settings etc trying to speed things up, so I'll see if I can determine the cause the bottleneck and go from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To be honest I think that was just it going down regularly while I was trying to adjust configs and set up logs/monitoring, which I've given up on for now. I think it might still go down from time to time, but hopefully less frequently. Anyway I have to get back to my real job now :p

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Eddage said:

Hate to be a downer but I’m finding the forums to be just as slow as it has been the last few days 🫤

Not as bad as it has been sometimes recently, but I think still slower than it was before the issues started.

Might just be me though 🤷‍♂️

No one cares about that any more. We've got badges now.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Speaking of, if you click the menu icon (on mobile) or your name in the top right (on desktop) you should see your current rank and how many points until the next. Can someone check that is true for non-admins?

Can confirm :peace:

GRlYmg0aUAEqI7k?format=jpg&name=large

Also, can someone confirm how spoiler tags work now? I've had a look on my phone (in desktop mode too) and tried to click it like before, highlight the text after, etc., but can't seem to get it to work? 

Think some titles on previously posted spoiler tags have been lost to the aether too, from what I can figure. 

• Like 1