NEurope
Shorty

House buying is the worst

We've already gone into full Sims™ mode, locking people in a room and watching them piss themselves to death. Then Barrymore'd someone in the pool.

Fixed for you.

You monster.

Currently in the process of moving all of my useless shit from one house to the other. Getting my bed in tomorrow, not looking forward to hoofing a double bed down the street >_<

Will be moving in tomorrow for sure though, just in time to hook my Switch up to that huge TV :D

My wife and I have been waiting for the perfect house to pop up within our budget for weeks now and we believe we may have found it.. but there seem to be so many hurdles to overcome that I fear we're going to end up missing out on it.

We have to go through co-ownership, which our finacial advisor claims won't be an issue, but it all depends now on whether we can obtain the mortgage. I obtained a credit score and have plenty of information to supply for any applications but my wife is self employed and doesn't have much, if any, information to supply.. which could be a stumbling block :hmm:

My frustration with that is that it'll basically be me paying off the mortgage by myself so does it really matter about my wife's lack of credit history? ::shrug:

I think if you are married you are legally binded to get the mortgage together, I could be wrong though, your financial advisor would be your best bet for an answer on that.

edit: just spoke to my mum, apparently my dad bought the house in just his name, so it seems possible. This was 20 years ago when they were handing out mortgages to anyone and everyone though lol

Edited by Raining_again

I'm so glad we bought our house when we did.

We had a max budget of around £160,000 and we ended up getting our 3 bedroom house for £135,000. Out of curiosity, I had a look at house prices in the area today. 2 bedroom houses are all over £155,000 and the only 3 bedroom house for sale is £180,000. Admittedly, we fixed ours up a bit, but the one for sale at the moment isn't even that special from what I can tell (still has the nasty fireplace/electric fire).

I was skeptical about house buying. I thought it would be easy. We wanted the first house we saw, and had an offer accepted straight away. The house was empty with no chain, and we have the deposit and mortgage arranged.

And still it's taking months, because solicitors are just so slow, and people are just pushing forms about which we've already filled in about 10 times. And they've got my wife's name wrong twice.

Ridiculous. I thought we'd be in it by now!

I was skeptical about house buying. I thought it would be easy. We wanted the first house we saw, and had an offer accepted straight away. The house was empty with no chain, and we have the deposit and mortgage arranged.

And still it's taking months, because solicitors are just so slow, and people are just pushing forms about which we've already filled in about 10 times. And they've got my wife's name wrong twice.

Ridiculous. I thought we'd be in it by now!

The delightful irony of it is that you're still probably having a relatively easy ride given the chain-free circumstances! Just pressure your conveyancers/solictors to keep chasing things up against their ends. Hopefully you'll be out of the hard parts soon and it'll all pale into insignificance until you do it again!

I don't even want to think what mine would have been like if I was in a chain. 6 months delay and it was empty and i wasn't selling anything myself!!!

I think if you are married you are legally binded to get the mortgage together, I could be wrong though, your financial advisor would be your best bet for an answer on that.

edit: just spoke to my mum, apparently my dad bought the house in just his name, so it seems possible. This was 20 years ago when they were handing out mortgages to anyone and everyone though lol

Our financial advisor finally got back to us this morning that, in principal, we should just about be able to lend the money we require but he didn't go as far as to say that it was certain :hmm:

With that, we made an offer (and, perhaps unwhittingly ::shrug:) an increased offer after the initiial rejection which actually looks set to be accepted pending the seller's latest bid being accepted on their desired house!

We're in a position where we can't risk going much higher so we hope this will happen as things stand but we won't know until tomorrow. It's been such a rush today and there are so many things needing ironed out as quickly as possible, including irritating things that don't seem important until now such as my old address being on my payslips :sad:

It's terrifying.. all of it! Have we even seen the house enough yet..? Who even knows..

Our financial advisor finally got back to us this morning that, in principal, we should just about be able to lend the money we require but he didn't go as far as to say that it was certain :hmm:

With that, we made an offer (and, perhaps unwhittingly ::shrug:) an increased offer after the initiial rejection which actually looks set to be accepted pending the seller's latest bid being accepted on their desired house!

We're in a position where we can't risk going much higher so we hope this will happen as things stand but we won't know until tomorrow. It's been such a rush today and there are so many things needing ironed out as quickly as possible, including irritating things that don't seem important until now such as my old address being on my payslips :sad:

It's terrifying.. all of it! Have we even seen the house enough yet..? Who even knows..

It is pretty terrifying spending so much money on something you've only seen once or twice...

It is pretty terrifying spending so much money on something you've only seen once or twice...

I know :eek:

If our offer is accepted in the end, I suspect we'll be making a few more visits to the house before anything is finalised in order to be 100% certain we're buying the right place!

I'm so glad we bought our house when we did.

We had a max budget of around £160,000 and we ended up getting our 3 bedroom house for £135,000. Out of curiosity, I had a look at house prices in the area today. 2 bedroom houses are all over £155,000 and the only 3 bedroom house for sale is £180,000. Admittedly, we fixed ours up a bit, but the one for sale at the moment isn't even that special from what I can tell (still has the nasty fireplace/electric fire).

They're building some one bed flats here in Luton right by the train station, an advert came out the other day they want £250,000 for them. Quarter of a million for a pissing one bed flat? Crazy market.

Cambridge at the moment is insanity, where I am most houses are now sat at 250k, there's barely any 1-2 bed properties.

Bah! :(

They're building some one bed flats here in Luton right by the train station, an advert came out the other day they want £250,000 for them. Quarter of a million for a pissing one bed flat? Crazy market.

It's what, 30 minutes on the train to London? Not big surprise when you think of it like that

It's what, 30 minutes on the train to London? Not big surprise when you think of it like that

For commuters it's not surprising at all. But for local residence or young people trying to get on the ladder it's madness.

Do local people not consider the fact they're in the commuter zone (even if it won't be something they'd do)?

Tis madness though.

Have a meeting at the bank later in the week to discuss a mortgage. Pretty excited about it, mainly because I live in the North West and a 10% deposit on a decent 2 bed house is anywhere between 6 and 9 grand. I'm currently paying £650 a month in rent, but would be paying less than half that if I can get a decent deal. Gonna get some concrete offers then start looking. I'm tempted to get a fixer upper as ~£40,000 can get you a decent sized house here which needs a bit of TLC.

Looking for an apartment.

One bedroom, room for a bathtub and a balcony.

Stuff opens up all the time, but i dont seem to be high enough on the waitinglist.

Estate Agents are arse. Especially ones called Hannah.

However, we've signed the contract now. Just waiting on a final gas and electricity check and then we wait for the exchange to get a date!

I know I was really lucky selling mine and buying another with everyone in a chain. Whole thing took about 3 months but I was on the phone to everyone pretty much every day and I contacted my buyer and seller directly too.

Estate Agents are arse. Especially ones called Hannah.

However, we've signed the contract now. Just waiting on a final gas and electricity check and then we wait for the exchange to get a date!

I'm not an estate agent at least :heh:

Very exciting stuff for you!

Had an offer accepted on a flat last Friday :yay: Getting on that ladder!! Touch wood!

The system for buying a place up here in Edinburgh is bonkers. There's an 'offers over' price, and then people bid blind above it by the closing date. Soliciters advise going 10-20% over the offers over price, though obviously that means you run the risk of paying actual tens of thousands of quid more than the you need to (ie, above the second highest bidder). We placed 13th out of 13 bids on the last place we went for, then first out of 6 on the one we got on Friday.

All just massively stressful isn't it. I feel like I've aged about 5 years in the last five days.....

Anyway I was quite excited but having read through the past couple pages here I'll temper my expectations on our projected move in date!!

• Like 1

Had an offer accepted on a flat last Friday :yay: Getting on that ladder!! Touch wood!

The system for buying a place up here in Edinburgh is bonkers. There's an 'offers over' price, and then people bid blind above it by the closing date. Soliciters advise going 10-20% over the offers over price, though obviously that means you run the risk of paying actual tens of thousands of quid more than the you need to (ie, above the second highest bidder). We placed 13th out of 13 bids on the last place we went for, then first out of 6 on the one we got on Friday.

All just massively stressful isn't it. I feel like I've aged about 5 years in the last five days.....

Anyway I was quite excited but having read through the past couple pages here I'll temper my expectations on our projected move in date!!

Congratulations!

That sounds crazy...

Yeah but its Scotland so houses are like £10, right?

Congrats!

• Like 1

Yeah but its Scotland so houses are like £10, right?

Congrats!

Yeah, but you can offer less if you bribe them with Irn Bru.