Julius

Astral Chain -- August 30th 2019

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I know I'm not going to 100 % it - that red matter cleanup is just too stupid! But finding the cats and the toilets (haven't found any, actually!) is kind of fun. I really want to know what the reward for finding all the cats is. :)

I can’t remember if there is even a reward for getting 100% of the red matter - I think you just need 80% in each level, don't you? That’s perfectly doable.

I’m having better luck finding the cats on my second run through, but some of the toilets are still eluding me.. I’m also not expecting to get many (if any) levels completed to an S+ standard. Each level takes so long to do, restarting from the beginning any time a single mission gets you an S or below doesn’t sound fun to me. There are also the rare chimera in each stage too, which, though I’ve been able to find quite a few, I’ve not been able to defeat any before they disappear. Shame, as the S+ and rare chimera rewards are some of the better ones!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mike said:

I can’t remember if there is even a reward for getting 100% of the red matter - I think you just need 80% in each level, don't you? That’s perfectly doable.

I’m having better luck finding the cats on my second run through, but some of the toilets are still eluding me.. I’m also not expecting to get many (if any) levels completed to an S+ standard. Each level takes so long to do, restarting from the beginning any time a single mission gets you an S or below doesn’t sound fun to me. There are also the rare chimera in each stage too, which, though I’ve been able to find quite a few, I’ve not been able to defeat any before they disappear. Shame, as the S+ and rare chimera rewards are some of the better ones!

Rare chimeras - are they the golden slimes? All bar one has escaped me, can't trap them at all...

I have not even attempted to get S-ranks. I haven't really replayed any levels, just gone straight through them to progress the game. I think that took me about 20 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astral Chain get! :D

I won't start playing it until later though, otherwise I know I won't get anything done.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Rare chimeras - are they the golden slimes? All bar one has escaped me, can't trap them at all...

I have not even attempted to get S-ranks. I haven't really replayed any levels, just gone straight through them to progress the game. I think that took me about 20 hours.

Yeah, the slimes. Not had any luck with them! Interesting how it took you 20 hours abs me 29. Guess I must’ve just been taking my time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

content-4-35955-astralchainthankyoubanner.jpg

Happy Astral Chain launch day! :D

Check out the special message which the Director of the game Takahisa Taura has shared on the Platinum Games blog.

I thought it was really heartfelt personally and I wish every success for the game. :peace:

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed the delivery today (was at home but in the shower :blank:). But I have plans anyway, and with Fire Emblem, Mario Maker and perhaps even Fuze (also out today, and the only exception I'm going to buy from the E-shop in the next 2 months probably) to play, and several other games, and with Dark Crystal out on netflix.. I think I can hold out until tomorrow. I need longer days man, seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

content-4-35956-astralchainv101patchnotesbanner.jpg

Patch notes, getttt your patch notes, right here, Version 1.0.1 :peace:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank god there is more training later on after the initial set. I struggled with the last couple of battles and felt out of my depth in the last one particularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very much enjoying this so far. :) Have spent most of my time just exploring the HQ, taking pictures and doing the various training programs, there's so much stuff to see and do! The gameplay hasn't quite clicked 100% yet, especially when it comes to direct movement of the Legion (losing the ability to move the camera during that isn't so great :hmm:) but yeah, I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it.

Looks like revisiting missions/backtracking will be required to rescue some of the cats though, came across one earlier but couldn't get to it. The meows were heartbreaking! :( "I'll be back for you kitty!" :laughing:

Anyway, this game is looking like it could be a right winner. Great presentation, Platinum's trademark slick action gameplay and seemingly loads of content! :cool:

Also, Lappy is amazing. :D

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My real order ( :p ) arrived yesterday to go alongside my duplicate. :D 

Image

I wasn't expecting to get a pin badge with it as well. With me doing a Gears of War marathon before Gears 5 arrives, i've no idea when i'll get around to playing this. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RedShell said:

Looks like revisiting missions/backtracking will be required to rescue some of the cats though, came across one earlier but couldn't get to it. The meows were heartbreaking! :( "I'll be back for you kitty!" :laughing:

@Hero-of-Time when he encounters cats in the game:

c82CEkI.gif

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My real order ( :p ) arrived yesterday to go alongside my duplicate. :D 

Image

I wasn't expecting to get a pin badge with it as well. With me doing a Gears of War marathon before Gears 5 arrives, i've no idea when i'll get around to playing this. :( 

It'll take until at least dinner time for you to get through that lot so I'm looking forward to hearing your Astral Chain impressions before I sit down to watch Match of the Day tonight :hehe:

  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. First thing I do is see if I can kill them. :p 

@Hero-of-Time is Greg the Grim Reaper from Conker's Bady Fur Day, confirmed! :D

hqdefault.jpg&f=1

Anyway, I got to play an hour of Astral Chain last night and while I didn't get far enough to encounter any cats, I did get the sense that this is going to be a very special game indeed. :peace:

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

@Hero-of-Time is Greg the Grim Reaper from Conker's Bady Fur Day, confirmed! :D

hqdefault.jpg&f=1

Anyway, I got to play an hour of Astral Chain last night and while I didn't get far enough to encounter any cats, I did get the sense that this is going to be a very special game indeed. :peace:

I always think of Gregg when I kick off about cats. It's such a hilarious scene. The dude speaks the truth! Maybe playing Conker all those years ago is where my hatred for cats started. :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. First thing I do is see if I can kill them. :p 

It's like the opposite of that "Can I pet the dog?" Twitter account.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Can I kill the cat?"
Yes, you can kill the cat in Conker's Bad Fur day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've played the first two chapters. Very much enjoyed it, but I can just tell I won't be able to play it for long periods of time at risk of getting a headache from all the concentration.

I do have a couple of complaints though.

The camera is really unwieldy. I can't get a handle on it and I find myself accidently moving the camera up or down when I just want to spin it around. Maybe it needs more of a dead spot on it.

My other issue is that I'm finding it really hard to tell when an enemy is about to attack. In Bayonetta, I found it really noticeable when an enemy is about to throw a punch along with the distinct sound they made.

Here though, I can't see a visual cue for enemies due to a quite subtle effect on attacks and the sheer amount of lighting only serves to hide it further.

Everything else is great though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is a surprise. Astral Chain did indeed manage to grab the number 1 spot in the UK chart. Control must have bombed if it only managed to reach number 4, despite having a few days extra on the shelf. 

Quote

After a seasonal quiet period for new releases, the All Formats Chart finds itself with 4 new titles at the top. ‘Astral Chain’ debuts at No1 ahead of ‘Wreckfest’ at No2, ‘The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan’ at No3 and ‘Control’ at No4. Only around 1,500 sales separate No1 from No4.  Elsewhere ‘Marvel’s Spider-Man’ swings back in to the Top 10 at No8 thanks to a price drop, while ‘Collection of Mana’ arrives at No22 making it 5 new Top 40 games this week.

Despite the gap of only 1500 copies between 1st and 4th place, it's still impressive. It's a very niche game on a single platform and it was up against a big multiformat release and a budget multiformat release. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if the Switch doesn't reach 100 million (it probably will anyway) I suspect itll be considered a bigger success than the Wii, thanks to software sales. Crazy numbers across the board.

Apart from Starlink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, this is a surprise. Astral Chain did indeed manage to grab the number 1 spot in the UK chart. Control must have bombed if it only managed to reach number 4, despite having a few days extra on the shelf. 

Despite the gap of only 1500 copies between 1st and 4th place, it's still impressive. It's a very niche game on a single platform and it was up against a big multiformat release and a budget multiformat release. 

Bloody well deserved too. I'm about 15 hours in (about to start File 07) and the game has just been getting better and better! :cool: It's not without issues (camera control, some flaky "platforming" via the chain jump mechanic and chapters being a bit on the long side) but everything else in the game is absolutely spot-on... off the chain in fact. Sorry.  :heh: 

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

My other issue is that I'm finding it really hard to tell when an enemy is about to attack. In Bayonetta, I found it really noticeable when an enemy is about to throw a punch along with the distinct sound they made.

Here though, I can't see a visual cue for enemies due to a quite subtle effect on attacks and the sheer amount of lighting only serves to hide it further.

I was struggling with that at first too, but having spent some time in the sparring practice section of the training room, the correct timing is pretty much second nature now. New types of Chimera are added to it as you progress too, so it's worth checking out after each chapter.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RedShell said:

(camera control, some flaky "platforming" via the chain jump mechanic and chapters being a bit on the long side)

Thank you! I mentioned this in my review and I have not seen anyone else address these issues so thought I was alone on this regard. I really don't like the Astral Plane sections because they are dull and frustrating due to this. I found the camera a bit messy but nothing gamebreaking at all. 

I find the timing of dodging a bit dodgy but I succeed about 70 % of the time. I stopped spending time training between missions after the first few chapters so it's my own fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news, though it did sell less than Bayonetta 2’s launch weekend in the UK (I’m sure it passed it if you include digital though).

 

Still, that’s really good for a new IP on a single platform.  About time that PG got a UK chart topper under their belt!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No real spoilers here but I just reached the part where you enter the Astral Plane for the first time and I found the chain jumping mechanic to be a little bit tricky as well.

Again, nothing game-breaking but during that first section where you get to use it, I did miss one of the jumps, so I was glad to see that it wasn't an instant fail when that happens.

Also, I found my first cat just before that part and I couldn't rescue it :( I guess I'll have to come back for that one with a different Legion.

I'm really liking the game though, taking my time with it, I want to play more but I've just got a lot to do at the moment so I'm only managing an hour or two in the evening.

I will keep at it though because I want to see this game through to the end. :peace:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I predicted, Astral Chain has gone in at No.1. It’s the sixth Nintendo Switch game to reach the top this year! GAME in Telford had sold out of it by Saturday afternoon, so perhaps there are stock shortages.

Zelda should be next, Luigi’s Mansion 3 might also make it and Pokémon Sword (the two versions will be counted separated for chart purposes) must have a chance as well. And Mario & Sonic, depending on exactly when it’s out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now