NEurope
Ike

The Super Mario 3D World thread

I prefer the way you have to hold a button to run, much more precise that way and that's what Mario platforming is about, precise controls.

As usual you pass judgment on a game's quality without owning it. Your loss if you want to miss out on a GOTY contender just because of stubbornness and to make a silly point to yourself.

Is usual you pass judgment on a game's quality without owning it. Your loss if you want to miss out on a GOTY contender just because of stubbornness and to make a silly point to yourself.

You realise you do this all the time with the other consoles games right?

You realise you do this all the time with the other consoles games right?

No I never pass judgement on a game's QUALITY, just the fact that they're all similar experiences, which even Sheikah acknowledged. I haven't played the PS4 games I'm no in position to judge whether they're good or not, but I can judge that after shooter number 182 or gritty action game number 73 AAA gaming is a bit repetitive. It would be stupid to pass judgement on games you haven't played, which is what @Wii does all the time.

I played the demo of it in Smyths and didn't like it. And the extra speed boost would kick in on an analogue stick. I didn't find holding the button any better, it's adding something completely unnecessary. I have wondered if we've got 3D Land to thankblame for this because 3D World used its mechanics and the circle pad lacks the accuracy, range and sensitivity of an analogue stick, so that's why it carried over.

No I never pass judgement on a game's QUALITY, just the fact that they're all similar experiences, which even Sheikah acknowledged. I haven't played the PS4 games I'm no in position to judge whether they're good or not, but I can judge that after shooter number 182 or gritty action game number 73 AAA gaming is a bit repetitive. It would be stupid to pass judgement on games you haven't played, which is what @Wii does all the time.

To be honest I do think what you do is just as bad. Its like me judging all platformers just because there is a lot of them, despite the fact that they could be widely different. You cant know they are all similar experiences without playing them and I expect @Sheikah would agree.

I played the demo of it in Smyths and didn't like it. And the extra speed boost would kick in on an analogue stick. I didn't find holding the button any better, it's adding something completely unnecessary. I have wondered if we've got 3D Land to thankblame for this because 3D World used its mechanics and the circle pad lacks the accuracy, range and sensitivity of an analogue stick, so that's why it carried over.

The controls are more precise when you have to hold a button to run, rather than some arbitrary tilting of the analog stick.

You didn't like the 3 minute demo because you went in with stubborn preconceptions. 3D Land got critical acclaim and 3D World got even higher critical acclaim. No one to blame in either case, they're both fantastic games and were received as such.

I made a point of playing it after a previous discussion in another thread a couple of months ago and as I said back then, I never said it's a bad game, I just don't like it.

I never said it's a bad game, I just don't like it.

Don't even try. I did that as well and got ridiculed for my opinion. Someone *cough* even said that platformers aren't for me, then.

I haven't played 3D World either, but I don't really understand why a button press would be a better solition. Maybe it does give you more precision (although I'm not sure why it would), but isn't it taking away some of the skill? Isn't that what 3D platforming is supposed to be about? Super Monkey Ball shows exactly what an analogue stick is all about when it comes to creating a challenging game that is all about the players skill and precision with navigation. You wouldn't want to hold a button down in that to be able to straight line or something. Heck I'm not sure why I need to use that as an example when I need look no further than 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. Surely the choice in 3D World was purely done for a reason like the camera and level layout.

Edited by Retro_Link

Having played 3D World I'm not sure I could go back to not having a run button, it works so well IMO.

Having played 3D World I'm not sure I could go back to not having a run button, it works so well IMO.

I have to disagree here.

On 3D Land it's understandable, but I believe the main reason this was carried over to 3D World was because you can play the game with the Wiimote sideways, meaning you'd need a run button.

Ergo, run button for everyone to maintain balance in multiplayer.

No, don't ask why anyone would even think of using that control method for 3D World, I have no clue.

No, don't ask why anyone would even think of using that control method for 3D World, I have no clue.

Multiplayer. Loads of Wii remotes around these days, so that's one big reason to have a run button.

Last warning Ronnie - add Wii to your ignore list and stop mentioning and quoting him.

I'm not going to add him to my ignore list, I find his posts too interesting to ignore. I've already cut down on antagonising him, will cut it out further.

Got no complaints about the run button, personally. Felt very natural in 3D Land and felt very natural in this. If you're used to it from the 2D games, it works just as well in this.

I do understand the question though: "Why regress?", and can only assume it's because these last two have been more isometric (not entirely, but for the most part). Whether there will ever be another full 3D Mario that requires the player to understand something relatively subtle like true analogue control... who knows?

Got the first 275 stars. :yay:

I have to say, I wasn't in a position to play this when it was first released, but I've enjoyed going back through the thread and reading the impressions from @Hero\-of\-Time and others as they played it.

Regarding World 9, is it me or are the first three stages disproportionately difficult? Rainbow Run, Super Galaxy and Rolling Ride Run all gave me a workout, but then Super Block Land, Honeycomb Starway and Gargantuan Grotto were very enjoyable, as was Peepa's Fog Bog. The Great Goal Pole and Cosmic Cannon Cluster were about what I expected.

Onto the next world.

I've been trying to complete this over the last few days, got every star, top of the flags all stamps up to World Crown....and Marathon Mystery House.....all enthusiasm for this game died with that level! good lord it burnt me out, 4 hours and i just can't do a run through it without just missing the star and i mean just, so many areas where i was in touching distance and it timed out i nearly threw my gamepad

Yeah, spent a while on that level as well. It was way more tense than the final level. Managed to do it eventually, though. Just see if you can memorize the order so you are ready to run the right way when you start. "Just" I mean.

Has anyone beat everything in this game with all of the characters?

I've been going through it again with my wife as Toad and Rosalina and we're getting towards the stage where we almost have everything done, at the expense of some of my stash of lives :heh:

Not sure how the crown world is gonna go with the remaining 4 characters, though!

Edited by nekunando

Has anyone beat everything in this game with all of the characters?

Indeed.

From 1st December 2013...

After 32 hours i've finally nabbed a 5 star profile, got all the stars and all the stamps ( as seen on my Miiverse posts ).

That fifth star is pretty cheap and feels forced. It kind of feels like multiplayer achievements, which I have always hated.

You have to finish every level with every character in the game. Obviously this star is to encourage multiplayer sessions but seeing as I don't have that luxury I had to go through the game 3 times.

I say 3 an not 5 because someone on Gaf pointed out that if you just press start on another pad and have them hit the flag pole as well then it counts. I was hitting start, grabbing the other character and then hitting the flag pole.

Having to do the final level numerous times was a bit of a headache, although by the time I had finished it I had the level layout nicely.

Bring on Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. :D

I am trying to get my wife to play with me, but we just can't make it....

When I play with different characters, do I have to collect everything, or do I just have to finish it?

I am trying to get my wife to play with me, but we just can't make it....

When I play with different characters, do I have to collect everything, or do I just have to finish it?

If you've already collected the green stars and reached the top of all the flagpoles, you won't have to do that again :smile: Each level basically becomes a race to the finish, which can be pretty fun in itself!

While finishing the game with all characters would seem like overkill of you're desperate for that 5th star, it has provided is with the perfect excuse to go through the entire adventure together :hehe:

Thx, then it could be possible for me to complete it 100%, even if that didn't really happen before (ever :D), maybe with Super Mario World on SNES.