NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

What about the Mario series Mario amiibo? Can't that be used in Smash, along with Peach, Bowser, etc? Who says it needs to be part of the Smash series?

Utterly deserved though. Shovel Knight is one of the finest indie titles I've ever played. Right up there with Cave Story!

This excites me for 3 different reasons.

1. It's a Shovel Knight amiibo and it looks good enough to be my 4th.

2. It definitely adds weight to the Shovel Knight in Smash rumour.

3. The probability of a Yooka-Laylee amiibo has just skyrocketed (Playtonic have said they wold love to make one) and any chameleon amiibo is an automatic insta-buy for me. (Guess why)

What about the Mario series Mario amiibo? Can't that be used in Smash, along with Peach, Bowser, etc? Who says it needs to be part of the Smash series?

They were all Smash Amiibo first. I don't really see a rather new unknown multiplatform 3rd party character who currently hasn't made it to Japan getting into Smash at all.

Edit: At most, it will be a Mii Costume.

Edited by Cube

Ahh, good point. The Mario series Amiibo do indeed work in Smash...

They were all Smash Amiibo first. I don't really see a rather new unknown multiplatform 3rd party character who currently hasn't made it to Japan getting into Smash at all.

Shovel Knight's Smash Bros DLC might not be coming out for a while yet, if it is happening. Perhaps his Amiibo functionality is coming to Shovel Knight first and YCG requested their own branding to be put on the box (considering that he's gonna have future functionality in their upcoming games, it does kind of make sense for YCG to have that kind of control over the branding).

Utterly deserved though. Shovel Knight is one of the finest indie titles I've ever played. Right up there with Cave Story!

This excites me for 3 different reasons.

1. It's a Shovel Knight amiibo and it looks good enough to be my 4th.

2. It definitely adds weight to the Shovel Knight in Smash rumour.

3. The probability of a Yooka-Laylee amiibo has just skyrocketed (Playtonic have said they wold love to make one) and any chameleon amiibo is an automatic insta-buy for me. (Guess why)

Yeah, the floodgates are open for sure now. Yooka-Laylee is all but assured at this point. Shantae probably has a pretty decent chance too (and if Pixel went on to make Cave Story 2 like he's been hinting at wanting to do, I wouldn't count out a Quote Amiibo either)

But still. No. Really. Shovel Knight is getting an Amiibo before the likes of Bayonetta, Bomberman, Simon Belmont etc. Let that sink in for a moment... What an honour! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Am I the only one who thinkgs the supposed, actual Shovel Knight amiibo itself looks a little disappointing? Could have picked a better pose. Even though I don't think it's legit. Something about the packaging seems off...

Also, while unlikely, that box art could be a placeholder.

Long shot, but you never know...

Am I the only one who thinkgs the supposed, actual Shovel Knight amiibo itself looks a little disappointing? Could have picked a better pose. Even though I don't think it's legit. Something about the packaging seems off...

Normally, I'd agree. But that tweet got deleted pretty damn quickly.

And whenever that happens, it almost always means it's legit.

EDIT: The only way this news could get any better is if it somehow let you play as Shovel Knight in Hyrule Warriors.

Shovel is an item from the Zelda series that never showed up in that game.

Why do I do this to myself? Now I'm only gonna be disappointed...

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

EDIT: The only way this news could get any better is if it somehow let you play as Shovel Knight in Hyrule Warriors.

Shovel is an item from the Zelda series that never showed up in that game.

Why do I do this to myself? Now I'm only gonna be disappointed...

I hate you for giving me that idea, now I'm bound to be disappointed too!

The Shovel Knight Amiibo is now up for preorder on Game's site! (I just preordered one, so they should still be available)

Oh wait, that's the real reveal trailer? I saw it earlier but turned it off onceI saw the Game Grumps thinking it was some sort of parody.

Oh wait, that's the real reveal trailer? I saw it earlier but turned it off onceI saw the Game Grumps thinking it was some sort of parody.

I think Game Grumps know the guys from Yacht Club or something.

Also, can't wait for peoples responses to the Amiibo unlocking co-op.

Also, can't wait for peoples responses to the Amiibo unlocking co-op.

Yes, this is probably the worst example of Amiibo features so far.

Yeah the splatoon ones are a bit irritating but this has potential to be more so, although tbh even if they gave me multiplayer I don't see myself using it, I don't really have the friends who would play along with me. Although perhaps my nephew would enjoy the game a bit more if he had my assistance!

Edited by Pestneb

Out of curiosity Disney I finish has always required you to buy a figure to play co op (and three figures to play the co op in all games in the starter disk, how come no fuss has been kicked up about that?

I do think it's ridiculous though. The extra missions and such fair enough, but co op? Crazy.

I am interested to see if the game sells more after the amiibo though.

I think the lack of fuss about the Disney ones is due to them being games entirely focused on the figures

Just read an interesting article about the Skylanders amiibo on theHDRoom.com. Apparently one of the early designs included a warrior Princess Peach character complete with sword! Sadly Nintendo ruled that out, along with all the Mario "hero" characters, and also Kirby (HAL) and Starfox (conflict with their own release plans). The article also speculates on the possibility of a future Diddy Kong Skylander, which made me wonder if we will see any more Skylander amiibo in the future and if so who?

I ordered stuff from Argos last week and received a £10 voucher to use on my next order so I decided to treat myself to a Shulk Amiibo :grin:

What's odd is that apparently Miyamoto rejected their initial pitch for what the amiibo did. Makes me wonder what the hell did they suggest??

What's odd is that apparently Miyamoto rejected their initial pitch for what the amiibo did. Makes me wonder what the hell did they suggest??

I'm guessing none of the poor taste stuff it does now?

Just read an interesting article about the Skylanders amiibo on theHDRoom.com. Apparently one of the early designs included a warrior Princess Peach character complete with sword! Sadly Nintendo ruled that out, along with all the Mario "hero" characters, and also Kirby (HAL) and Starfox (conflict with their own release plans). The article also speculates on the possibility of a future Diddy Kong Skylander, which made me wonder if we will see any more Skylander amiibo in the future and if so who?

Skylanders Trap Team had a set of "Mini" Skylanders, which were cuter, smaller (and cheaper) versions of some of the larger ones. I'd love to see them make Mini versions of Hammer Slam Bowser and Turbo Charge Donkey Kong for next year's Skylanders games - obviously in the form of Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong. :D

I'm guessing none of the poor taste stuff it does now?

Well Nintendo doesn't really push for that level of content lockout with amiibo, so it must have been worse.

Sure they do, they locked gameplay out with Splatoon. Maybe they were the ones who wanted Shovel Knight amiibo to have more meaningful stuff locked behind it? We'll never know, but they have precedent.

And we for sure know Nintendo ok'd this decision. They're compliant with it at the very least.

Sure they do, they locked gameplay out with Splatoon.

Isn't that what every other non-Nintendo AAA game does these days? Pre-order bonuses, day one DLC, costumes, extra weapons, special editions with bonus content. All locked on the disk for a few extra £££.

I think we can cut Nintendo a break, for once.

Isn't that what every other non-Nintendo AAA game does these days? Pre-order bonuses, day one DLC, costumes, extra weapons, special editions with bonus content. All locked on the disk for a few extra £££.

I think we can cut Nintendo a break, for once.

Doesn't make it OK. And isn't this more Yacht Clubs fault anyway? Why are you blaming Ninty for Shovel Knight stuff?

But you know, it's not like they're giving away an ENTIRE game's worth of content away for free or anything. Let's just focus on the local co-op mode that the majority of users here wouldn't actually touch anyway.