NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

Just now, ArtMediocre said:

Gris means Pig in Norwegian. I can never take that game seriously. Looks beautiful though.

And apparently in Swedish as well, someone made a similar comment on that Youtube video. You learn something everyday. But yeah, I don't have that problem. :indeed:

Gris reminds me of gristle, which isn't a particularly beautiful thought.

Funnily, gris just makes me think about wine then that probably says more about me than anything.

Anyway, don't know if anyone picked it up but I've been playing Flipping Death (on the PS4 but this is the indie thread so thought it would be ok to talk briefly about it here) and I must say that I'm not really enjoying it. I haven't played Stick it to the Man, or whatever it was called, but this one just isn't grabbing me. It seems as though Zoink are very good at an art style but they can't quite deliver on the gameplay front as Fe ended up being a similar experience for me, nice visuals but lacking in any strong gameplay hooks.

The puzzles are very straight forward and the main hook the game is resting on really doesn't bring about any really interesting ideas, or at least it hasn't so far and I'd say I'm over half way through. I'd have loved some puzzles that really mixed the living and dead world switching properly beyond luring an object into a specific area from nearby and having a ghostly hand pick it up and chuck it into the living world. The optional challenges are far more interesting but they're at times so obtuse that I've ended up leaving them, though that may also be because it as a game feels a bit flat.

And being flat extends to the humour, which they were hoping would be a big selling point but outside of the opening of the game, there's been no genuinely funny moments and it all feels very forced.

I'm disappointed by it. That's not to say other's might enjoy it but it's ultimately not been for me so far. I gave it a to at least and I'll end up finishing it but it's not something I'd be quick to recommend, kind of like Fe as well.

On the topic of Mulaka, as it's on sale, I didn't find it to be a particularly great game. It gets across the cultural and history side of things well enough but everything else in there is a bit poor, controls and gameplay especially. May be worth it on sale but I certainly didn't enjoy it at full price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/08/2018 at 12:06 PM, Ganepark32 said:

Anyway, don't know if anyone picked it up but I've been playing Flipping Death (on the PS4 but this is the indie thread so thought it would be ok to talk briefly about it here) and I must say that I'm not really enjoying it.

I'm waiting for the physical release. Will post here of course when I had some significant time with it.

The official trailer for the game who you stupid Scandinavians associate with pigs:

It looks absolutely stunning. Another instant pre-order for the art alone.

And something else, a visual novel apparently:

Man, that trailer for Gris is absolutely gorgeous. Perfect kind of game to delve into in December and around Christmas when you just want something to chill with in and around family time. Do wonder if they'll expand the platforms it'll release on but regardless, put me down for it as it looks great and right up my street.

Another day, another Indie title...

content-4-35586-thebugbutcher.jpg

The Bug Butcher

Pest control with machine guns, in space!

Could be another hit on the Switch possibly?

Click the above image for the details and a trailer.

:peace:

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 11:18 PM, ArtMediocre said:

Gris means Pig in Norwegian. I can never take that game seriously. Looks beautiful though.

Sega means wank in Italian but that never stopped them.

• Haha 3

"To be this good takes ages.  To be this good takes Sega."

"Sega does what Nintendon't."

New connotations to those!

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

5 minutes ago, Grazza said:

"Do me a favour - plug me into a Sega!"

That's so freaky! I was just thinking about that slogan yesterday. I was plugging something in at home and it randomly popped into my head. I haven't heard or thought about it for YEARS and now you go and come out with it not long after I was thinking about it. Crazy.

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's so freaky! I was just thinking about that slogan yesterday. I was plugging something in at home and it randomly popped into my head. I haven't heard or thought about it for YEARS and now you go and come out with it not long after I was thinking about it. Crazy.

I used to be absolutely desperate for one so I could play Shinobi, Double Dragon etc.  They had that advert with the TV set being really depressed and wanting to have a Master System plugged into him!

Edited by Grazza
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 8:48 PM, Sméagol said:

Wow, that does indeed looking stunning. They've got one more sale here, but hopefully the gameplay holds up.

Songbird Symphony, coming to the Switch in 2019. 

Love the art style. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 2

I'm sort of expecting a Direct Mini at this point. I'm really feeling it. Shadow drop at 2 PM then...

4 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm sort of expecting a Direct Mini at this point. I'm really feeling it. Shadow drop at 2 PM then...

There must be something, surely. They usually announce Nindie directs ahead of time though but I suppose the last direct mini was shadow dropped so hopefully there's one this afternoon. 

Well, more companies are joing the tease:

Moonlighter developer:

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

There must be something, surely. They usually announce Nindie directs ahead of time though but I suppose the last direct mini was shadow dropped so hopefully there's one this afternoon. 

Yeah I suspect it'll be a mini Direct with a bunch of release dates for previously known games and we'll get our usual Nindies Showcase next month. I think those have always been 6 months apart. 

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah I suspect it'll be a mini Direct with a bunch of release dates for previously known games and we'll get our usual Nindies Showcase next month. I think those have always been 6 months apart. 

I reckon it'll be pretty substantial actually, with quite a few new announcements.  Gamescom (i.e, the second biggest gaming event of the year) starts tomorrow, where tons of developers would be making new announcements, releasing new playable demos on the showfloor and new trailers etc.  They've timed this perfectly!

BTW, we're also due a release of the first SEGA AGES games right about now as well... (They originally announced them for "late August" and that's around now, so I'd expect them to be here too)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Just realised we haven't had any update on Hyper Light Drifter since that was announced so hopefully we get a date for that. It's pretty likely considering other Game Maker Studio titles have been released or are just about to be (Minit and Undertale both use the engine)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Just realised we haven't had any update on Hyper Light Drifter since that was announced so hopefully we get a date for that. It's pretty likely considering other Game Maker Studio titles have been released or are just about to be (Minit and Undertale both use the engine)

I was hoping that Game Maker title Swords of Ditto could now be ported to Switch... but it apparently isn't much good :sad: shame cause it's one of the prettiest looking games I've ever seen. The devs I spoke to at EGX said pretty much every person who came up to them asked if they could port it to Switch.