Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Could Pokémon work on a home console?

Retro_Link

Meeting with a girl again tomorrow. Definitely only friends but need to meet people again . Question to everyone how long did it take you to get over your first ? / did you ever find better ?

How on earth did this end up on the Pokemon thread ?!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meeting with a girl again tomorrow. Definitely only friends but need to meet people again . Question to everyone how long did it take you to get over your first ? / did you ever find better ?

Well, I got over Charmander very quickly...he just wasn't the right one for me.

And then I met Squirtle. Definitely a better partner.

My last relationship ended up quite Ghastly. Thankfully, I Weedled through the not so great ones and ended up here. I took a Chance-y.

I don't really want to Raichu a big post, so I'll keep this short. Let go of your Fear,oh and take it Slow, bro.

Don't jump in with both feet. You don't want to Jynx it.

Could Pokémon work on a home console? If that is the question (which it is, as it is written there in the thread title), then the only answer is 'YES'. It can clearly WORK on a home a console.

Literally everything in the game would work perfectly on a home console - in fact the world and the Pokemon could be realised to a far greater degree than on a handheld. To say otherwise and claim Pokemon couldn't work on a home console is untrue.

I think what @Serebii is getting at is that by moving from a handheld to a home console 'something' would be lost. The whole idea of Pokemon is that the titular creatures are 'Pocket Monsters', they travel around with you in your pocket so you can battle your friends and take on their monsters when you meet them. The whole idea of Pocket Monsters literally extends the game into the real world. As Ash you walk around the game world battling with other trainers when you bump into them. As a gamer you walk around the real world and can battle other gamers when you bump into them. It is a novel and highly popular concept that has sold millions of games.

However this concept was born in a time when there was no online, no wifi and smart devices didn't exist. There was no option but to carry your Gameboy on your side and connect to a friend with a link cable! We have moved on from there now, we live in a connected world where we don't have to huddle around one TV to play multiplayer games and we don't need to sit next our friends and use a link cable to connect our devices to play together.

So the argument shouldn't really be 'Could Pokemon work on a home console?', as clearly it could. The argument is more based on whether taking away the mobile aspect of the game would in some way take away the soul of the game and remove a certain charm that despite being a design choice from another era is something certain gamers know and love and see as integral to the 'experience' of a Pokemon game.

For me personally, I'd happily see a Pokemon game on the Wii U in a massive seem less world akin to the world Xenoblade Chronicles X where you saw the animals playing, fighting, hunting and living in their natural habitat and where online arenas, tournaments and competitions were the connected portion of the game. But for other people, this would clearly remove the aspect they know and love of taking their handheld with them to events and trading and battling Pokemon in the way they know and love and have done since the 1990s.

Reverse their original thinking, the main game on the home console, and you can send your pokebnak and team to your handheld/mobile to trade and battle!!

But with the NX being all about hybrid style gaming. The next Pokemon will be on home console and handled.

Yep, that's exactly the style I think it should go for.

I made this last time it came up using a Ni No Kuni screenshot

256zimo.jpg

Ni No Kuni already was the best Pokemon game of the past 10 years

It had dungeons with bosses at the end (Gyms are dungeons)

It had random battles although the enemies were visible on the field and spawned in at regular intervals - pokemon's only difference is they cannot be seen until battle

It had training and capturing of monsters

it even had an anime style that pokemon has had in the anime and games since X Y

The only difference was the storyline, strip that out and you'd call it a pokemon clone

Regardless of if its considered a main game or spin off, a pokemon console game done in that exact style would work, it could have gyms but a focus heavily on story with a defined goal, sense of adventure and peril.

IF the Nx allows crossbuy/hybrid use of games over home and handheld then i'd expect the next 'mainline' game to follow that style as it is, NiNoKuni was after all a DS game, so on a simplistic level it sets a precedent for downgraded graphics compared to a home console version.

How on earth did this end up on the Pokemon thread ?!

A wild Girl appears

Stuwii used yawn

the girl got sleepy and goes to bed 'wink'

Sutwii used knock off

The girls clothes are knocked off her

Stuwii used harden

the girl is immobilised by love

Stuwii used pound

its super effective!

Stuwii used pound - there is no PP left to use that move

Stuwii used struggle

no effect

the wild girl fled

Stuwii lost $200

Edited by Agent Gibbs
punctuation

So, would we say that the NX NEEDS a Pokémon adventure game?

TBH what I got from X/Y was the evolution in the series I have been longing for (obviously everything outside of the storyline). The visuals I was satisfied with and the expanded online features was a dream. So now its happened, I haven't really been longing for a console version - but I only really buy handhelds for Pokémon - so having it on a home console would be convenient.

I like the idea of, for example, X and Y being on the handheld and Z/Yellow on the home console, with newly added technical features etc and just think that formula will definitely boost the home console sales, diversify the fanbase and make everyone happy.

So, would we say that the NX NEEDS a Pokémon adventure game?

If it's Game Freak alone doing it, nope.

They can't even get ORAS to run well on a 3DS. I wouldn't trust them to make a decent performing game on a home console.

I like the idea of, for example, X and Y being on the handheld and Z/Yellow on the home console, with newly added technical features etc and just think that formula will definitely boost the home console sales, diversify the fanbase and make everyone happy.

I'm not sure I would be happy. Half the reason I play the Pokemon games as much as I do is because of the portability. So yes, people who play Pokemon out and about do exist.

I always end up getting those third versions and if it turned out this one was home console only, there's a high chance I wouldn't play it nearly as much as I normally do.

Pokemon is the kind of game I just like to whip out while on Public Transport and play for a bit. I'd lose that with a home console version. And if that has all the neat third version features. I'd feel a bit short-changed.

Edited by Glen-i

I've never played pokemon, but I don't see how any game could only work on a portable device and not on a console. Surely, if the NX is what we think it is them it will work as both anyway.

From a commercial perspective, I would imagine a fully fledged pokemon console game would be a system seller judging by the numbers the handheld games do.

I've never played pokemon, but I don't see how any game could only work on a portable device and not on a console..

Its just classic laziness, saying something won't 'work' without even trying. Even the half-hearted attempts of Colosseum and XD sold pretty well for what they were. Even the offensively lack-luster Battle Revolution on Wii did well.

An ambitious Pokémon game will push systems no matter what.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!