NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

Rule #1 for making fakes: Go low quality. This hides all the blemishes

Rule #2: Go realistic. Going for the huge megaton is not the way to go, but go for something simple, or established, and people believe it.

1. Right, that was my point.

2. True but my point was why make something up that a) won't get people hyped and b) will be disproven within a week.

1. Right, that was my point.

2. True but my point was why make something up that a) won't get people hyped and b) will be disproven within a week.

To see how far it spreads.

Whether it's legit or not, it's actually a cool idea. Making your own levels and sharing them with other people, why not!

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing. Zoom in on Villager, and to an extent Pikachu behind it. Villager picture is clearly a toy, likely the NFC figure. You can see its shiny plasticness and clear cutness. Looks like maybe a Smash Bros logo in the corner too. Which is why it's next to the Mario Maker, as this is probably part of a theme of editing/extra interaction with games section. Remember; NFC AND Smash are for 3DS and Wii U.

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing. Zoom in on Villager, and to an extent Pikachu behind it. Villager picture is clearly a toy, likely the NFC figure. You can see its shiny plasticness and clear cutness. Looks like maybe a Smash Bros logo in the corner too. Which is why it's next to the Mario Maker, as this is probably part of a theme of editing/extra interaction with games section. Remember; NFC AND Smash are for 3DS and Wii U.

shit, dude could have a point!

Are the characters on silver bases?

Edited by Retro_Link

This would be cool but most likely fake and if not... why the original Mario Bros.?

I've thought for the past New Super Mario Bros games now that a level editor should be included. A whole NSMB as a level editing game would be really cool and the art-style would reach out to a wider audience as oppose to appealing more to the retro gamer.

Still a pretty shit fake. I mean c'mon, where's the damn Nintendo On's and stuff?

computer_nintendo_on.jpg

I was so in love with this :P Even if it would have meant literally inserting a disc into my head.

Not sure how it looks like a toy. It's the artwork for Villager from Smash Bros. Hence the Smash Bros logo on the bottom right.

Villager_SSB4.png

Not sure how it looks like a toy. It's the artwork for Villager from Smash Bros. Hence the Smash Bros logo on the bottom right.

Villager_SSB4.png

Yeah he's right. It's just that Villager's drop shadow happens to look a bit like a trophy stand - likewise, the positioning of the Smash logo happens to make it look like Pikachu is on a trophy stand as well.

It's just the standard Smash Bros art though with a Smash Bros logo slapped on for good measure. Nothing special.

You can put me into the crowd who thinks this is / would be awesome.

Would it really be that much fun? Regardless, I don't think Nintendo would ever do something like this anyway. I get the impression making this would be like them shouting from the rooftops that "anyone can make Super Mario levels" when in fact, they can't, not to the same quality as Nintendo at least. I can't see Ninty belittling the work their expert game designers do.

Yeah @Ronnie has a point.

They don't allow us the fun of creating and sharing our own Mario Kart tracks, so I don't really see why this would be any different. And if it is real, well then they've quickly backtracked, and there had better be a track creator in Mario Kart 9!

Yeah, no fan created stage would ever have the level of polish and hidden aspects as a Nintendo made one, at least for Mario Kart. I really don't get why people want it.

I'd be down for this. People underestimate creativity.

Would it really be that much fun? Regardless, I don't think Nintendo would ever do something like this anyway. I get the impression making this would be like them shouting from the rooftops that "anyone can make Super Mario levels" when in fact, they can't, not to the same quality as Nintendo at least. I can't see Ninty belittling the work their expert game designers do.
Don't agree with that at all. :blank:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo are well aware that they've got an incredibly talented and creative fanbase out there (you only need to look at the some of the stuff that gets posted in the Art Academy Miiverse to see one example of this) so the more tools they make available for people to express their creativity, the better I say.

People were also making fantastic mini-games in WarioWare D.I.Y., in fact many of the user created games were just as good as Nintendo's and often much better than the ones which were part of the Big Name Games thing involving professional developers. ;)

I hate the perception user generated content will be vastly inferior to official output by default. So what if it isn't as polished and full of secrets as the real stuff? What if the user generated content is... I dunno... fun?

People of all ages have a blast creating their own levels, tracks and game modes. This community involvement lends potentially limitless value to a game and will sometimes even keep it going a long time after the standard content has gotten stale and boring.

Wasn't Griffball in Halo initially conceived in Forge Mode? It made it in as an official playlist due to popularity a while back and remains as one today.

Project M is another game that is full of modded/user generated content and many Smash fans would argue it is infinitely superior to Brawl.

If you people think Mario Kart should have more UGC, grab Modnation Racers on PS3. Great game that shows what a community with creativity can do. Is some of it rubbish? Sure, maybe, but people put a lot of effort into their karts, characters and courses and it shows.

I hope Mario Maker isn't fake. I want it now. Mostly so I can easily make Mario levels, but maybe also because it might just prove a bunch of people wrong.

Edited by Guy
Fixed some stuff.

At closer view, both Villager and Pikachu seem to be cut off just before the feet by the silver disks. I think that's sloppy for both NFC/Smash, so I'm leaning to fake now.

For the Mario Maker to work for me though, I'd have to include makers from Mario 1, 2, 3, World, 64, NEW at least, to be worth bothering with. A maker for the original just seems way uninteresting.

Yeah, no fan created stage would ever have the level of polish and hidden aspects as a Nintendo made one, at least for Mario Kart. I really don't get why people want it.

You can't unequivocally state that.

Providing the tools supplied were effective, some people out there will make great content. Sure, a lot will be crap but think of all the actual game designers, level makers and other creatives that will use this.

I'd wager that statistically, there are more people in the world with potential to make great content than working at Nintendo on Mario Kart. The barriers to entry are too high (location, language etc) for it to not be distinctively possible.

Please stop undermining the ability of everyone outside of Nintendo.

You can't unequivocally state that.

Providing the tools supplied were effective, some people out there will make great content. Sure, a lot will be crap but think of all the actual game designers, level makers and other creatives that will use this.

I'd wager that statistically, there are more people in the world with potential to make great content than working at Nintendo on Mario Kart. The barriers to entry are too high (location, language etc) for it to not be distinctively possible.

Please stop undermining the ability of everyone outside of Nintendo.

Ok, I'll take it back, but the vast majority are nowhere near that talented.

Yes but again, that's statistically obvious. Most people in the world haven't the training and experience that Nintendo has.

Giving people the option and ability to create something is wonderful. I don't see why anyone would want to hinder that or belittle their ability. If that kind of thinking was applied to other creative endeavours (photography, music, filmmaking etc) we'd end up with a toxically dreary creative scene.

If there are only 8 people who can make a good track, then that's 25% of a whole Mario Kart game if they each only make one.

Not to mention that people can also create retro courses and adapt some from other games or real life (Silverstone would be done fairly quickly).

I wasn't saying I don't want it, quite the contrary!

I was simply pointing out Nintendo's views on user generated content with Mario Kart (which I think is such an outdated stance to take), and why it would be any different for Mario Bros.

My point was more that Nintendo isn't going to devalue their current and future Mario games by opening up this can of worms. NOT that people won't be able to make decent levels. Having said that drawing a picture on Miiverse is a little different to creating well designed levels.

My point was more that Nintendo isn't going to devalue their current and future Mario games by opening up this can of worms. NOT that people won't be able to make decent levels. Having said that drawing a picture on Miiverse is a little different to creating well designed levels.
The way it works on LittleBigPlanet I believe is that people rate the levels as they play them anyway, so you can easily find the best levels.

If it is in the retro style that the picture seems to indicate, how would it devalue their future titles, which presumably won't be in the retro style? Furthermore, Nintendo could (and should!) add new elements that wouldn't be in this game.

I can see where you're coming from, but that didn't stop them from making Warioware DIY or the Mario VS DK games (which were all about user generated levels).

It's not something they haven't dabbled in before...