N-Europe

Twilight Princess HD (4th March)

Hogge

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer if I was having some more info about Zelda U :p

Tbh I'm not sure I'd pick this up unless it was hitting budget - I've still only barely played WW on my WiiU, let alone finding the 40ish hours for this game again, and without labouring the point, the amiibo+additional content puts me off some. It was definitely a great game, but I feel like I'd be better off just playing it again on my Wii or via Dolphin and upscaled if I was all that fussed about the graphics - HD isn't really enough to do it for me.

I played TP again a year or so ago so it's pretty fresh. Common sense says that there's nothing that this game could possibly offer me that would justify its purchase. Shinier graphics and minor changes don't really make it worth buying for me.

So I put in my preorder yesterday...

Amiibo functionality translated from Famitsu.

Wolf Link unlocks the Thorough Battle: Trial of the Beast area. Clearing this area with the giant's wallet increases your maximum rupee count to 9999.

Link and Toon Link fully replenish your arrows once per day.

Zelda and Shiek fully replenish your hearts once per day

Ganondorf makes you take double damage.

I'm really interested in knowing if Ganondof will stack with hero mode if the Amazon France description was right.

Wow, sounds utterly uncontroversial.

Whaaaat!? People overreacting about amiibo usage before any actual concrete details are revealed?

I, for one, am shocked. SHOCKED!

tumblr_mx3r72ouy81sm30sso1_400.gif

Look at my shocked face!

I mean, how will you guys cope with only a thousand rupees!?

Ahem...

Of course, we don't know anything about what data will get transferred over to Zelda Wii U yet. So maybe the outrage will be well founded in the end.

Whaaaat!? People overreacting about amiibo usage before any actual concrete details are revealed?

I, for one, am shocked. SHOCKED!

tumblr_mx3r72ouy81sm30sso1_400.gif

Look at my shocked face!

I mean, how will you guys cope with only a thousand rupees!?

Ahem...

Of course, we don't know anything about what data will get transferred over to Zelda Wii U yet. So maybe the outrage will be well founded in the end.

Huh? Reactions seem pretty justified to me. As was previously mentioned, there is an area/dungeon/call it what you will locked behind the amiibo. Obviously we don't know how big an area it may be until release, but it's still the very thing people were annoyed about! Let's be honest, it's not about the reward (a wallet) - it's the actual content; the gameplay that people are not happy about not receiving unless they buy an amiibo.

And you know, I can totally understand those complaints. The standalone experience is very overpriced. For a full price game you are getting a remake of one game; for the price of £25 or so you can pickup remake of all 3 Uncharted games. For £20 or so you can pick up FFX and FFX-2 remastered. I don't think it's wrong to complain about the extra cost on top of full price to get an amiibo for the extra content. Nintendo are taking people for a ride.

As for the pay for a figure that heals you in game...I don't think anyone at all is jealous that they are not getting that perk without the amiibo. The complaint with that one is that it cheapens the experience (yeah, even if you're not actively using it yourself). It is rather sell out for the Zelda franchise.

Edited by Sheikah

And you know, I can totally understand those complaints. The standalone experience is very overpriced. For a full price game you are getting a remake of one game

This is really "interesting". They charge full price, while it seems the competition doesn't (you have some examples).

It doesn't really matter for me, as I haven't played Zelda Windwaker or TP (only a bit, so it's OK for me, I actually torrented the game) so I will pay that money for it, but for people who already played it it is really a lot.

This is really "interesting". They charge full price, while it seems the competition doesn't (you have some examples).

It doesn't really matter for me, as I haven't played Zelda Windwaker or TP (only a bit, so it's OK for me, I actually torrented the game) so I will pay that money for it, but for people who already played it it is really a lot.

Yeah, it is a bit pricey. There's quite a lot of other remakes where you get more than one game for 25ish or less. I know Wind Waker was a very good remake and there are some bad remakes, but there's also a lot of good remakes for cheaper too. I got Wind Waker when it was bundled with a Wii U for quite a bit off so it wasn't so bad.

As for the pay for a figure that heals you in game...I don't think anyone at all is jealous that they are not getting that perk without the amiibo. The complaint with that one is that it cheapens the experience (yeah, even if you're not actively using it yourself). It is rather sell out for the Zelda franchise.

See, this is what I don't get about your point. I can understand criticisms regarding the extra trial, but this... is the same thing as buying a red potion in-game and using it, a feature that has been there in the series since LttP. It's not a game-breaking ability, it's not a multiplayer game, and TP isn't even particularly challenging to begin with (getting those red potions is probably less bothersome than fetching the Amiibo from its spot and scanning it, too).

What part of the experience is getting cheapened, exactly?

How is it the same as using a red potion? You earn a red potion in game by doing stuff, while the other way you pay with real money to get it, very much breaking the fourth wall with the game.

It's obviously not seriously game breaking but can it be explained in any way other than Nintendo wanting to add value to amiibo? Don't worry, this isn't just a Zelda thing with me - the existence of 'pay to unlock all treasure chests' in Assassin's creed evokes a similar feeling. Why would these chests be delivered to the character if real money is spent?

Edited by Sheikah

I suspect about 1% of people who buy TP:HD are going to tap an amiibo to get extra arrows. And that's being generous. And even if they do, who cares.

The funny thing is that this shouldn't need any justification at all. Apparently, disliking dumbing down of franchises or shoe-ins of day 1 DLC means that you are automatically a snob, or hate people not good at games. A villain of sorts!

I for one will gladly champion whenever devs opt to maintain a minimum level of competence required in games rather than seeking profits through lowest common denominator design. Not to mention a certain level of immersion - knowing that tapping an item in the real world can achieve the same result in game, or that such a thing exists, does indeed take something away I think. If you don't feel like that, cool. But there's nothing wrong with people that do!

You must dislike an awful lot of AAA games these days. If you have a problem with Nintendo's version of day 1 DLC and the like, what the competition gets up to must drive you crazy.

Edited by Ronnie

The main problem for me is it just really doesn't feel like this sort of thing should be in a Zelda game.

I get what Sheikah is saying. It breaks the fourth wall. I'm fine with games having cheats, easy modes, whatever, the vast majority of games should try to be accessible as possible for people to enjoy them. But Zelda for me is a special, it's not just a game, it's an experience. An adventure. Areas locked behind DLC/Amiibo bonuses just don't fit with the ethos of it to me. Fair enough if it doesn't bother you, but I don't like it. And sure, other developers may be worse for this kind of thing, but for me that doesn't excuse Nintendo doing it.

What's being locked behind amiibo here may not be a lot, but it is a worrying trend - who's to say more won't be locked away in future games?

I suspect about 1% of people who buy TP:HD are going to tap an amiibo to get extra arrows. And that's being generous. And even if they do, who cares.

An awful lot of people care about what Nintendo are tying to amiibo, actually. It actually surprised me when I saw I wasn't just one of a small number of people a little disgruntled about it over when EG posted an article about this.

You must dislike an awful lot of AAA games these days. If you have a problem with Nintendo's version of day 1 DLC and the like, what the competition gets up to must drive you crazy.

I dislike D1 DLC for obvious customer-shafting purposes and generally any purchasable gameplay advantages (some devs can be pretty opportunistic with their pricing and hooking people with microtransactions, not to mention they detract from the point/integrity of the game). I'm not that bothered about cosmetic DLC within reason (e.g. matching the tone of the game - again, the immersion factor). I'd say that's a pretty common viewpoint often shared by others.

Edited by Sheikah

How is it the same as using a red potion? You earn a red potion in game by doing stuff, while the other way you pay with real money to get it, very much breaking the fourth wall with the game.

Ok, the 4th wall breaking, I understand.

The "paying money" thing is something I still have difficulty seeing. Short version is, I feel this Amiibo is too cumbersome and expensive to be compared to pay-to-win measures, and its perk is better compared to game saves or the old e-reader cards that never made it out of Japan

Essentially, when you pay-to-win, you are paying exclusively to win/unlock something, and the service has absolutely no value beyond that purpose.

With Amiibos, this is not the case, as they're toys/figurines first, and gameplay devices second, and even if you don't see their value as a collector's item, we're talking about Smash Bros Amiibos. "Helping you in Twilight Princess" is a very secondary purpose for them (and you can't even buy them instantly or on a whim to help you on the spot).

So, it's a perk that encourages interconnectivity and brand loyalty. Like Psycho Mantis checking out other Konami games, or unlocking an extra trophy in Melee by having a save from Pikmin. Sure, this one has gameplay benefits (not unlike the e-reader, or stuff like Symphonia 1 giving you useful items in Symphonia 2), but it's still just a small perk. Nobody's buying an Amiibo for this perk, is what I mean.

EDIT: All of that said, I'm only talking about the hearts thing, not the extra dungeon, which is a bigger deal.

Edited by Jonnas

I suppose whether it's a primary or secondary feature is not really what matters to me. That it exists is, like I say, breaking the fourth wall between the player and game and is something that I feel should not really be there. It can't be explained within the scope of the game other than Nintendo wanting to add value to their toys.

4th wall breaking, sure I get that. Shafting the consumer, no. And anyway it's hardly the first time Zelda games have done things like this: NPCs telling people to swing the Wii remote to swing your sword, or the Tingle Tuner shaped like a GBA, or even a Yoshi doll in Link's Awakening etc....

Ha, the Yoshi doll. I loved aiming for that. Anyway, most of those are cosmetic or curios, no? Goofy, but for me don't have the same effect as 'tap purchased amiibo to heal and not die'. I take your point though, Zelda is not as rigid as some series, but it still doesn't sit right with me. Given the small Wii U userbase it doesn't seem like most people are buying amiibos for the Wii U content, so do Nintendo really need to tie these things to them?

Again, it doesn't really take anything from the game, so FOR NOW it shouldn't be a big deal. Especially here, as I am sure the dungeon was built for the amiibo, otherwise it would be available in the Wii version.

I don't even care about Splatoon levels, because single player campaing is there and I can enjoy it fully, plus it doesn't help in the multiplayer, so I am happy with that.

I think Kounan makes a good point. Traditionally, new dungeons in Zelda remakes/ports have included something very clearly "new" about it (for example, LA: DX had the Colour Dungeon and LttP for the GBA had the Four Sword Palace), so the suggestion that this new dungeon might use the Amiibo for something is not that farfetched. It might use the U-pad instead, though, but still.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!