Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Splatoon Direct - 7th May

Serebii

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not free on Saturday at all...so if I download it but don't play it...I'll still get the discount, right??

"Players who download the demo can also claim a 10% discount off the price of Splatoon on Nintendo eShop, with the offer starting on May 29th and lasting until June 4th*."

"*Offer price: £31.49; regular price: £34.99 – Splatoon Global Testfire must have been downloaded from Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U before the purchase of Splatoon."

so yeah, still get the discount. So download your discount soon!

Can you actually do anything with it before Saturday though? :hmm:

you can find out the game may contain product placement, try to connect to the internet and be informed that the server is currently undergoing maintanence.

Aside from that... nope :(

Oh, unless you like the splatoon music, you can listen to that, and look at the menu screen. Although it does get to a point where the last 8 seconds just loops.

Edited by Pestneb

To be fair I think once voice chat was taken out of the equation, the people who wanted serious team fps action left the table, and itis those people who would be most bothered about being able to set your own team. That's how I see it anyway.

Summary of Direct:

• direct link: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/05-07-2015/
  • presents itself as an aperture science style powerpoint presentation
  • shows the character creation, lets you change skin color and eye color, but not hair color
  • you build momentum for longer jumps in squid form swimming in ink
  • shows off turf war
  • stepping in enemy ink impedes your movement, unclear if you take damage or not (you probably do)
  • the points you earn in a match are directly translated into currency to buy from shops, and it builds your XP
  • shows off urchin underpass (E3 map,) saltspray rig, blackbelly skatepark, walleye warehouse, and arowana mall (no new maps)
  • shows off inkopolis plaza, and the shops as following: booyah base (accessory shop,) jelly fresh (shirts shop,) shrimp kicks (shoe shop,) and cooler heads (hats shop,) and ammo knights (weapons store) and details about each shopkeepers personality
  • the efficiency of weapons you purchase increases as you level up
  • 3 general weapon types: shooters, chargers, and rollers
  • shows off the splattershot and blaster, and 2 new weapons; the aerospray mg, and the jet squelcher
  • shows off the splat charger, and 2 new weapons: the e-liter 3K, and splatterscope
  • shows off the splat roller and one new weapon: the dynamo roller
  • weapons are sold in sets, you cannot select your sub and special weapon
  • sub weapons: ink bomb, subction bomb, burst bomb, point sensor, ink mine, squid beacon, and the disruptor
  • special weapons: inkzooka, killer wail, inkstrike, echolocator, bubbler, and the kraken
  • clothes are sold in brands, and you can special order from one brand by inspecting an inkling at inkopolis plaza, similar to ordering furniture from streetpasses in animal crossing new leaf
  • perks are called abilities, clothes can earn more slots for perks by leveling them up by wearing them more
  • however, you can talk to spyke (new retailer) to buy more perk slots with a super sea snail
  • hero mode is renamed to octo valley
  • teakettles will teleport you throughout the current level in the singleplayer campaign
  • your goal at the end of every mission is to rescue an electric zappfish
  • the singleplayer levels will have several things that set each other apart, such as invisible floors, or geysers you shoot to ink up vertically
  • singleplayer will have boss battles
  • collect power eggs in the singleplayer to level up your weapon for the singleplayer exclusively
  • collect sunken scrolls in the singleplayer (one per stage) for exposition
  • INKLING JPOP
  • battle dojo is shown off
  • online is shown off further
  • regular battles are just turf war, and you can connect to a friends server. you can only vote between 2 maps at a time, and the list refreshes every 4 hours
  • ranked battles are splat zones (king of the hill gamemode,) and 2 new ones: tower control, and rainmaker
  • in tower control, you swim up a hovering tower and shoot it with ink. when you take contorl of it, it starts hovering toward a goal. you can capture an enemy's tower to move it toward your goal. the team to reach their goal first wins. comparable to payload in tf2, except not asymmetrical
  • the details for rainmaker are currently unknown
  • when enough players reach level 10, the level requirement for ranked battles will be patched out
  • dlc will be available to all players for free, such as new maps and weapons
  • the ink brush is planned for dlc
  • private lobbies will be patched in in august 2015
  • 2d arcade game is shown off, called ink jump, just a doodle jump clone
  • amiibo are shown off further
  • each amiibo offers 20 different missions
  • girl inkling provides charger challenges, boy inkling offers rollers challenges, and the squid amiibo offers kraken challenges and ink challenges
  • finishing amiibo levels unlocks new 2d arcade minigames in addition to cosmetic gear
  • the inkling singers host events called splatfests, in which all players are divided into teams. separate matchmaking mode from regular battles and ranked battles. playing them unlocks super sea snails for adding perks. similar to conquest mode in smash 4
  • first splatfest is june 20th-june 21st
  • SPLATOON ONLINE DEMO AVAILABLE ONLY THIS FRIDAY & SATURDAY !!!RIGHT NOW!!!
  • preorderers from gamestop get inkling costumes in smash 4

I'm actually wondering if a voice chat option will arrive with the August update. As the game is at the moment, it would be a useless feature given that you could end up on opposite teams.

Was hoping for an Inkling in Smash trailer though as a "Some Inklings have even made their way out of their habitat" sort of thing, but aals.

So you can only play with gamepad.

Fck you Nintendo!!! I bought the pro controller as I don't want to use the GamePad.

Give me a choice.

The game does make some serious use of the GamePad's touchscreen though. Wouldn't quite work without it really, except in 1v1

Seems like the game is unfinished and they're getting the rest of the content out after launch...

Considering the situation they're in... I can't really blame them though. At least they're not charging for it!

Timed demos, different modes out after launch, in-game advertising and amiibo DLC. I was going to give this direct a chance but I honestly can't be bothered after reading all this. Everything seems so awkward and such a faff. I might get it 6 months down the line when it's actually completed but as it is, the release seems as borked and confusing as the Wii U itself.

Timed demos, different modes out after launch, in-game advertising and amiibo DLC. I was going to give this direct a chance but I honestly can't be bothered after reading all this. Everything seems so awkward and such a faff. I might get it 6 months down the line when it's actually completed but as it is, the release seems as borked and confusing as the Wii U itself.

-Timed demo is a server stress test ahead of launch

-I agree some are annoying, but what's wrong with adding FREE modes after a game's launch?

-I don't understand. Are you talking about the Mii Fighters?

-We knew the amiibo stuff already. It's just rejigs of already existing challenges.

Wait, WHAT?

Lel. That's the decision made for me, then...was quite interested in the game but now...:blank:

Are we not over this yet? What is this, 2012?

The GamePad is a vital bit of kit for this game. You need it to quick-travel to parts of the map and to see the progress of covering the map with ink and if your teammates need help.

Anyway, I promised the mods earlier this week I'd leave the Splatoon when the flamestorm begins about the delayed parts announced in the Direct so I shall now take my leave.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Are we not over this yet? What is this, 2012?

The GamePad is a vital bit of kit for this game. You need it to quick-travel to parts of the map and to see the progress of covering the map with ink and if your teammates need help.

Well, I would say that a minimap + voicechat would resolve that "teammates need help problem" but that would be such a ridiculous claim.

And quicktravel would be possible without the gamepad.

Anyway, game has some interesting points but crucial aspects destroy every interest I have.

My word at this Gamepad reaction!

I don't even care about the game and I knew it would need the Gamepad.

How the hell would you keep track of the map situation?

Some of you don't pay nearly enough attention.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!