N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (26th September 2024)

Julius

Another day, another Echoes of Wisdom trailer:

Step into the role of Princess Zelda and set out on a journey to save the kingdom of Hyrule. Create echoes-imitations of useful objects and fallen foes-take on the swordfighter form, and step into rifts to explore dungeons in the Still World. Zelda's wisdom and your creativity are the keys to unlocking this adventure!

Genuinely had to check if this was a re-release :laughing:

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Full game has leaked online. Be wary of spoilers flying around on YouTube.

A Nintendo published game leaking two weeks before release?
Huh... Didn't realise Legends Z-A got a release date, that snuck up on me.

...What do you mean, it's not Pokémon this time!?

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

A Nintendo published game leaking two weeks before release?
Huh... Didn't realise Legends Z-A got a release date, that snuck up on me.

...What do you mean, it's not Pokémon this time!?

The Princess Peach game also leaked online before release. Nintendo's ninjas are get sloppy in their old age.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm… That interview is giving me mixed feelings…

On one hand, this sounds promising for the future of the series…

Actually, I've always wanted to establish a 2D top-down Legend of Zelda series that's separate from the 3D entries like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The game style and how it feels are completely different when the world is viewed in 3D from behind the character to when the world is viewed from a top-down perspective. We wanted to cherish that kind of diversity in the Legend of Zelda series

… on the other hand, this one fills me full of dread…

we started to feel that fans may not continue playing this franchise unless they can think independently and try various things freely on their own, rather than following a set path

… and this one makes me question Aonuma’s confidence and skill as a game designer…

When you're actually playing, it can be more fun not having the restrictions in the first place. And so we asked ourselves, "What do we want to do about this one?", "Shall we remove it?", and then gradually began removing those restrictions. Over time, most of the restrictions we thought were necessary at the start of development were no longer needed. It even led us to allow things that we worried at first would provide too much freedom. It's strange, isn't it? It's almost as if introducing some freedom attracted even more freedom

… it suggests a rather blinkered view that doesn’t quite seem to understand how those game design restrictions actually make games fun to begin with.  Take Chess for example.  In his world, the game would be more “fun” if every piece could just move like a Queen, but is that really the case when it removes the foundational strategic gameplay element and the stakes involved with escalation of power with each piece on the board? I don’t think so.  Freedom is not the be-all-end-all of game design that he seems to think it is; in fact, it is often its enemy.

Also rather interestingly, it seems that Greezo were the primary developer on this game; with Aonuma and EPD staff only offering guidance and oversight; not unlike the Flagship developed Zeldas of yesteryear (OOS/OOA, Four Swords, Minish Cap).  First time that an external studio has lead development on a Zelda game since Minish Cap was released near enough 20 years ago! Hopefully that has helped to insulate the game somewhat from this poisonous mindset that Aonuma is suggesting.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

I don't know how you managed to do it @Dcubed, but you skipped over the highlight of the interview for me which I imagine is going to be doing the rounds as a big headline over the next few days: Tomomi Sano (who directed on the Nintendo side) is the first female director in the Legend of Zelda series

By the way, Sano-san is the first female director of the Legend of Zelda series. What other titles have you worked on in the past?

Sano: Prior to this project, my main role was to support the director. As for the remakes that Grezzo worked on, I was involved in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. I was also involved in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, as well as some of the titles in the Mario & Luigi series released prior to Mario & Luigi™: Brothership, which will be released in November this year.

That seems like a huge win! Not a bad roster of games she's worked on, either, I'd say :p

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Julius said:

I don't know how you managed to do it @Dcubed, but you skipped over the highlight of the interview for me which I imagine is going to be doing the rounds as a big headline over the next few days: Tomomi Sano (who directed on the Nintendo side) is the first female director in the Legend of Zelda series

That seems like a huge win! Not a bad roster of games she's worked on, either, I'd say :p

Nice, but far from the most important parts of the interview I reckon.  It makes for good headlines, but she’s far from the first female director on a Nintendo project as they’ve had many over the years.

I think a more interesting take is that Hidemaro Fujibayashi seems to have had no involvement with this game.  He basically took over Aonuma’s role as the series’ main director some 15+ years ago, and (with the exception of A Link Between Worlds), he has had a directorial role on every mainline Zelda game since Phantom Hourglass.

It does feel like this game has been developed as a form of counterprogramming to what 3D Zelda has become; despite Aonuma’s comments about freedom.  At least him and the rest of Nintendo do seem to understand the need for diversity within the series’ gameplay now; as well as the need for diversity at the directorial level too :)

Edited by Dcubed

I finally decided to pre-order this last night thanks to a 20% off code which is still currently active on eBay, making it around £38 which is... a lot cheaper than on the Nintendo Store, so long as you aren't too concerned about pre-order bonuses.

I believe this is the third new Switch game I've purchased this year, the other two being Another Code: Recollection and Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition, both of which I've still yet to play.

I'm hoping that a new Zelda game might get me back into gaming, beyond the usual multiplayer games I play each week, as I haven't really played much in terms of single-player games for a while now.

This game looks to be enjoyable, fun, and clearly making the most of the engine and art style from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake, though this looks like it'll run a bit better overall, plus with the gameplay being more experimental in nature, it looks like it brings a bit of the more modern Zelda titles, into a game featuring more hand-crafted areas, hopefully combining the two styles well enough that many people will enjoy this new take on a well-worn but established action adventure template, that the series is known for.

Only a few more days. :peace:

• Like 4

Reviews are dropping left and right:

Early doors of course, but the game is currently at an 87 on Metacritic and an 86 on OpenCritic, for those that care :p

GYUhW9dW4AAUT5u?format=jpg&name=medium

GYUhW-QXYAAUB2x?format=jpg&name=medium

General consensus seems to be that it's very good! Might watch a review or two later myself as I probably won't get to this until later on in the year with all the other wonderful games dropping :peace:

Edited by Julius

Launch trailer: 

Kind of hilarious that every trailer for this game was a big ol' chunky thing, and the launch trailer is just...52 seconds long? :laughing:

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

These guys are to blame: :heh:

RSlKYHy.jpeg

Hey now, I'll have you know that Mario and Luigi have been having a tough time since the plumbing business went under and that dressing up like this for birthday parties was purely a last resort

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nipped out from work and picked a copy up from Argos. Was very happy to see it was only £39.99.

Looking forward to reading your impressions about it.
Got my mate's Switch including the game and gonna start the journey today.

Don't know much about it aside from the fact that I will 100% hate the menu for the items you can spawn, whatever the fuck they're called. Unless, of course, Nintendo changed it...but I doubt it :p

Edit: Christ, the games has horrible frame rate jumps...

Edited by drahkon

From watching @Glen-i playing this game for a bit? Yeah, game looks fantastic.  Looks like... an honest to goodness Zelda game!

Unfortunately it runs like crap, constantly dropping to 30FPS, it's actually a lot worse than Links Awakening Switch...

Sadly this'll have to be another game I wait until Switch 2 before I can really fully enjoy it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Yeah, that quick menu is... Not so quick after just a few Echoes. I'm two hours in and already have like 14 Echoes. They really should have put creatures in a separate button. 

Eh. I've pretty much just used Peahats to fight, they're stupid good!

It's not so bad, I've only really needed around 5 echoes so far. That's kinda my issue with the system, sure, you get all these different things to copy, but if they don't cover a two tile radius like the bed does, then I'll just use the bed.

24 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Alright, I'm stuck in the first dungeon. There's a room with statues, one with a shield, and a locked door. Am I missing an Echo to do something here?

You don't need an echo.

EDIT: Ugh, @drahkon, don't remind me. So many times I've opened a chest and instead of something useful, like Rupees, or Pieces of Heart, I get some crummy drink ingredient.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1