N-Europe

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 29/08/2014 - 12pm

Serebii

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the XL doesn't have face plates?

wonder if they'll do metal face plates? they should do, it would a a robust premium feel to it

No doesn't look like it will have face plates. You can even tell from the picture of the device. You can see that the regular one has the ridge/line near the camera where the face plate would go, the XL doesn't have that.

2639839-3dsnew.jpg

I'm a little "meh" with the idea of a new 3DS model, especially with that new "C" stick. If there were games coming out for the console that i'd be interested in getting, and if they were only available on the new 3DS then i'll probably get one. But seeing as i only got an XL this year due to my old 3DS breaking, i'll hold off until it's worth getting a new model.

I'm fine with exclusive games for it, seeing as it's been done before with the Gameboy Color and DSi handhelds.

The Mushroom and 1-Up faceplates are genius, I want them. I also LOVE the retro styling of the buttons.

Though I can't understand how new games that take advantage of the Z triggers are suppsosed to also work on the old models.

Of course. It's Nintendo. And it's N-Europe. Sooooo... :heh:

Well said.

You two must be trolling surely? You know that they couldn't do that because existing games and apps wouldn't be able to run at the higher resolution...

You wont get a higher resolution screen until the next handheld comes out...

BTW, speaking of which. This New3DS also reaffirms their commitment to 3D as the new S3D screen is one of (if not THE biggest) new features of the revised handheld - so the next handheld will certainly also feature an S3D screen (just like they said it would some years back).

2DS was not a sign of their future as some naysayers predicted, merely a cost cutting exercise.

Speaking of which, I have no idea how the hell they've managed to build a parallax barrier screen that is able to actually move the barrier in accordance to the user's face! That's amazing!

I can't wait to see it in action!!! :bouncy: (WHY 2015!? WHY!?!?!?)

They could still do it actually, not sure why you're confused. While existing games would stay at the original resolution, new games would be coded at the new resolution (yet scaled down to original resolution on non-new 3DS devices). As long as the aspect ratio was the same, and the processor got beefed to support a new resolution (which it is being), then no problems.

Shame they didn't, as that and a proper second stick is what the 3DS really needed. If that's just a laptop nub then that's a real missed opportunity, and no buy from me.

Edited by Sheikah

They could still do it actually, not sure why you're confused. While existing games would stay at the original resolution, new games would be coded at the new resolution (yet scaled down to original resolution on non-new 3DS devices). As long as the aspect ratio was the same, and the processor got beefed to support a new resolution (which it is being), then no problems.

Shame they didn't, as that and a proper second stick is what the 3DS really needed. If that's just a laptop nub then that's a real missed opportunity, and no buy from me.

The way I've read it is that the extra beef is being divided the same way the Wii U was. Some will be going to the OS and some towards the gaming side but there's very little left over to make a huge difference to gaming. That's why I think the browser, Miiverse and download speeds have greatly improved. Maybe there's a way of changing that division of resources. The Xenoblade port is running on the newer model only for a reason(better CPU).

Also, having a better resolution would need a better screen which would drive up costs hugely. Wasn't there something about Vita dropping higher resolution screens.

Games like the Xenoblade port are struggling to match Wiis textures nevermind having a higher resolution. The older games aren't designed to be up ressed and newer games that could run on older models, to program both resolutions would be a lot of work. No? If you want higher res games, there'd have to be some trade off. Lesser looking games. You can't have everything.

Don't bite my head off if you think I'm wrong. It's just my opinion and I'm not a techie.

I'd be more concerned about c stick. I'd imagine also the extra triggers(ZL and ZR) will be harder to reach and without pressing L and R by mistake. Only guessing, I'd need to hold it to find out. I trust Nintendo know what they're doing.

To do a x2 resolution bump would require hardware that is several orders of magnitude better; the kind of hardware that you would get in a successor, not a DSi style revision...

That's why I'm saying that you'd have to wait until the next generation 3DS before they do that. It's not something that you'd get from a revision.

To do a x2 resolution bump would require hardware that is several orders of magnitude better; the kind of hardware that you would get in a successor, not a DSi style revision...

That's why I'm saying that you'd have to wait until the next generation 3DS before they do that. It's not something that you'd get from a revision.

It could be made that 2 x resolution would be enabled only in 2D mode. I'm sure everyone would trade for 3D in a heartbeat.

Plus it shouldn't be difficult or expensive to up the specs enough to double the resolution of what the 3DS does. Compared to what else is out there, 3DS is rather low end given the low res it outputs.

New vita machines have the same resolution but Sony went to a cheaper LCD screen.

The costs for Nintendo to bump up the resolution wouldn't be that great. Living in a time when you can get HD screen Android phones for under £100.

Nintendo wouldn't have had to gone to 720p screens. Just a higher resolution would have been nice.

Increasing resolution isn't as simple as just putting a screen with more pixels in, it would require more power, recoding of a lot of things etc. to the point it does make it a new system

They're already upping the power, and for something a lot less useful.

Like I said, they could either offer an option with no 3D for increased resolution (which loads would no doubt take up), or provide some still pretty affordable newer tech (since the 3DS really is pretty low tech) and be able to up the resolution. You only need to look at super cheap tablets that have far better spec than what I'm suggesting to see how doable it is.

Also offering multiple resolutions in console games is nothing new.

For anyone asking what is wrong with the resolution, for the 3DS XL in particular it is really bad (same number of pixels as 3DS but stretched out further).

They're already upping the power, and for something a lot less useful.

Like I said, they could either offer an option with no 3D for increased resolution (which loads would no doubt take up), or provide some still pretty affordable newer tech (since the 3DS really is pretty low tech) and be able to up the resolution. You only need to look at super cheap tablets that have far better spec than what I'm suggesting to see how doable it is.

Also offering multiple resolutions in console games is nothing new.

For anyone asking what is wrong with the resolution, for the 3DS XL in particular it is really bad (same number of pixels as 3DS but stretched out further).

So to make the OS faster, downloads faster etc. is "a lot less useful" than just increasing the resolution, causing issues with all legacy games and creating a divide between game developments?

Ok.

Yeah I'm the same Nando. It looks delicious. I'm not really here for the XL though. As a current original 3ds user (well, a Princess Peach limited ed one, obvs... :heh: ) I much prefer the size and portability over the larger model. Plus, the buttons, changeable covers and the fact it comes in white make it a more attractive proposition for me.

As others have said though, I just cannot get my head around the lack of 2014 launch outside of Japan. It is completely nonsensical. However, this is Nintendo we're on about so I'm hardly surprised.

I just want it now!

Face plates on the standard 3DS are tempting me to go back to that size, I hope they release a black version though.

Those SNES style buttons are amazing.

Seems such a shame they don't want to/can't release it over here this side of Christmas. Maybe they're waiting for better 'launch' games for it.

Power, charger and WiFi.

That's what I thought but I was counting an extra one as I thought there were 4 lights on the bottom.. but maybe the furthermost left one isn't an LED..? ::shrug:

Face plates on the standard 3DS are tempting me to go back to that size, I hope they release a black version though.

Well.. there is one in the picture I posted above, so I hope we get it too :hehe:

That's what I thought but I was counting an extra one as I thought there were 4 lights on the bottom.. but maybe the furthermost left one isn't an LED..? ::shrug:

Well.. there is one in the picture I posted above, so I hope we get it too :hehe:

That's the microphone :)

Yeah I'm the same Nando. It looks delicious. I'm not really here for the XL though. As a current original 3ds user (well, a Princess Peach limited ed one, obvs... :heh: ) I much prefer the size and portability over the larger model. Plus, the buttons, changeable covers and the fact it comes in white make it a more attractive proposition for me.

As others have said though, I just cannot get my head around the lack of 2014 launch outside of Japan. It is completely nonsensical. However, this is Nintendo we're on about so I'm hardly surprised.

I just want it now!

I was quite tempted to go with to the 3DS XL whenever I returned to the 3DS.

But if the screen size of the smaller model has been increased even if just by a little, perhaps it will need reconsidering.

I guess I'll wait for some hands on impressions... and try and find out if the additional size of the XL makes using the second stick any more comfortable?