N-Europe

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Dcubed

1 hour ago, Jimbob said:

Didn't i read somewhere that Nintendo has enough in the bank, that they could take 10 years worth of losses.  I'd have imagined by now the Switch is either breaking even, or at a loss.  And software is making them bank by comparison.

It's confusing me a little as to why everything is going up, whereas this time in the PS4 gen, we were looking at cheaper consoles with the Slim.  This time, the Slim is the same cost as the standard PS5.  And i'm thinking the PS5 Pro will be £100 more than that.

I suppose it's like everything. I mean, the energy crisis has been over for a while and yet most things continue to go up in price. It's ridiculous.

43 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Still my fav Final Fantasy and I doubt it will ever be topped.

What is XVI but twice as great as VIII? :p

Still need to get around to playing VIII, it's the only mainline PS1 Final Fantasy I have left to play, which has been the case for...4 years? Damn, time really flies.

I've only seen and heard bits and pieces about it over the years (some tracks, the opening cutscene, the existence of Triple Triad, the weird level-scaling, something about Ifrit?) so it's mostly unspoiled for me, haven't heard nearly enough to piece anything together. Hopefully I'll get around to it sooner rather than later, and before anything gets spoiled! 

Oh, and this is the first mainline FF which is younger than I am.

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.

Sorry, I just had to :p

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Julius said:

simpsons-homer.gif

Nah. Nothing for me to discuss.

I already sold my mom to finance the 1500€ machine that no one else will buy because it's unnecessary but there are still people who will buy it (enthusiasts) but there are no games but Sony will announce games soon but there is no showcase but there will be one but AAHHHHH

• Haha 1

Just now, Happenstance said:

I think being able to do away with the need to choose your graphics mode is a smart way to frame this

Yep, very much so, very smart play.

¾ of players going for Performance over Graphics modes surprised me, too. 

Oh showing a number of games running on the PS5 Pro in a reel to cap it off is SMART

Everyone who would be interested is going to go to Digital Foundry who will have the breakdown on it all

Edited by Julius

That's the issue with all our consoles getting more powerful and PC-like. It costs money to build these machines and I can't necessarily dispute its worth that price, especially given what I pay for my gaming PC but I still wouldn't be able to bring myself to pay that much on a console.

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Grabbed a screenshot of all the prices

GXH8H-HXcAAHv_L?format=jpg&name=large

Something very funny to me about selling a £700 console and still selling the Vertical Stand separately :laughing:

We knew about it before from the leaks, but worth considering too that this is coming without a disc drive, which has an RRP of £99.99. 

£800 for this thing with a disc drive, and another £25 at RRP for the vertical stand. £825. Didn't the base PS5 come with 825 GB internal storage? Is that the magical number they were aiming for? 

And speaking of – did they mention storage? 

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

That's the issue with all our consoles getting more powerful and PC-like. It costs money to build these machines and I can't necessarily dispute its worth that price, especially given what I pay for my gaming PC but I still wouldn't be able to bring myself to pay that much on a console.

And if it keeps going like that they can keep 'em.

This push for more powerful hardware is just ridiculous. Developers aren't even getting the best out of what they already have. Not to mention studios are getting shut left and right because it's become so expensive to create a game now due to these high end machines. 

Again, I guess I'm just getting too old for this hobby...I just don't get it anymore.

The difference in fidelity and fluidity was definitely noticeable, even watching the presentation on my phone, but £700 without a disc drive is a hard sell considering most of the target audience for this will likely be physical collectors. 

Would be very surprised if this gets anywhere near the ratio that PS4 Pro had versus the base PS4.