NEurope
Ike

The Super Mario 3D World thread

"Negatives: the world map wasn't a hub world." How about the actual gameplay? Platforming perfection, like only Nintendo can pull off. So much variety in each and every level.

The platforming was basically similar to what had gone before, but worse because of the scale and design of the levels. Most of the levels were small in scope, with a lot of semi-fixed "2.5D" or "quasi-3D" sections that made the game often feel stuck somewhere between home console and handheld outings.

If you were to compare it to Mario 64, which I don't think I'd be wrong in saying is idolised by many gamers for its ambition and scope of levels, NSM3DW was very far from this, and I was somewhat disappointed. They have the potential to deliver something far tastier than what they did.

The platforming was basically similar to what had gone before, but worse because of the scale and design of the levels. Most of the levels were small in scope, with a lot of semi-fixed "2.5D" or "quasi-3D" sections that made the game often feel stuck somewhere between home console and handheld outings.

If you were to compare it to Mario 64, which I don't think I'd be wrong in saying is idolised by many gamers for its ambition and scope of levels, NSM3DW was very far from this, and I was somewhat disappointed. They have the potential to deliver something far tastier than what they did.

Wow all of those negatives and still a GOTY contender and 93% on metacritic. "2.5D" and "similar to what came before", there are worse crimes.

Not that it really matters anymore, as it is one person's opinion, but Ashley reviewed 3D World based on what it wasn't, not what it was, and IMO that's not the way to go about reviewing games.

I literally have no clue what point you are making here. Review games on what they are, not what they aren't?

What if the things they aren't are things that would have made them a masterpiece, as opposed to being a very good technically accomplished yet safe play?

Oh, Ronnie.

I literally have no clue what point you are making here. Review games on what they are, not what they aren't?

What if the things they aren't are things that would have made them a masterpiece, as opposed to being a very good technically accomplished yet safe play?

Oh, Ronnie.

Mario 3D World... it's not the next iteration of Galaxy... 8/10. I don't think that's the right way of going about it. Judge the game on its own merits. It's like saying "A Link Between Worlds could have been a Majora's Mask fully 3D sequel, but isn't, so 8/10".

Wow all of those negatives and still a GOTY contender and 93% on metacritic. "2.5D" and "similar to what came before", there are worse crimes.

All this does is shows how much of a farce metacritic is and why you should never use it to drive home your agenda. Your most delectable hate campaign versus the 'grey mainstream' argues my point nicely. GTA IV - do you think this is a masterpiece, out of interest? It's currently sitting at a Metacritic of 98. So it must be more revolutionary than Mario, ja?

I've already ceded, NSM3DW is a very technically accomplished game, but in my opinion it's no masterpiece. I agree with Ashley's criticisms and praise of the game. S'all my point ever was.

All this does is shows how much of a farce metacritic is

Not really. It shows that the vast majority adored the game. With a grand total of 2 reviews out of 90+ giving it an 8/10.

and why you should never use it to drive home your agenda. Your most delectable hate campaign versus the 'grey mainstream' argues my point nicely. GTA IV - do you think this is a masterpiece, out of interest? It's currently sitting at a Metacritic of 98. So it must be more revolutionary than Mario, ja?.

You still fail to grasp that I never argued against the QUALITY of the grey mainstream, I haven't played most of them, so I'm in no position to judge that. My issue is with the same styles, genres and conventions being recycled over and over within the AAA landscape.

I am actually flabbergasted that you just admitted you're in no position to judge the quality of those games, despite having done so on a number of occasions!

I am actually flabbergasted that you just admitted you're in no position to judge the quality of those games, despite having done so on a number of occasions!

No. As I said, all I've been arguing against has been the repetitive and iterative nature of AAA games. Shooters and action games, no variety, buggy and/or broken. Not once did I ever say "that game is s**t".

So accusing games of repeating the same types of gameplay and presentation as opposed to offering fresh and exciting gameplay is not to downplay the quality of said games? Who'd have known?

I wonder, shouldn't not having played those games preclude you from forming most of those opinions, too?

So accusing games of repeating the same types of gameplay and presentation as opposed to offering fresh and exciting gameplay and mechanics is not to downplay the quality of said games? Who'd have known?

No it isn't.

I wonder, shouldn't not having played those games preclude you from forming most of those opinions, too?

And no it shouldn't. It's there for all to see.

Oh don't worry, your ignorance about pretty much any non Nintendo console game has always been there for all to see.

This offers a good account of the unassuming brilliance of this game's design:

What a great video, and fully shows off the imagination and genius of this game. The comparison to Mario Galaxy's more chaotic design was a bit of an eye opener!

That's an excellent video :smile:

I've always appreciated when games teach you a new concept without the need for reading text or having to participate in a tutorial!

Sometimes there's nothing worse than having your experience constantly interrupted by being given specific instructions on how to do something..

Edited by nekunando

This video is brilliant. The platforming in SM3DW were amazing - as good as anything in Galaxy. It was just another amazing high point in Mario's incredible history!

"a game that is bursting at the seams with ideas" sums it up. Every level like its own little fantasy world, what a gem of a game.

3D World is the first 3D Mario game that I'm just not that interested in buying though, so it can't be doing everything right. I just don't really like the vibe it gives off. I'm quite interested in it for multiplayer, but that's about it.

3D World is the first 3D Mario game that I'm just not that interested in buying though, so it can't be doing everything right. I just don't really like the vibe it gives off.

Probably down to preconceptions. Those who've actually played it love it.

I don't love it.

It was a good game, nothing more than that for me. Until Nintendo can do something more akin to Super Mario 64 again then I'm not sure I'll be buying any more Mario games.

I don't love it.

It was a good game, nothing more than that for me. Until Nintendo can do something more akin to Super Mario 64 again then I'm not sure I'll be buying any more Mario games.

Pretty much the same for me. I enjoyed it as I was playing it but nothing more really.

Finished the first eight worlds. Ended up really enjoying it, with so many moments making me want to tip my hat to the developers.

As amazing as 64 and Sunshine were at the time, I feel they were much more obscure - you could be wandering around for ages wondering what to do. It was incredibly immersive, but was it really Mario? And so many of the stages were relatively simple "play sets", with navigation of them quite slow and plodding.

Then there is the Wii duo - Galaxy and Galaxy 2. These were good, but in all honesty I didn't love them as much as others seemed to. Though brilliant at times, and extremely creative, they could also be clumsy.

Which brings me to Nintendo's modern take on Mario - 3D Land and 3D World. I feel these are underrated, quite honestly. First thing I should say is that I understand both sides of the argument - I was there at the time with this older stuff and understand how important it was. I was also quite confused and underwhelmed when 3D World was first unveiled at E3.

But that's the thing.

Super Mario 3D World is presented in a simple, accessible way (the fact they've managed to create a 4-player 3D Mario is astounding enough), but behind it all is a fully 3D game. As you'd expect, the Wii U is doing stuff that the N64 could never dream of. Super Mario 3D World regularly flings you up mountains and through courses that stretch miles into the distance, but because it's so fast, fluid and seamless, it doesn't have the same impact as slowly exploring Cool, Cool Mountain. This game is more about making sure things are thrilling and easily understood.

I'm not trying to diminish the achievements of the past, but just pointing out how skilled EAD Tokyo are at making grand, complex things look so effortless. Anyway, it was a great game and I'm glad to have played it.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

This bit was absolute genius. I had such a massive grin.

You planning on playing through the post game stuff @Grazza? That's where things really get....interesting....:D

Tried out the first one (Rainbow Run?) and thought it was a bit hard. :laughing: Might collect all the Star Coins before that though.

Yeah, no. I thought it was... okay.

Why do you need to hold a button to run? Analogue sticks removed that back on the N64 so why regress? No I don't own the game, don't like the iometric, fixed camera. I'm still waiting for a successor to Galaxy, not necessarily Galaxy but the next evolution. It'll have to be next generation as Nintendo as good as said it's done until then because they needed a new "role" for a Mario game but didn't mind rehashing 3D Land which has basically been the Wii U's story.

“I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game.” - Miyamoto

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/22/nintendo-games-console-mario-shigeru-miyamoto