NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

I am actually looking forward to this far more than most releases! I know the controls have had a lot of discussion and generated controversy, but the people who have spent the time getting to grips with them seem to love them.

The fact this game is played different is actually quite exciting - mainly because I am so damn curious to how it will play. I really can't wait! I also really enjoyed the coverage the game got on the N-E show, it sounds like once you give this new control scheme a try it feels really good!

Not out for delivery. Nuts :(

And here I am cleaning all the dust and debris off my Gamepad... :p

Oh well, it needed doing anyway... Star Fox Zero on Thursday it is then... I'll be watching out for that Royal Mail item delivery e-mail now. :D

Getting my copy via eshop Friday morning, what a time for my driving instructor to change my Thursday 10am slot to a Friday! :(

Still will be downloaded and ready for when I'm home, though chances are I won't get a good go on it until Monday really...

Saying that, I am really excited for this, I may have my blinkers on but the launch of a new game in a big Nintendo franchise always gets to me! :)

Not out for delivery. Nuts :(

You can track the delivery?

I just have a tracking which won't say anything until it has arrived.

My copy just fell through the door right now :D

I thought it was wierd when I got a dispatch message from ShopTo yesterday o_0

Time to play some Starfox!! :D

EDIT: Right after I charge my gamepad :(

Edited by martinist

For those who haven't got it yet, this preview from Eurogamer is really positive, it will raise your hype level through the roof!

Anything above a 7.5 is good for me. Surprisingly high reviews for GUARD though! No wonder they released it as a pack-in.

Can't wait to hear your impressions : peace:

Ive just done the first couple of stages and its very fiddly. I was running around as the walker and fail to see why I couldn't use the right stick to aim, while the rolls and boosts could have been mapped to buttons.

Game looks pretty though, in a simple kind of way.

I was about to write a joke post trashing you for it not being 9/10, then I clicked and read it :p

Fantastic review mate :)

'Joke'

I'm onto you :heh:

Ive just done the first couple of stages and its very fiddly. I was running around as the walker and fail to see why I couldn't use the right stick to aim, while the rolls and boosts could have been mapped to buttons.

That's all I needed to hear to make a decision on buying this or not.

You know the descriptions of the controls don't put me off, but some of the reviews are citing familiarity and dull levels - that is a bit more concerning.

From the nintendoworldreport review:

Star Fox Zero’s tried-and-true format and style is, at times, its greatest strength and greatest weakness. This is a brand new Star Fox shooting adventure in 2016, complete with fun new mechanics, dazzling HD graphics, and tons of secrets. On the other hand, it too often treads into remake-like feelings of familiarity. The level design is all different and unique, but the locations and the story are nearly identical

And Eurogamer:

A few too many times Zero can feel plain sloppy - not an adjective you'd usually find yourself flinging Platinum's way - with the camera playing truant during cinematic moments in which you're still in control of your ship, or in an extended and unwelcome stealth section or perhaps in one of its free-range dogfights. As a result, the half dozen hours it takes to run through the campaign - a generous advance on the relatively slim run time of Star Fox 64 - can feel bloated, and a grimly challenging final stretch where the camera does its best to get in your way is likely enough to make you think twice about heading into the arcade mode that's unlocked upon completion.

Yeah, after reading a few reviews, this isn't for me. There's just not enough on offer to make me want to get it at full price, maybe when it's sub-£20. Sure, it may have good "replay value" for its short campaign, but to be honest, I'm unlikely to play through it again and again once I've tried the multiple paths. Plus the controls of course which I really didn't get on with in the demo.

It just doesn't seem new enough, although the levels are "new" the whole thing is pretty much a retread of Lylat Wars. They could've been a whole lot more ambitious. It just seems so barebones.

You know the descriptions of the controls don't put me off, but some of the reviews are citing familiarity and dull levels - that is a bit more concerning:

I've just played a dull level myself. I think it was the 4th mission and it was pretty much an exclusive hover/glider thing stage. Very slow paced and very boring. The controls for that vehicle aren't that bad though.

I should point out that I am still getting it - I committed to a pre-order, its just a bit worrying.

Mind you I have not played the original or any star fox games since the N64 days so it might not seem that stale to me.

I should point out that I am still getting it - I committed to a pre-order, its just a bit worrying.

Mind you I have not played the original or any star fox games since the N64 days so it might not seem that stale to me.

The next mission was much better. Felt a bit like the Battle of Endor. :D The game is a bit all over the place. One minute it feels very action heavy and then the next it slows to a crawl. I'd prefer to just stay in my Arwing if I had the choice.

mmm the reviews not saying the controls are as bad I thought they would be. still it just doesnt scream at me to go and buy it

maybe once it hits £25 range.