Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Twilight Princess HD (4th March)

Hogge

While stuff like Mario Kart costumes and Mario Maker skins are obviously created for amiibo, things like extra levels/dungeons are when things get a little hazy.

There's no real way to know whether stuff like the levels in Splatoon were actually part of the game and then cut off for amiibo usage. I'm more inclined to believe this was the case and that the levels in question were originally a challenge mode that was unlocked after completion of the campaign. Had these came after the game was released, and weren't already of the disc, then it would be fair to say that those were created separately.

The same thing goes for the new dungeon on Twilight Princess, if it is indeed real and already on the disc.

I'm unsure though. The only times a Zelda port/remaster have been to reward people with extra hardware

Color Dungeon in Link's Awakening DX was only available if you had a GameBoy Color

A Link to the Past GBA had a dungeon you could only play through if you had a link cable and friends, or 4 GBAs.

All other Zelda remasters lacked new dungeons/content and didn't have any extra hardware. It makes sense to me that this dungeon/cave was created for the sole purpose of amiibo content.

Edited by Serebii

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new dungeon is probably where the main links between Zelda TP HD and Zelda Wii U come into play in terms of transferable data, so I reckon that the new dungeon's gimmick probably wouldn't work if you didn't have the Wolf Link amiibo anyway.

Until we know exactly how it works, we can't really say that it's "DLC in disguise" yet... They're obviously using the writeable storage capabilities of the Amiibo for something here, so it's not just unlocking stuff in Zelda TP HD...

This is a very good point, in my head I was thinking that it would be an extra standalone dungeon but the thought of parts of one game carrying over via the amiibo is quite exciting stuff.

Kind of like perhaps in the same way as Stop 'n Swop was going to be implemented between Banjo-Kazooie & Tooie on the N64 but in a more robust and functional way thanks to the NFC technology employed by the figures...

Perhaps carrying over a new key item from Twilight Princess HD which would enable you to discover a "secret" area hidden deep within the expansive overworld of Zelda Wii U.

An exciting prospect indeed, one thing is for certain, these next few months are going to prove very interesting indeed depending on what imformation crops up. : peace:

Kind of like perhaps in the same way as Stop 'n Swop was going to be implemented between Banjo-Kazooie & Tooie on the N64 but in a more robust and functional way thanks to the NFC technology employed by the figures...

Stop 'n' Swop was done on the 360 versions, though.

All it needs for cross-game stuff to function is save files on the HDD.

Until we know exactly how it works, we can't really say that it's "DLC in disguise" yet... They're obviously using the writeable storage capabilities of the Amiibo for something here, so it's not just unlocking stuff in Zelda TP HD...

True, it's not just unlocking stuff in Twilight Princess, it's unlocking stuff in the new Zelda. So it's a buy-one-get-one-free-on-DLC! How generous of Nintendo.

Stop 'n' Swop was done on the 360 versions, though.

All it needs for cross-game stuff to function is save files on the HDD.

It depends on how it's implemented...

If it's something that requires repeated use, like say for example there's a pattern on a wall in the new TP dungeon that you absorb with the Amiibo and then paste onto a corresponding wall in Zelda Wii U to solve a puzzle, then it wouldn't really work via traditional save file sharing means...

We are kind of jumping to conclusions here, especially with a series like Zelda that is known for crazy stuff that fully utilities Nintendo's unique hardware like this :heh:

Edited by Dcubed

It depends on how it's implemented...

If it's something that requires repeated use, like say for example there's a pattern on a wall in the new TP dungeon that you absorb with the Amiibo and then paste onto a corresponding wall in Zelda Wii U to solve a puzzle, then it wouldn't really work via traditional save file sharing means...

We are kind of jumping to conclusions here, especially with a series like Zelda that is known for crazy stuff that fully utilities Nintendo's unique hardware like this :heh:

All hail the Tingle Tuner. The precursor to the Wii U GamePad :D

I'm unsure though. The only times a Zelda port/remaster have been to reward people with extra hardware

Color Dungeon in Link's Awakening DX was only available if you had a GameBoy Color

A Link to the Past GBA had a dungeon you could only play through if you had a link cable and friends, or 4 GBAs.

All other Zelda remasters lacked new dungeons/content and didn't have any extra hardware. It makes sense to me that this dungeon/cave was created for the sole purpose of amiibo content.

The colour dungeon needed colour as it was designed around using the colour screen and colour coded enemies to solve the puzzles; the multiplayer requirement for some of LTTP GBA similarly was the case because it actually had puzzles that were thoughtfully created for multiplayer play.

I don't see how you can argue a dungeon would somehow need an amiibo to be cleared or unlocked, at least not in a non-arbitrary way. There is also the issue that if it did center around tapping an amiibo as the main gimmick that it wouldn't be very fun. Think Tesco checkouts meets Zelda. It might be that amiibo will just be the requirement to unlock it.

I've noticed that this has caused a bit of a shitstorm on Eurogamer's article feed. Least I'm not the only one to think it.

Edited by Sheikah

The colour dungeon needed colour as it was designed around using the colour screen and colour coded enemies to solve the puzzles; the multiplayer requirement for some of LTTP GBA similarly was the case because it actually had puzzles that were thoughtfully created for multiplayer play.

lolwhat. No it didn't. Multiplayer was needed to unlock it but the dungeon wasn't multiplayer.

lolwhat. No it didn't. Multiplayer was needed to unlock it but the dungeon wasn't multiplayer.

Oh right, I thought you were talking about Four Swords Adventures.

Either way, a bad practice in the past does not make a bad practice in the present OK, does it?

I've noticed that this has caused a bit of a shitstorm on Eurogamer's article feed. Least I'm not the only one to think it.

It's not just you, plenty were kicking off on places like Gaf and Gamefaqs. Even Nintendo only sites like NintendoLife had people kicking off about the situation.

Speaking of NintendoLife, they have just posted an article in regards to this issue.

HERE

/QUOTE]

Couldn't they have just used shading like on other games that uses 'colour' as a puzzle/boss/whatever?

As for a new dungeon with the wolf link. Awesome news I say; let people bitch and moan over it; it's what the internet loves doing about everything anyway! More stuff like this is all good in my eyes!

Couldn't they have just used shading like on other games that uses 'colour' as a puzzle/boss/whatever?

The argument is not whether they could have done something else because you can always do something else. Wii Sports could have been played with a standard controller, using buttons to swing, if Nintendo had made it so.

My point was that tying the colour dungeon to that feature made sense because colour actually made it clearer and was a cool theme to revolve around. Tying a dungeon to an amiibo seems quite arbitrary because all you can do with an amiibo is scan it. That is not itself a cool feature. I'm more inclined to think that beyond using it to save some data it is mostly just going to be an unlock pass.

As for a new dungeon with the wolf link. Awesome news I say; let people bitch and moan over it; it's what the internet loves doing about everything anyway! More stuff like this is all good in my eyes!

Concerning to see this attitude; locking significant day 1 content behind amiibo is not something to revel in. It would be like if anyone cheered that PS Plus became mandatory to play online.

Edited by Sheikah

Tying the dungeon to the Amiibo will is interesting because it will effect whether I buy the game or not. I was thinking when it was announced that I would not bother with a straight port and only buy the game if there was something new, like a dungeon, in the game.

Now that it is tied to Amiibo I am not so sure. I don't want any more Amiibo - particularly as storage space for the ones I have is at a premium. So, to get the game and put up with the Amiibo or just forget about it.....

Having said that, in general, I don't mind the concept of the special edition of the game having more content than the regular edition (as that is what this effectively is), but when the game in question is a remake of a game I have already played, that is a greyer area...

The more i think about it the more i don't like the paywall over the dungeon - having recently got Lego Dimensions and getting irritated by the numerous paywalls (hampered further by sets needed not even on sale) i think that its not exactly right to hold meaningful content in such a way

I think if it had to be done, be a first with Amiibo thing then as DLC in a month after release

I don't think Nintendo would restrict the new content exclusively for users with the Amiibo. I'm assuming that the Amiibo will act as a shortcut to unlocking it, but that there will be a way to get it by completing something in game. Doesn't 'Destiny' do something similar? Offering micro transactions to quickly unlock consumables, but also allowing the player to unlock the consumables themselves through gameplay?

I really don't think Nintendo would restrict content just to Amiibo owners, they're just trying to figure out ways to implement the Amiibo.

And Sheikah, dazzy was just saying he welcomes new uses for Amiibo he wasn't delighting in the possibility of locked content on the disc. You're clutching at straws and over reacting. When it comes to the release there really will be no difference between unlocking the Amiibo dungeon and progressing further in the game - the first temple being out of reach until you get a sword and shield is as much 'locked content' as this new dungeon will be.

I don't think Nintendo would restrict the new content exclusively for users with the Amiibo. I'm assuming that the Amiibo will act as a shortcut to unlocking it, but that there will be a way to get it by completing something in game. Doesn't 'Destiny' do something similar? Offering micro transactions to quickly unlock consumables, but also allowing the player to unlock the consumables themselves through gameplay?

I really don't think Nintendo would restrict content just to Amiibo owners, they're just trying to figure out ways to implement the Amiibo.

Splatoon single player challenges say hi.

Splatoon single player challenges say hi.

Exactly this @killthenet. Like Hero says, they've locked away a fair amount of content before, solely for amiibo owners.

As for clutching for straws, I really don't believe I am. I honestly think that someone ignoring all criticisms of this tie-in and seeing it as completely a good thing is a bit concerning (I like the idea of the extra dungeon, just not the amiibo integration). The point is, if enough people aren't bothered about D1 content paywalling then how far will Nintendo take it?

Edited by Sheikah

The argument is not whether they could have done something else because you can always do something else. Wii Sports could have been played with a standard controller, using buttons to swing, if Nintendo had made it so.

My point was that tying the colour dungeon to that feature made sense because colour actually made it clearer and was a cool theme to revolve around. Tying a dungeon to an amiibo seems quite arbitrary because all you can do with an amiibo is scan it. That is not itself a cool feature. I'm more inclined to think that beyond using it to save some data it is mostly just going to be an unlock pass.

Concerning to see this attitude; locking significant day 1 content behind amiibo is not something to revel in. It would be like if anyone cheered that PS Plus became mandatory to play online.

Yeah, I guess. Still only a slight push to justify it in particular though. As for amiibo dungeon. Who knows, we don't know anything about it, and there's 'something' as something moves over to the next zelda.

As for locking content. Just don't see it as that bad, it could be like Mario maker and just a quick unlock. Plus it's not quite the same as locked DLC which we've been through before. More a freebie/speedup if you have the amiibo (which you can then sell on if you wanted, or lend it to friends or whatever); plus we don't know how it will be used yet.

I'm slightly bias as I'll be getting the amiibo anyway so the more they offer the better. And I enjoy the experimentation and variety of amiibo uses. If the extra money of potential amiibo sales is being used to make a new area then isn't that justified? Also, there is something great about using amiibo to unlock stuff - I'm 36 and I quite enjoy tapping my amiibo to bring a smash character in or get some rupees in Hyrule, never mind if I was a kid and could do all these things with them. That tiny slice of fun. That's what gaming is about. In the same way I loved the barcode battler as a kid, you can rip all these things a part in their pointlessness, but there is a fun to be had from it all.

Though I think the timing is the issue with most people. If in a month they released a new dungeon with an amiibo it probably feels better. Same with the splatoon levels. If they added them in afterward I think people wouldn't have a problem with it.

Edited by dazzybee

Though I think the timing is the issue with most people. If in a month they released a new dungeon with an amiibo it probably feels better. Same with the splatoon levels. If they added them in afterward I think people wouldn't have a problem with it.

Yeah, that makes a massive difference. It then feels more like an add on, rather than having it being locked on the disc. Having it locked on the disc makes it hard to see whether the content has been made before thinking about amiibo and then gated or actually just made specifically for amiibo.

Literally just pre-ordered mine. :)

If you are buying the limited edition for £49.99 and you add a cheap keyring to take it over £50 then you can get a free 2016 calander (worth £7.99) with the following codes...

KARTCALENDAR1

MARIOCALENDAR1

ZELDACALENDAR1

CROSSINGCALENDAR1

Worth it if you needed or wanted a 2016 calendar. : peace:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!