Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

Fairs dos. Why not just wait with the purchase until Mario?

Well I might as well get one whilst I can get as much for the WiiU and 3DS on trade in.

I've unlinked my NNID from both consoles and formatted the system memory on each ready for trade in.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget Animal Crossing. The online potential for that game is phenomenal, I'd be surprised if they'd have it out before Xmas 2017, but it would be the perfect time to drop it (along with the delayed phone app version for decoration, etc.)

Actually thinking about it, I could see Animal crossing being ready - there was no Wii U version released.... it could come pretty quickly.

Well I might as well get one whilst I can get as much for the WiiU and 3DS on trade in.

I've unlinked my NNID from both consoles and formatted the system memory on each ready for trade in.

yeah. scarcity probably won't help drive Wii U prices too long, the GC is super cheap, now is probably the time to bite for Wii U sales. Personally keeping mine for keeps, I still play my GC from time to time, and it will save on me double dipping on Nintendo's Nostalgia drive. Planning on building a gaming den in my next place, not got a full compliment of consoles, but I figure I have enough. The Wii U will fit in nicely enough there alongside my Wii and probably (hopefully) a Switch with a Nes tucked in there for special occasions :P

I still play my GC from time to time, and it will save on me double dipping on Nintendo's Nostalgia drive.

Speaking of the Gamecube, just thinking of all those classic GC games we could get on VC... Playing them as a handheld will be so... unworldy. A proper new experience.

Games like: The Capcom 5 (PN03 my personal fav), REmake (I-fucking-magine playing under the covers at night!!), Pokemon Colisseum & XD (weakish sauce but still a new experience), Twin Snakes, even obscure games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles could feel more inviting, especially if they gave it an online mode.

:yay:

From now on everytime someone doesn't mention Baten Kaitos when talking about games they want for GC VC I will punch a baby.

I never even got to play that, it felt hard to find at the time. ALSO haven't played Paper Mario Thousand Doors... Back in the day I remember retailers kept them at a crazy high price, even as preowned.

Speaking of the Gamecube, just thinking of all those classic GC games we could get on VC... Playing them as a handheld will be so... unworldy. A proper new experience.

Games like: The Capcom 5 (PN03 my personal fav), REmake (I-fucking-magine playing under the covers at night!!), Pokemon Colisseum & XD (weakish sauce but still a new experience), Twin Snakes, even obscure games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles could feel more inviting, especially if they gave it an online mode.

:yay:

Knowing Nintendo they would give one GameCube game every 3 months. Somehow they would mess it up.

I never even got to play that, it felt hard to find at the time. ALSO haven't played Paper Mario Thousand Doors... Back in the day I remember retailers kept them at a crazy high price, even as preowned.

Yeah I do have a small list of games I would love on GC VC.. I only ever go for games I never played before as a rule.

Luigi's mansion

Paper Mario TTYD

Star fox adventures

Final fantasy CC

Pikmin 2

Battalion wars

Custom Robo

N64

blast corps

Snes

star fox

Tales of phantasia

top gear

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Nes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project

Excite bike

RC Pro Am

Nintendo World cup

Disney's Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers

Yoshi's Cookie

Donkey Kong Jr.

Dig Dug

21 games I'd love but... besides those I've just realised I have 0 interest in vc now :| Also pretty confident that I'll never see at least 8 of those even if Nintendo had the will to get them on vc :D

Looking at Nintendo's release strategy, I think they are looking to drip in online every 6 months or so.

MK8 Deluxe for the free "lure" period.

I suspect Splatoon for the first 6 months.

SSB4 Deluxe probably April 2018

Then I struggle to see the next online big title they have... Maybe Pokemon October 2018? :P

Mario strikers, Splatoon 3, Mario Kart 9 and SSB5 are probably in development. Who knows, maybe a Metroid federation force game? I remember thinking in metroid prime, presumably sometimes the marines succeed or at least don't fail spectacularly. It could be a good spin off at least.

That would be an appalling strategy. And sort of wrong as arms is in around the same time as Mario kart. I think they need a steady of batch of online games - I expect smash and Pokemon this year' maybe pikmin with online too. In the immediate future animal crossing, monster hunter 5, any one of or some of the Mario sports titles. Plus I have a feeling retros game will have a big online component. They charge for it, they need to provide a great list of games that use it, not one every 6 months.

Throw in the online on send games, and hopefully n64/games too and it'll start to look well worth the 25 a month.

That would be an appalling strategy. And sort of wrong as arms is in around the same time as Mario kart. I think they need a steady of batch of online games - I expect smash and Pokemon this year' maybe pikmin with online too. In the immediate future animal crossing, monster hunter 5, any one of or some of the Mario sports titles. Plus I have a feeling retros game will have a big online component. They charge for it, they need to provide a great list of games that use it, not one every 6 months.

Throw in the online on send games, and hopefully n64/games too and it'll start to look well worth the 25 a month.

I didn't mean exclusively 1 online title per 6 months, but 1 flagship title.

Arms is more of a filler title I would suspect.. as in I wouldn't be shocked to hear online is quiet after a couple of months. MK8 has legs, same with splatoon and smash. Those I would say are the big 3.

It would be a mistake imo to release titles bunched up, have lots of activity and then have it die down... Mk8 is there to get players used to being online.. splatoon to hook people in (I'd imagine subs kicking in a month after splatoon releases). Maybe they'll go to DLC to give Mk8 deluxe/splatoon longevity, and release big hitters more once a year. 2018 maybe smash4, 2019 mk9, 2020 splatoon 3 and 2021 smash 5?

Nintendo have said about spacing titles to avoid long droughts. I think we see that with zelda and mario. a good 6 months space between single player focused games.. and I suspect it will be a similar story with MK8 and splatoon 2. Of course there will be other titles to fill out those 6 months, but they will be new/minor IP's. I'm not too confident year 1 will be packed with big hitters, say Metroid as a single player title (probably 3rd biggest after Mario and Zelda I would guess?) and DK. A luigi's mansion, Pikmin title, Pokemon kinda sits there (almost). if they release those titles about once every 6 months it would hold momentum better than releasing them with 2 months between them. They have limited capacity to develop games and need to manage releases, both for offline focused games and online ones. I imagine you are hoping Switch will see some 3rd party support to help Nintendo fill out their roster too. 4 games a year (big hitters) is one every 3 months... filled with some 1, 2 switch style games and arms etc. also indies (snipperclips style) and hopefully 3rd parties (FIFA... maybe once or even twice in the consoles life :D)

We shall see in anycase.

Yeah I do have a small list of games I would love on GC VC.. I only ever go for games I never played before as a rule.

I remember like yesterday coming home from my night shift as a working student, and giving Paper Mario N64 a try for the first time on the Wii VC - every night of that week was like gaming heaven.

Nintendo really should not undermine the importance of the VC, its such an easy way of capturing new audiences for their franchises who've never played their older games.

I didn't mean exclusively 1 online title per 6 months, but 1 flagship title.

Arms is more of a filler title I would suspect.. as in I wouldn't be shocked to hear online is quiet after a couple of months. MK8 has legs, same with splatoon and smash. Those I would say are the big 3.

It would be a mistake imo to release titles bunched up, have lots of activity and then have it die down... Mk8 is there to get players used to being online.. splatoon to hook people in (I'd imagine subs kicking in a month after splatoon releases). Maybe they'll go to DLC to give Mk8 deluxe/splatoon longevity, and release big hitters more once a year. 2018 maybe smash4, 2019 mk9, 2020 splatoon 3 and 2021 smash 5?

Nintendo have said about spacing titles to avoid long droughts. I think we see that with zelda and mario. a good 6 months space between single player focused games.. and I suspect it will be a similar story with MK8 and splatoon 2. Of course there will be other titles to fill out those 6 months, but they will be new/minor IP's. I'm not too confident year 1 will be packed with big hitters, say Metroid as a single player title (probably 3rd biggest after Mario and Zelda I would guess?) and DK. A luigi's mansion, Pikmin title, Pokemon kinda sits there (almost). if they release those titles about once every 6 months it would hold momentum better than releasing them with 2 months between them. They have limited capacity to develop games and need to manage releases, both for offline focused games and online ones. I imagine you are hoping Switch will see some 3rd party support to help Nintendo fill out their roster too. 4 games a year (big hitters) is one every 3 months... filled with some 1, 2 switch style games and arms etc. also indies (snipperclips style) and hopefully 3rd parties (FIFA... maybe once or even twice in the consoles life :D)

We shall see in anycase.

I see what you;re saying, still don't think it's going to happen though, they need a good quantity of games for when they start charging for the service in my opinion. Arms (I think this is going to be pretty big personally), Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon, Smash Bros plus one other big game; along with a batch of smaller ones. Most of the games will last people years!!

I see what you;re saying, still don't think it's going to happen though, they need a good quantity of games for when they start charging for the service in my opinion. Arms (I think this is going to be pretty big personally), Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon, Smash Bros plus one other big game; along with a batch of smaller ones. Most of the games will last people years!!

As you say, they have arms and I suspect a few others. But look at the biggest online titles for Wii U.

MK8 owned by about 50%, Smash and splatoon by around 33% of Wii U owners.

MK8 deluxe and splatoon 2 are already a big draw for online gamers. you've mentioned Arms, that and games like it are the sort of games I expect will pick up the slack on the online front.

but the big headliners, I would say they are the remakes and sequels of those three franchises. MK8, a few years later MK9, SSB4, followed by SSB5 and splatoon 2, followed by a sequel. 6 titles... of which 2 have been committed to 2017 already. dripping them in holds the service up, I think Nintendo may finally realise putting everything into launch and then leaving gamers with nothing new toward the latter years of the consoles life doesn't do them any good in the long term.

I 100% agree they need a number of titles, certainly in the lead up to the subscription charges, to demonstrate commitment, that online really is "the air that [they] breathe" and also that the product is value for money. I just don't think those titles should be too full of heavy weights. The promise of the next smash, mario kart and splatoon titles is already there, once they've been shoved out into the wild that's it.

All traded in. Switch, Zelda and I added the Pro Controller, all for £32. I got more than I thought for the trade.

Does this mean when you inevitably start moaning about how bad the online is once it launches we can tell you to shut up coz you only paid £32? :D:heh:

Anyone else here expecting the VC to not be ready at launch?

I remember like yesterday coming home from my night shift as a working student, and giving Paper Mario N64 a try for the first time on the Wii VC - every night of that week was like gaming heaven.

Nintendo really should not undermine the importance of the VC, its such an easy way of capturing new audiences for their franchises who've never played their older games.

Aye. The early days of the VC were like Xmas every week! It was amazing being able to play all these classics I'd always wanted to get around to, as well as old favourites with enhanced visual quality and new features like Suspend Saves.

While the Wii U VC had its moments, it was certainly much less exciting than the first time around, simply because the releases were much more sparse and less consoles were supported. Man, I'm pining for the early days of the VC to return. 'member when we'd get 3-4 games a week? I couldn't even imagine that happening again!

Edited by Dcubed

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!