NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

Ubisoft's Eagle Flight is pretty much that. Has animals and everything :heh:

But yeah barrel rolling would be something with VR.

Isn't barrel rolling a bit too slow in this game? I mean, double-tapping the right stick just feels too slow for the purpose of barrel roll.

Yeah, that's one of my biggest issues. Barrel rolling is slow and half the time I try to do it, it doesn't even work right.

Good god. I just can't seem to defeat Andross. This is ridiculously tricky.

Good god. I just can't seem to defeat
Andross.

This is ridiculously tricky.

Go straight in to Andross, grabbing a Gold ring on each attempt as you go through, use the Walker.

When he pulls back a punch, shoot his palm until he makes a fist then boost out of the way instead of side-rolling with the Walker.

If he uses one hand and hovers it above you, shoot the palm with a charged shot and then boost away.

In the instance of him brining both hands together, just focus shooting one continuously, he will recoil in pain.

Repeat until one of his hands are down, when this happens, immediately transform into the Arwing, grabbing the Laser power up from the first destroyed hand if you can.

Now on the outside, look at the TV, don't worry about how far away or close to the structure you are, just focus on going up and down under the laser beams, once it stops, grab one or two silver rings if you need them and then focus on getting back in there quick before 30 seconds have passed and he starts that god awful spinning attack sequence again.

Rinse and repeat for second hand.

Just the head left, when Andross recoils, move out of the way as that's usually his bite, when he fires debris at you, stay central, don't move and keep firing, usually after this you'll be able to get enough fired shots into his mouth that he'll then be dazed.

The moment he is dazed, fly across to the other side in the Arwing, in a straight line, boosting all the way, when you know there's land under you, transform back and use the lock on to get his weak point behind in sight, blast it with all you have.

At this point I think he either repeats the spinning attack or repeats his barrage of attacks, so just rinse, repeat and you'll almost be done, there's an extra bit you have to be wary of after you think you've beatean him, you basically have but just be wary.

Good Luck! :)

I think I'm almost done with this. Will never 100% it but do expect I'll occasionally return for arcade mode as with the previous games in the series. While the experience was fun, I completely agree with reviewers stating the game doesn't reward you enough for the effort you have to put in to learn the controls. By the time you feel at least a bit competent with them... it's almost over.

Solid 7/10 though and another nice entry in the Wii U library.

I finally did it yesterday. My advice is to fire bombs at him when he uses his tractor beam.

I got this game on launch and I've managed to beat Andross. So far I have mixed feelings. For the most part, it's what I expected from a new Starfox game. The graphics are quite appealing to look at and I love that there were more all-range mode missions than in SF 64. Also, I'm quite happy that they allow players to disable the motion controls. The gameplay is for the most part really fun. I love that you now can play a single mission, rather than to be forced to play through the whole game all over just to experience your favorite level. The lockon feature, while pretty standard in virtually all modern flight sims, is quite infty and makes the Starwolf fights much less confusing than on the N64.

But then we have the negatives. My main gripe is that the game at times attempts to force the player to use motion controls for absolutely no reason. Most obvious is the "target mode" levels, such as the Andross boss fight. The camera locks on to something, you can't look away, so if you want to shoot something, you HAVE TO look at the screen.

Also, the Gyrowing and walker are a pain in the butt and I can't help but think that the Landmaster would've been so much more fun if the game featured twin stick controls. Or if the turret could automatically rotate in the direction of whatever you're locked on to.

The story and cutscenes are somehow even worse than in SF 64 and some bosses are more a pain than entertaining.

All in all, I think that this game would've had a much more positive reception if it was part of the Wii U launch lineup. In fact, had this been released instead of Wodnerful 101, I think the Wii U itself would've sold way better.

Don't post on here often, but just wanted to come on and share this.

I've put around 12 hours into the game this weekend and it's been an absolute joy. The controls aren't frustrating at all for me, my brain just couldn't think in the right way for the first couple of hours but once it clicked I seemed to be drawn into a state of zen, much more immersed in the game than I usually am. It's so refreshing to have a different way to play.

If you've got a wii u and you don't pick this up and give it the time it deserves it would be a crying shame.

I suspect there is a sizable amount of people who are strongly on the fence with buying this game (like me), with the longevity etc.

IMO its a classic example of a game that would have probably benefitted from an online mode - like most shooting games.

Edited by King_V

Spoilers, geez. Ok, never mind.

Me and @david\.dakota finished this playing in co-op over the weekend so don't have a full experience, I was shooting, he was piloting; it's bloody hard; but I thought it was great; can't wait to play through it in single player and see how the controls are doing everything... I think I'll play through this quite a bit!

One thing though, can you change the controls? Barrel Rolls should be done with shoulder buttons and shoulder buttons only!!

Well I've finally spent a few hours with this so it's first impressions time...

The first thing I noticed with this is how great it looks, it's simple, but very attractive, screen shots don't do this justice at all. It's a really smooth and enjoyable experience and it's really like how you would have imagined the N64 version to look if they had more power back then - it's colourful, lively and sharp and the cast look fantastic.

The game also sounds great and I'm a big fan of the sounds coming out of the pad, it's gives the sound a '3D' feel and all the effects and voices take you straight back to the N64 days.

Which takes me onto the fan service in this game - there's a lot and it feels great! Those who loved Lylat Wars will love this and see so many little nods and added touches that reference the N64 classic.

The levels are also great, with lots of secrets, different paths and medals and rings to find. It's not an easy task and straight away I wanted to replay missions to investigate things I had missed the first time around - in that respect I would say this game has a lot of re-playability.

There's also a lot to master - and this is my first real complaint. I love the on rails sections and the Arwing, but I haven't totally clicked with the walker or the Gyrowing yet. There's a lot of different control styles and picking them all up and having them all feel natural is a lot to take in at first.

This problem is compounded with the control scheme, which I haven't really grasped yet. I'm not saying it is bad - and it's certainly not the mess that some click bait reviews have claimed. However it also doesn't feel like the revolution Nintendo probably hoped it to be. I hope this clicks with me more as I get further into the game.

My philosophy on games is the game play comes first every time - and a game's difficulty should always come from the on screen challenge, not the player wrestling with the control scheme. Whilst Wii Sports made motion controls instantly understandable and accessible and motion controls in games like Sin and Punishment made the rail shooter a much much better experience, I can't say the same yet for the controls in Star Fox Zero. When controls are confusing or counter intuitive it's disappointing.

The second screen also adds to the confusion and although there have been times where looking down for a cock pit view has helped, there are other times this has caused me to lose track of other things going that are happening on the TV.

Overall, my first impressions are mixed. The game looks great, is full of nostalgia and Nintendo charm - and it's basically got the high production values and content you would expect from a Nintendo game, I haven't quite got to grips with the controls. The thing that worries me about that is that if I am struggling (and I like motion controls and have a pretty high skill level with games) I can imagine others are totally baffled.

I really hope when I go back to Star Fox Zero things click more for me, as I really want to love this game - as there is a lot to love about it and it is a great franchise!

I have only played for about 1.5 hours and 5-6 levels, but I think the controls would be a lot better if:

• The walker had a dual analog style strafe mode (and barrel roll was a separate button).
  • The all-range landmaster section did not have tank controls but had Mario 64 style left stick control.

I find the Arwing and the Copter manageable generally.

My ultimate point I guess is that I don't feel the motion controls make the game worse or even that much more difficult to control, but the basic controls underpinning them seem poorly thought through.

I don't really see any advantage in Star Fox Zero playing on Lylat Wars nostalgia and harkening back to the N64 days. It only serves us long-time Nintendo fans who remember a 20 year old game, and I'd imagine even the majority of us/those would rather Nintendo mixed it up more.

Surely tank controls make the most sense for a tank? I mean... it IS a tank ::shrug:

I don't really see any advantage in Star Fox Zero playing on Lylat Wars nostalgia and harkening back to the N64 days. It only serves us long-time Nintendo fans who remember a 20 year old game, and I'd imagine even the majority of us/those would rather Nintendo mixed it up more.

I agree that I'd like to have seen them do more with the story, rather than have it basically just retell Star Fox 64. That being said, they had some nice surprises in there I wasn't expecting...

General Pepper stealing Andross' teleporter and using it against him. Turns out that the Cornerian army are also the bad guys this time around

;)

Also we actually see James McCloud sacrificing himself this time around, instead of just disappearing after Andross is destroyed. Wasn't expecting that :)

Edited by Dcubed

Is *is* a tank, but when you are viewing the tank from the front it makes it quite hard to switch left and right in your mind whilst aiming at a weak point. Its not unreasonable, it would just be better to simplify the controls at that point for a more enjoyable experience.

Andross isn't a spoiler :p

Believe it or not, that was actually part of the review embargo :p

This video kinda sums up most of my thoughts on the game so far:

In short, this game would have been far better without the needlessly complex, unintuitive and forced control scheme.

I prepares myself for this game by replaying Lylat Wars and Star Fox Assault. Lylat Wars is still incredible. Assault is average, spoiled by needless on foot missions that control poorly and are drab and empty compared to the on rails flight sections.

Star Fox Zero is another misstep in the franchise. All we wanted was a proper sequel to Lylat Wars, but we couldn't have that, because Nintendo can't actually do what their customers want them to do.

Whether it is this, Federation Force or that shite Animal Crossing game, I am left wondering if Nintendo actually listen to anything that the gaming public actually say.

At the moment, all I feel about this game is disappointment. Looking at a fucking second screen in a rail shooter, fuck me, what a shit idea.

Nah, Jim's wrong on this one. I'm usually one to thank God for him, but not this time.

He ends up coming across as someone who refuses to accept anything that deviates from the norm or even give it a fair shake... Considering his heavily negative review of Kid Icarus Uprising and his lambasting of that game's controls though? (Not to mention his general views on motion controls as a whole) That comes as no surprise to me :heh:

And no, the controls/dual screen gameplay couldn't have been made optional. Not without completely redesigning the game. It's just like Skyward Sword in that regard.

Edited by Dcubed

I'm enjoying this game far more than I thought I would, and really love getting to grips with the controls of the chicken and airwing, I genuinely think the controls add so much to this game, and I wouldn't be enjoying it anywhere near as much if it used traditional controls, but then I'm a stickler for new control methods, I loved all sorts of stuff on the Wii, even Monkey Ball Step & Roll, and I love the globe spinning controls of Kid Icarus.

Where this game really comes alive is the dog fights though - Man, they're good. I never thought I'd like having to look at two screens, but locking onto an enemy and flying around on the main screen whilst aiming and shooting on the GamePad feels truly awesome.

I noticed a lot in the Wii era that after the Wii Remote wore off, no matter how awesome developers used it, a lot of gamers just wanted a traditional control scheme. I can't help but think the same has happened here. Now that everyone has given up on the GamePad they just want traditional controls but if this was a launch game I think it would have fared better, both the game and the GamePad itself, but I guess that's Nintendo's fault.

Hardest end boss! Really relying on your mastery of the controls to succeed. Was immensely old school and nice to see a tough end boss!

Watching the end I was a bit misty eyed for the N64 version!

For me it wasn't as good as the N64 outing but I figured I was comparing it to my first real love of the series. Then a truth dawned on me: Nintendo will never recapture their glory days when reimagining their previous 'perfect' games. Nothing will beat my first time. No new Mario, Zelda, Fox, Metroid, Smash...

But to a new generation this will be "their" StarFox and they may love it as much as previous entries. A shame then that WiiU has sold so poorly...

For all of its dexterous challenge, I can't wait to jump into co-op mode with my younger nephew and sell him on Fox and co. Thanks again Nintendo.

Now keep on giving us Cranky Kong types new franchises...

Edited by tapedeck