Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

What's your favourite movie of all time?

Shorty

Hmmm. 28 Days Later. I can truly watch it over and over.

Honorable mentions to;

Trainspotting

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Inglorious Basterds

Kill Bill

Children of Men

Smokin Aces

No Country for Old Men

The 5th Element

Spirited Away

My Neighbor Totoro

Princess Mononoke

Akira

Sideways

Super Troopers

The Rescuers Down Under

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Brick

Poolboy 2 Drowning out the Fury. Made in a B movie style but it's absolutely hilarious.

Perks of being a Wallflower. It sure was a movie. I'll never watch it again, fucked me up enough already watching once.

Ha, I thought I'd make it like a fun gameshow format. How many did you get?

I'd also add Pratty's shout of The Matrix to my list. Still holds up brilliantly.

Just two, Donnie Darko and Tree of Life. I cheated for the rest at looked at the URL for most and it seems that I haven't seen any of the others so that makes it extra hard to guess! :)

I can't just name one, so here's a few of my favourites.

Remember the Titans

A brilliant film set in the 1970s and tells the story of the race issues of the time Denzel Washington and Will Patton play excellent parts in their roles, with a bunch of other familiar faces filling in the roles of the american football team.

Disney made a few other films like this, such as Miracle and The Rookie ( both great films, as well ) but Titans is the best of the bunch and an inspiring and amazing feel good movie.

Jerry Maguire

I didn't discover this film until it had been out for a long time. My brother kept harping on about how I should watch it and I eventually I broke and gave it a viewing.

Fantastic performances from both Tome Cruise and Cuba Gooding Jr. It's no surprise that Cuba won an oscar for this film. Rod Tidwell is one of the best and funniest supporting roles I have seen in a film.

I love this scene. :D

Cruise is outstanding, as well. I love watching the journey Jerry goes through and the choices he has to make.

Speaking of Tom Cruise...

The Last Samurai

Firstly, it was criminal that Ken Watanabe didn't get an oscar for this role. Now that's out of the way, on to the film.

I love a good epic tale and this is exactly what's on offer here. Cruise plays a bit of a run down, drunken bum at the start of the movie but once he starts living with the samurai his transformation begins.

I love a good movie quote and the film has a few scattered throughout. One of my favourites is this one.

Hans Zimmer unleashes another amazing soundtrack with this movie.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This leads me on to my next movie.

Gladiator

I'm not the biggest fan of Ridley Scotts work but this one hit all the right notes. Epic battles, cracking story, amazing soundtrack and brilliant acting all round.

There's so many quotes from this film that have stayed with me over the years but this one scene is possibly my favourite.

Hans Zimmer is once again on point, with the music. Now We Are Free is an amazing.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Lion King

Like @Animal, I LOVE Disney movies. I just love how they are good clean fun that adults and kids can enjoy. The Lion King felt a little different though. I think it has a darker tone than most of the other big Disney films.

This scene gives me goosebumps EVERY time I watch it.

The slow walk, the music ( Hans Zimmer does it again :) ) the remnants of Scar's reign being washed away, the clouds parting and then the roar. Freaking amazing!

I have a bunch of feel good, popcorn movies that I always like to watch. These consist mostly of Micheal Bay stuff.

The Rock

Bad Boys 2

Armageddon

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Con Air

Some of my favourites:

• Serenity
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • Back to the Future Trilogy
  • Finding Nemo
  • Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
  • The Lion King
  • Star Wars Original Trilogy
  • Pan's Labarynth

I'm much more a fan of fun and actiony films.

ss_s.jpg

Solaris

I find it utterly stunning; it both looks and sounds beautiful. It reminds me just how rare it really is to know somebody.

oblivion-2.gif

Oblivion

Thought it was an okay movie at first. A few more watches and started to love it; the last 35-minutes is such a fantastic sequence.

tumblr_nzggzseLLj1sg415oo1_500.gif

Tron Legacy

Same director as Oblivion. This is a deceptively well-crafted film. It's downright fucking elegant. My only issue with it is Garrett Hedlund, who doesn't have anywhere near the acting chops needed to pull enough emotion out of the script. And againt, the last 30-minutes is wonderfully put together.

w7rcME5.gif

The Prestige

Nolan's best film along with The Dark Knight. I love a good tragic film and this is a film where everybody loses a part of themselves.

tumblr_mtrw6sGC8M1r2lidko1_500.gif

A Place Beyond the Pines

This film didn't do much for me at first. I completely forgot about it but weirdly the urge to watch it crept up on me again real slowly. It's mesmerising to me now. It felt a little Steinbeckian.

tumblr_o1oixhhNKQ1qj7u8ao1_500.gif

It Follows

This film has buckets of tension. The soundtrack by Disasterpiece is superb. The grading is on point. It does become a little silly towards the end but just because it isn't perfect doesn't take much away from it in my eyes.

tumblr_inline_nvr7tgYCd21te3myg_540.gif

Sicario

Just everything I ever needed from a film. Roger Deakins deserved an Oscar hor the cinematography. Jóhann Jóhannsson's score crushed it; amazingly tense. Emily Blunt and Benicio del Toro are brilliant. Urrrgh, this is the film you go into a cinema hoping to see. Brilliant.

Hmmm. 28 Days Later. I can truly watch it over and over.

Oh mah gawwwwwwd, I LOVE 28 Days Later. Completely fucking brilliant film which has done so much for the genre.

The Walking Dead and 28 Days Later have got a complete strangehold on that type of zombie/virus/infection theme. Nothing else matches up. The only thing that would complete close is that Night/Dawn(possibly Day) of the Dead films by Romero. But, I love the characters in 28 Days Later and it's refreshing to actually see this type of film set in the UK. It made the film much more enjoyable to me because I could relate more to these places, as I had been there.

The Last Samurai

Firstly, it was criminal that Ken Watanabe didn't get an oscar for this role. Now that's out of the way, on to the film.

I love a good epic tale and this is exactly what's on offer here. Cruise plays a bit of a run down, drunken bum at the start of the movie but once he starts living with the samurai his transformation begins.

I love a good movie quote and the film has a few scattered throughout. One of my favourites is this one.

Hans Zimmer unleashes another amazing soundtrack with this movie.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This leads me on to my next movie.

Gladiator

I'm not the biggest fan of Ridley Scotts work but this one hit all the right notes. Epic battles, cracking story, amazing soundtrack and brilliant acting all round.

There's so many quotes from this film that have stayed with me over the years but this one scene is possibly my favourite.

Hans Zimmer is once again on point, with the music. Now We Are Free is an amazing.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Last Samurai is amazing. I remember going into it not expecting much but being blown away by it all. It's a really nice film. I particularly enjoy the ending, especially the last 20 minutes and that final shot.

I've never known a person not to love Gladiator. It's pretty much on everyone's lists. Rightfully so.

Lion King

Like @Animal, I LOVE Disney movies. I just love how they are good clean fun that adults and kids can enjoy. The Lion King felt a little different though. I think it has a darker tone than most of the other big Disney films.

This scene gives me goosebumps EVERY time I watch it.

The slow walk, the music ( Hans Zimmer does it again :) ) the remnants of Scar's reign being washed away, the clouds parting and then the roar. Freaking amazing!

YAAAAAAAAYYYY!

The whole of The Lion King is beautifully crafted. The bit where Simba runs after Mufasa in the clouds now has me crying everytime and there's just some beautiful animation. It's just so wonderfully touching. Beauty and the Beast is another touching piece as well. I absolutely adore the ballroom scene and could watch it a thousand times. Just seeing the transformation in the emotions and the personalities of Belle and the Beast and seeing them go from nervous to natural is amazing.

Also, the darkest Disney film is definitely The Hunchback of Notre Dame hands-down. From Frollo's lusting for Esmeralda to the mockery of Quasimodo as well as the scenes with the Court of Miracles trying to silence Quasi and Phoebus through death.

A lot of people wasn't keen on 90s Disney but I love it. What about you?

Can we have a Disney thread? I could talk about it all day! :p

• 2 weeks later...

This thread was really helpful today. I thought I'd have a browse down the list to take in some recommendations and we ended up deciding on...Children of Men.

Fucking hell, the film is amazing. I'm VERY bluddy ashamed that I've never seen this before up until now. It's bleak, it's beautifully filmed (well, the world looks shit, but the way it's filmed) and the story was just excellent.

Will be looking more at the lists compiled here to choose the next film. I want to watch Lost in Translation again and hope that @Eenuh likes it, as she saw it before we got together and didn't like it.

This thread was really helpful today. I thought I'd have a browse down the list to take in some recommendations and we ended up deciding on...Children of Men.

Fucking hell, the film is amazing. I'm VERY bluddy ashamed that I've never seen this before up until now. It's bleak, it's beautifully filmed (well, the world looks shit, but the way it's filmed) and the story was just excellent.

Will be looking more at the lists compiled here to choose the next film. I want to watch Lost in Translation again and hope that @Eenuh likes it, as she saw it before we got together and didn't like it.

That film is so damn beautiful. God damn. I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks after I first watched it.

Oh and THAT OPENING SHOT DOE.

I'd like to comment on more of the titles mentioned by now, but I'll limit myself to Children of Men for now, and The prestige. Both are definitely up there. Though Children of Men, really, should be seen in a cinema if you get the chance. Unless you have an impressive home theatre yourself.

I'd like to add the Wes Anderson films. I've seen most of them. I loved all of those. I haven't seen his first two features, but I'll make up for that. For the record, the films I've seen and recommend are The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou , The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moonrise Kingdom, and the last one, The Grand Budapest Hotel.