NEurope
Glen-i

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

@Hero-of-Time I see you picked the right starter :) 

Yeah, it's great. The cat is also pretty cool. The fire one is the one that didn't have a chance of being picked.

With me not really watching any videos for this, I didn't realise you can send your Pokemon out to battle other Pokemon and make them faint in order to get exp. Kinda like Earthbound when you can just run into enemies who are weaker than you. I've been doing proper battles like a chump. 

I'm really curious to see if they're going to iron out the worst performance issues, or just go oh well and work on the inevitable DLC.
From what I've read on Reddit (i.e. likely complete rubbish), a lot of the issues are down to how the game loads the open world. It loads the ENTIRE world at the start, and keeps the whole thing in memory, rather than chopping it up into (le)chunks like all other open world games.

Seems like something that would be very difficult to fix with an update.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I didn't realise you can send your Pokemon out to battle other Pokemon and make them faint in order to get exp

I tried it, but my level 9 mon kept getting wrecked by a level 3 mon. Whatup?

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

I tried it, but my level 9 mon kept getting wrecked by a level 3 mon. Whatup?

Not sure. My little duck has been wrecking enemies left and right.

25 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Did I just catch a shiny?

Indeed. Very nice. You gonna put it on your team?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not sure. My little duck has been wrecking enemies left and right.

No idea what happened there then as every subsequent battle has been victorious :D 
Ducky has evolved now and I've moved on towards the school.

Enjoying my time with it, but holy smokes the performance...it's unbelievably bad.

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You gonna put it on your team?

No...Lechonk sucks :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Enjoying my time with it, but holy smokes the performance...it's unbelievably bad.

This is how I feel at the moment. I'm enjoying exploring the world and finding new Pokemon to catch but the game's performance is a mess. I'm shocked it has been released in this state and I'm quite surprised reviews weren't actually more scathing. 

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm quite surprised reviews weren't actually more scathing. 

I'm not. Par for the course for Pokémon and Nintendo games ::shrug: 

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm enjoying exploring the world and finding new Pokemon to catch

Yup, it's quite refreshing. But I can already see that there's no challenge whatsoever :D This ain't no Nexomon.
I haven't had to switch out my ducky once. Then again, it's already evolved once and at level 17.

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'm not. Par for the course for Pokémon and Nintendo games ::shrug: 

Oh please :indeed:

Nintendo games review well because they're some of the best in the industry.

When they're not, they don't review well, like Starfox Zero or Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. 

• Like 1

I'm really not keen on how little direction you're given. Feel like I'm wasting a lot of time doing nothing.

And holy hell, that performance gets proper atrocious at times. Thanks, open world, for making things worse.

Spoiler

Thing has a freaking fire sombrero! I love it. Very promising start!

Other then the Pokémon and battles themselves (Digging the texture revamp they have), the rest of the game is just SO BORING to traverse. Thank god for the paths, because I'd easily get lost in these big fields.

Co-op doesn't give you the option to actually battle the AI together (The one cool thing about Let's Go), so a bit disappointed there. But everything moves relatively smoothly. It says a lot that the most fun I've had so far was faffing about with the trainer card and getting a picture. Managed to settle on one where it looks like I've been slapped while my cousin recoils in shock.

Edited by Glen-i

The windmill animating at about 4 frames per second in the trailer probably should have been a warning about the game's technical shortcomings. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The windmill animating at about 4 frames per second in the trailer probably should have been a warning about the game's technical shortcomings. 

That actually was a case of the American trailer being weirdly different to the Japanese one. It animated a lot better in that one.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

And holy hell, that performance gets proper atrocious at times. Thanks, open world, for making things worse.

Plenty of open world games running much better :p 

This is just a badly made game on a technical level.

Just now, drahkon said:

Plenty of open world games running much better :p 

This is just a badly made game on a technical level.

Sword/Shield ran fine outside of online Wild Areas. It's definitely the open world having an impact.

Just now, Glen-i said:

Sword/Shield ran fine outside of online Wild Areas. It's definitely the open world having an impact.

Ok, let me rephrase: This open world is badly done. 

Now we could argue that this is the open world's fault. But I think a competent dev could've made this work just fine. Even just a little better than this atrocity.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Fuecoco's first evolution (Hide contents)

Thing has a freaking fire sombrero! I love it. Very promising start!

This is what I was referring to here

On 07/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, Ashley said:

Anyway, will be interesting to see how much of the leaks will be in the new trailer. Seeing some pop up including...

Nothing huge and nothing specific but just in case (Hide contents)

A Pokémon that feels kind of racist...

Yeah, this game is fucking raw.  It clearly needed more time in the oven.

Something really needs to give.  TPC have to reneg on their annual schedule and give Game Freak more time to work on each new game; because this is just not acceptable.  And this isn't the first time this has happened now... BDSP (granted, different developer; but still) was a complete trashfire on launch day; a game that came out without a fucking title screen in place! And now the ridiculous schedule is impacting on the mainline series proper in a truly obvious way.

I don't care if the anime has to be pushed back a year or two as a result, the quality just isn't there; and they can't afford to have this dragging down the mainline series (which is the core product that the entire brand is built around).  TPC NEED to give up on the annual schedule.

• Thanks 1

I bought Violet and it arrived this morning. I booked the day off work to get a few hours in whilst the kids were at nursery. 

i’m enjoying the open world element of the game. I’ve wanted Pokemon to be open world for years - probably in my head since the gameboy days.

Only about 3 hrs in and enjoying the wide variety of pokemon at the beginning - some decent ones too!

i’m never one to complain about performance issues (I really don’t see the difference between frame rates etc) but this is so awful. Absolutely dreadful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The amount of money this franchise makes, it continues to blow my mind how the games are still a generation or two behind from a technical pov. Japan was always lagging behind the West (Nintendo and maybe 1 or 2 others, apart), but this goes far beyond that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, this game is fucking raw.  It clearly needed more time in the oven.

Something really needs to give.  TPC have to reneg on their annual schedule and give Game Freak more time to work on each new game; because this is just not acceptable.  And this isn't the first time this has happened now... BDSP (granted, different developer; but still) was a complete trashfire on launch day; a game that came out without a fucking title screen in place! And now the ridiculous schedule is impacting on the mainline series proper in a truly obvious way.

I don't care if the anime has to be pushed back a year or two as a result, the quality just isn't there; and they can't afford to have this dragging down the mainline series (which is the core product that the entire brand is built around).  TPC NEED to give up on the annual schedule.

This is pretty much spot on. The whole mass media cycle needs to stop in order to give the developers time to breathe. The franchise is big enough now without the need to have the anime, merch and games all releasing within a specific time frame to each other.

55 minutes ago, Blade said:

i’m never one to complain about performance issues (I really don’t see the difference between frame rates etc) but this is so awful. Absolutely dreadful.

I'm the same. They tend not to bother me but they are very noticeable here. Also, nice to see you on here again. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

No idea what happened there then as every subsequent battle has been victorious :D 

Typing is important and something else but I skipped the tutorial dialogue without reading it fully.

You know performance is bad when the game slows down as you first get control of your character. In a house.

• Haha 1