NEurope
Ike

The Super Mario 3D World thread

Telling someone what they mean and what games they should like?...

I mean I'm as bored at the complete lack of games and discussion to be had around the Wii U as the rest of you, but I don't think we need to go here.

Edited by Retro_Link

I love Super Mario World, I love Mario 64, I love Yoshi's Island, I love Rayman Origins, I love Rayman Legends, I love Guacamelee, I love Super Meat Boy, I love CaveStory, I love Aladdin, I love the Donkey Kong SNES Games. :indeed:

Maybe you should just accept that there are people who didn't enjoy 3D World and not try to devalue their opinion just by taking apart every sentence they said.

Quite clearly platformers are not for you. Now I've warned you before, get back in line and follow the crowd! Stop using that brain of yours and having 'opinions', that's dangerous stuff!

I can empathise though, I've had little desire to try this game by myself, so I think I'm still knocking about world 1/2 until I organise my life and people to come round and play with me. Did you do any multiplayer at all?

Did you do any multiplayer at all?

Yup, for 50% of the playthrough. With a mate and his girlfriend. They shared my view on the game. :D We weren't enjoying it as much as they hoped.

It was fun fucking each other up, though :p

Yup, for 50% of the playthrough. With a mate and his girlfriend. They shared my view on the game. :D We weren't enjoying it as much as they hoped.

It was fun fucking each other up, though :p

Ahhh, yeah that's what I/we found a bit funny when we played. The crown was a nice touch, and that dinosaur river level early on where you need to be a bit co-ordinated(couple playthroughs were had for the stars and potential secrets etc) - I felt like going back for a day or two after, but quickly just thought I'd wait and have folks round again yet never have. Though a caveat should be given that I did get hooked on reading A Song of Ice and Fire(Game of thrones) since then.

I think I enjoyed it a bit more than you seemed to @drahkon but I totally get what you are saying. I just found it to be a sound and fun-ish Mario game, but still just another Mario game and I guess at some point that just stopped being enough for me. I do still need to get @Goafer over at some point to try out the multiplayer but as I havent liked the frantic nature of Mario multiplayer before I doubt I'll like it this time.

I've almost forgotten that this game exists. I enjoyed most of what I played, but it's not a god-tier Mario game. Some of the reviews about this game remind me of some of the ridiculous reviews that went out about New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's definitely not up there with the likes of Galaxy, Super Mario 64, but it is better than ALL of the New series. I'd say that it's a step below the ultimate Mario games.

Didn't try multiplayer. Not sure if I will, I don't really do couch multiplayer these days. The graphics on this game are really nice though and everything looks wonderful.

I think I enjoyed it a bit more than you seemed to @drahkon but I totally get what you are saying. I just found it to be a sound and fun-ish Mario game, but still just another Mario game and I guess at some point that just stopped being enough for me. I do still need to get @Goafer over at some point to try out the multiplayer but as I havent liked the frantic nature of Mario multiplayer before I doubt I'll like it this time.

I've only done a teensy bit of 2P(random stages at a mate's before I had the game) and a bit more of 3P(on my own copy) - I didn't mind NSMBWii the couple times I played it with peeps but it was a bit on the limits of frantic at times(espesh with a bit of liquor in me) - SM3DW I can certainly see getting a bit too much so, I think even on 3P I had a couple 'wait what' sort of moments.

I think one of the biggest problems is staleness of the genre. Maybe the franchise fatigue or I dunno. Gaming feels like less and less new experiences(understandable too, tech leaps aren't as noticeable, greater saturation of products) so I think it feeds in to things like this. If I hadn't had SM3DLand this might have felt a bit more notable - maybe it was for those that hadn't, but I really need regular and easy multi to get this going for me.

I've almost forgotten that this game exists. I enjoyed most of what I played, but it's not a god-tier Mario game. Some of the reviews about this game remind me of some of the ridiculous reviews that went out about New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's definitely not up there with the likes of Galaxy, Super Mario 64, but it is better than ALL of the New series. I'd say that it's a step below the ultimate Mario games.

Didn't try multiplayer. Not sure if I will, I don't really do couch multiplayer these days. The graphics on this game are really nice though and everything looks wonderful.

Most of what you played? I'd be curious how much that was and why it wasn't more, if there's any particular reasons.

Though one thing that highlights the difference of opinion, I do like Galaxy but I don't even quite rate it as much as it seems to be. I got a lot out of it but I felt similarly indifferent to it by the end, just going through the motions for me.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Most of what you played? I'd be curious how much that was and why it wasn't more, if there's any particular reasons.

Though one thing that highlights the difference of opinion, I do like Galaxy but I don't even quite rate it as much as it seems to be. I got a lot out of it but I felt similarly indifferent to it by the end, just going through the motions for me.

I didn't get to the end of the game. Not because the game was hard or owt, I just stopped playing. It was around about the time that I started to get bored with Nintendo and I just didn't feel much of an incentive to keep playing.

Well. I enjoyed it. ::shrug: Thought it was sublime, actually.

You and the vast majority of people :)

Well. I enjoyed it. ::shrug: Thought it was sublime, actually.

I didn't think it was sublime but I really enjoyed it. The post game levels were absolutely fantastic and offered a real challenge.

Then again, I enjoy the NSMB games as well, so what do I know? :p

Sublime is definitely a word I'd use for it. It's the only Wii U title I'd use it for so far, but it's all personal preference at the end of the day! : peace:

It was just the way the ame through new things at you all the time. The green star sub levels, the captian toad levels, the levels where all you can see is the characters shadows, the cherry item - having about 8 of you on screen at one time :D - completely and utterly delicious. For me, there was absolutely nothing stale about the game what so ever. It wsa bursting with new ideas and experiences. The same can't be said for NSMB of course, but like you HoT, I also enjoy those games too! :)

I didn't think it was sublime but I really enjoyed it. The post game levels were absolutely fantastic and offered a real challenge.

Then again, I enjoy the NSMB games as well, so what do I know? :p

You clearly know a lot, because NSMB Wii is the best 2D Mario game ever made (and I've played them all!)

Miyamoto was directly involved in the level designs in that game in particular and it shows, it really really does!

Nobody gives it the credit it deserves, because it achieves an absolutely incredible amount throughout its level designs. A game that's just as fun in 4 player as it is in single player is an enormous achievement! (and it's something that I don't think that SM3DW quite managed personally - though the 4 player is very fun, it is also very messy and doesn't mesh in quite the same was as NSMB Wii or even NSMB U does)

NSMB 2 is also very underrated and despite outward appearances, it has a very unique feel to its level designs too - very much meandering and slower paced; and that's not a bad thing at all (its levels encourage exploration and more calculated jumps than the other 2D Marios, rather than the focus on sprinting to the goal). It's actually a pretty daring game when you look closely at how the levels have been constructed and definitely one of my favourite 2D Marios :) (The 2 player mode is also pretty unique as you fight over who gets to be the "leader" in control of the camera and yet you also co-operate to earn the most amount of coins possible as you both earn the total coin count that you both collectively earn in each level).

And while NSMBU is clearly based on the foundation laid by NSMB Wii, it sort of straddles a slightly uncomfortable line between a marathon and a sprint. While it's still a really fun romp, it lacks the focus that NSMB Wii and NSMB 2 had respectively and comes across as a bit confused. I suppose all the extra modes like Boost Rush and Challenge Mode sort of showcase that as well - NSMBU doesn't quite know what it wants to be and so, pretty much took the Everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach. No doubt that's why they wanted to take a clearly focused approach with NSLU and that focus works spectacularly well! (it's a much better game than NSMBU is because of it! :D ). I love the short form gameplay in that game!

It's a shame that so many people dismiss the NSMB series outright and 99% of the time it's because they all share the same broad art style and because of the way they were soured by the mediocre first entry in the series on DS (which is by far the weakest mainline Mario game ever made).

Edited by Dcubed

Good post @Dcubed. Would read again. :D

I find the whole series very enjoyable, with NSLB being one of my favourites. The only thing I find lacking in the series is the music.

For me it's a case of doing something well and then just continuing to do it again, with a few tweaks here and there. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel everytime you make a game.

Good post @Dcubed. Would read again. :D

I find the whole series very enjoyable, with NSLB being one of my favourites. The only thing I find lacking in the series is the music.

For me it's a case of doing something well and then just continuing to do it again, with a few tweaks here and there. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel everytime you make a game.

True, but with this series they did actually innovate a lot more than most people give it credit for. Whether it be new level and stage gimmicks (particularily with NSMB Wii) or new ways of handling pacing and philosophies behind level design (particularily with NSMB 2 and NSLU) or even wholely new and original ways of handling game design in general that can be applied to any other game (NSMB Wii's introduction of the Super Guide - something originally designed for Zelda that became a staple of almost all of Nintendo's subsequent games - and bubble/carry system for multiplayer are perhaps the most obvious examples).

Monster Hunter and (to a lesser extent) the Mega Man series are not that dissimilar in that respect actually. On the surface they all look the same, but when you look past that, you can see that they all bring something new to the table with each entry - be it the underwater swimming and better tutorial/difficulty curve design of MH3 or the verticality, jumping/climbing action and wide open level design of MH4.

Unfortunately, many people are quick to judge based on surface detail and no further :(

The problem I find is that each one does not bring enough new to the table to be worth playing every single one. Since the storyline in Mario games is generally little more than a footnote (as opposed to something like Phoenix Wright which can make you want to buy the games to follow the story/dialogue) it's basically an entirely gameplay-motivated experience. Like Pokemon, changing too little leaves me very bored as I'm basically doing the same things I did before, with far too little variation in recurring themes and gameplay elements between the games.

Something like Demon's and Dark Souls got it right, I'd say. 3 games around the same theme in which there wasn't too much of an in-your-face story (although still a story, just you had to piece it together), at which point they'd basically be outstaying their welcome so have gone with Bloodborne. Which so far seems to be incorporating the good stuff of Demon's but still looks substantially different.

Edited by Sheikah

Mario 3d world is the best game I've played since galaxy. More imagination and creativity in that game, then anything else I can think of. Love it.

I'm sure drakhon playing all these Wii u games just so he can slag them off :)

I'm sure drakhon playing all these Wii u games just so he can slag them off :)

Actually, I'm playing all the games because I own a Wii U now and want to give them a chance.

I don't enjoy them, that's all there is. You'd know if I "slagged them off". :indeed:

So, after New Super Mario Bros U, it's time for Super Mario 3D World. First impressions:

I enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land so don't fundamentally have a problem with the idea of this game. I have to say, though, that 3D World simply does not give me the feeling of entering another world that I got from 64 and Sunshine. What surprised me the most, however, is that the stages are considerably harder to view in their entirety than 3D Land's. I keep catching glimpses of ledges that the camera won't let me see properly. To think we've gone from the dual-analogue, twin stick control of Sunshine to this is a bit disheartening. Is that really progress?

The Plessie levels are great, and I can see them getting much harder. This was the first moment that made me feel I was playing a genuine 3D Mario. To me, the into-the-screen moments have always been the best parts of 3D Mario game, such as the slides from 64/Galaxy 2, the Blooper racing from Sunshine and the manta ray from Galaxy. The music was instantly recognisable, although it took me few listens to remember it was the Mario 64 slide music!

My least favourite levels are the Captain Toad ones as they're all about looking at an isometric level from different angles - you can concentrate on this so much, you forget where Captain Toad is. Also, blowing on the GamePad? I thought we'd left that behind with the DS!

I finished my session with the first castle. The Bowser fight is classic EAD Tokyo, in that it sets out how it works, but will get more and more complex throughout the game.

Overall, I found Super Mario 3D World very easy to get into and although I do have some reservations about the game, I can't see anything that'll stop me enjoying it.

So, after New Super Mario Bros U, it's time for Super Mario 3D World. First impressions:

I enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land so don't fundamentally have a problem with the idea of this game. I have to say, though, that 3D World simply does not give me the feeling of entering another world that I got from 64 and Sunshine. What surprised me the most, however, is that the stages are considerably harder to view in their entirety than 3D Land's. I keep catching glimpses of ledges that the camera won't let me see properly. To think we've gone from the dual-analogue, twin stick control of Sunshine to this is a bit disheartening. Is that really progress?

The Plessie levels are great, and I can see them getting much harder. This was the first moment that made me feel I was playing a genuine 3D Mario. To me, the into-the-screen moments have always been the best parts of 3D Mario game, such as the slides from 64/Galaxy 2, the Blooper racing from Sunshine and the manta ray from Galaxy. The music was instantly recognisable, although it took me few listens to remember it was the Mario 64 slide music!

My least favourite levels are the Captain Toad ones as they're all about looking at an isometric level from different angles - you can concentrate on this so much, you forget where Captain Toad is. Also, blowing on the GamePad? I thought we'd left that behind with the DS!

I finished my session with the first castle. The Bowser fight is classic EAD Tokyo, in that it sets out how it works, but will get more and more complex throughout the game.

Overall, I found Super Mario 3D World very easy to get into and although I do have some reservations about the game, I can't see anything that'll stop me enjoying it.

Super Mario 3D World is a slow starter and I found the first few levels to be somewhat disappointing.. but it makes sense to cater for those unfamiliar with Mario games :smile:

It's a great game that I'm sure you will very much enjoy, even if it probably doesn't quite attain 'classic' status :heh:

So, getting back into this after being distracted by the February releases.

I think Super Mario 3D World is more fun if you blast through it, rather than worry about collecting everything first time round. The most fun bits, arguably, are the quick challenges that you can swiftly re-attempt if you fail.

World 5 is my favourite so far, with some gorgeous beach scenes and (in particular) the Savannah level, which provides a wide open expanse - very different to the isometric platforms of much of the game. The graphics in this are absolutely incredible - by far the best I've ever seen, with depth of field effects and fantastic textures around every corner. Just shows what the Wii U can do.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

For an 8/10 game it sure is amazing. So much fun, the perfect platforming experience IMO, more so than even Galaxy.

Not that I like scoring systems but this was no masterpiece, I completely agree with Ashley's review. The world structure was a far cry from the greatness of Mario 64's hub world and ultimately this game felt very safe, what with sticking to a tried and tested Mario Bros map and boss fighting format. It didn't seem to be innovating in the ways Galaxy or even Sunshine had; I'm sure making it somewhat like Mario Bros is bound to resonate with people who buy those games in crazy numbers, but it does not make for a particularly exciting game. What made it worse was that the level structure felt like a regression to somewhere between 2D and 3D titles of old.

That said, it's a very polished game and not like anything produced by anyone else. It's definitely a fun game but not nearly as exciting as Galaxy was.

Edited by Sheikah

"Negatives: the world map wasn't a hub world." How about the actual gameplay? Platforming perfection, like only Nintendo can pull off. So much variety in each and every level.

Not that it really matters anymore, as it is one person's opinion, but Ashley reviewed 3D World based on what it wasn't, not what it was, and IMO that's not the way to go about reviewing games.

Since the game's unveiling early this year some have argued that its not really a 3D title, while others say it is, it's just not Galaxy 3 that some people wanted. Playing the game probably won't change your pre-existing opinion a great deal as truth be told its not one or the other, it just sits somewhere inbetween. For better or worse, this is a blending of both 3D and 2D Mario. It is simple to finish (and more difficult to complete), levels are bite-sized and bound to entertain families this Christmas. There's no harm in that, unless you were expecting something radically different.

In spite of its fun and a smattering of new ideas, 3D World still felt like another in a chain of similar titles to myself. Is a solid enjoyable game, but I'm really hoping that the next Mario title is a fresh new experience, for the sake of both the franchise and gamers. Super Mario Galaxy was beloved because it provided a fairly radical departure while making good use of the new technology at hand. Hopefully Nintendo can recapture that again, although not necessarily in the shape of 'Mario Galaxy 3'.

Basically "it's halfway between 2D and 3D" and "It's not Galaxy 3, so if you're fine with that, cool". 8/10. Games should be judged on their own merits.