NEurope
Ike

The Super Mario 3D World thread

I stand corrected.

But those moves do feel kind of weak, don't they?

You really are just looking for reasons to dislike the game. In what way do they feel 'kind of weak'? They're tight and very well implemented. How do you go ranting that three moves aren't in the game when 10 seconds of experimentation will tell you they are?

As for your point about "OMGZ how could Nintendo be so stupid not to have attack as a separate button press!!!!1111"... run/attack worked perfectly as one button IMO. In fact I loved the run button, made for much tighter platforming than the arbitrary analog stick method. Besides, tilt the anolog stick slightly and he'll still walk very slowly so it's not as if that functionality is completely gone.

While crouching you can press the run button to roll. You can also jump during a roll to do the rolling long jump. I usually do this to get flag poles if I'm Mario or Toad cause it seems to get more distance than their regular long jumps and the other characters can easily reach the top with their normal jumps.

Naaaaaaaaah. I ain't holding no buttons.

Am I?

You must be doing it subconsciously. Or imagining the smoke and doing the rocket sound effect yourself...

I stand corrected.

How? The long jump and wall jump are vital to the game and brilliantly controlled.

I do miss the triple jump though, it wasn't much use but whenever I was running anywhere I'd always pull it out and never not get immense satisfaction out of doing it. There'd be high fives all round if I triple jumped and landed on top of the flag pole...

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

Only thinking now, not sure if the Triple Jump is there or not? I've actually never tried to do it?

It's not there. All the jumps mentioned on the previous page are still there, but the triple jump is gone. Which is weird because it made its way into the 2D games but was left out of this one. And a shame because it was one of my favorite moves.

I love this game, but in my opinion the one thing it's missing that SM64 had in droves has nothing to do with controls, visuals or camera angles. It's something much more fundamental, the sheer atmosphere of the game. The secrets, the magic.

Remember the castle? Bowser's laugh? Jumping in your first painting? The way the level looked different each time you went back in? Finding a secret star that wasn't the one you went in for? The infinite stairs, the stained glass window, the mirror, the light in the lobby, chasing the rabbit, draining the moat...

I'm sorry I've completely lost track of my point because I need to go play SM64 right now.

What is the run button anyway? Is it just the same layout as 3D Land? Because that drove me crazy not being able to change the controls so run was B, I have to change to that anytime I can otherwise it just doesnt feel right.

It's not there. All the jumps mentioned on the previous page are still there, but the triple jump is gone. Which is weird because it made its way into the 2D games but was left out of this one. And a shame because it was one of my favorite moves.

I love this game, but in my opinion the one thing it's missing that SM64 had in droves has nothing to do with controls, visuals or camera angles. It's something much more fundamental, the sheer atmosphere of the game. The secrets, the magic.

Remember the castle? Bowser's laugh? Jumping in your first painting? The way the level looked different each time you went back in? Finding a secret star that wasn't the one you went in for? The infinite stairs, the stained glass window, the mirror, the light in the lobby, chasing the rabbit, draining the moat...

I'm sorry I've completely lost track of my point because I need to go play SM64 right now.

Naw, I really enjoyed that post reminding me of all the magic :)

... and that grate outside by the lake!!

Edited by Retro_Link

I stand corrected.

What do you mean by weak? Distance/Height of jumps or something?

All work perfectly fine as they have done in all previous games they've been in. Wall Jump is essential for reaching several stars/stamps and the Long Jump is needed to get the Gold Flags if you don't have a Bell or Leaf (or are playing as Peach)

I've used the crouch jump to get a slightly higher vertical leap when needed (though it's rarely needed)

Gods damnit, now I want to play SM64 too :D

I've used the crouch jump to get a slightly higher vertical leap when needed (though it's rarely needed)

Seriously. Spin jump is what you need, much better for Gold Flags!: peace:

I have finally got used to the controls, though the run button is still pointless. I'd almost forgot about it, just because I automatically hold it down now. A silly addition, in my eyes.

The one other thing that annoys me is the camera angles. I just can't get the depth perception right sometimes, it's a lot harder to try and do platforming when you're forced to view it from a certain angle. I wish there was an option to be able to view the world like in Mario 64!

I'm not bothered by the run button. I spent my whole childhood holding down a button to run I don't even notice.

Beat it a little while ago. Best game of 2013 for me hands down, closely followed by Wonderful 101 and Pokemon.

Great year for Nintendo games.

I've done everything bar Champions Road. Going to give it a go now!! Really hoping to do it tonight so i can get started on Zelda tomorrow!!!

Just stopped playing this with GF. Some courses should come with breakup warnings.

On harder worlds and it went something like this:

Me: OK, follow me

Her: OK

*She dies, falling off a ledge*

Me: what the hell?

Her: I literally have no idea what happened then. I didn't do that...

Me: OK, be careful, we have like 2 lives left. Bubble up until I get past this bit

Me: Alright, un-bubble and wait for me incase I die (in-game obviously)

Me: Right, we're through. Did you see how PrO that was?

Me: *I be feeling smug*

Her: Ummm...looked easy-ish actually

Me: Yeah yeah. OK, this way...

Her: Which way?

Me: *this* way...

Her: Where?

Me: On the TV...look...watch me.

Her: Oh.There! You should have said!!

Me: *Give me strength!*

*She dies, walking into a goomba...*

Me: SERIOUSLY? What the hell? What did I say??

Her: It was your fault! You ran off! You always leave me!

Me (Under my breath), I'm tempted...

Her: I'll bubble up - that’s what you want anyway!

Me: Sigh...OK.

Her: *Silent*

Me: you're glaring at me aren't you? You'll put me off and we'll have to start again! I'll get us through this bit, OK?

Me: hngggg

Her: aaaah

Me: shiiiii...

Her: Ffffff...

Me: *Reaches flagpole and pumps fist, turning to smile at her*

Her: Aww...

I can't believe you left me in a bubble. You always leave me!!

Me: *Feeling my moment of triumph, has been dashed*

Me: woman, you be crazy,.. always be bubblin'

Her: FUNNY!

Me: OK, you pick the next one...

*Three hours later*

Love this game. Apparently she does. Have no idea why lol.

Edited by tapedeck

Yeah I'm starting to feel that, pre-emptively :p Only on the third world now, but just hit one of those always-moving-camera levels and worked through all our lives in one go. Still had a laugh but I got an idea of what might be coming :heh:

Fortunately, getting a Game Over doesn't have quite the same consequences as it used to. It no longer means "you have to start again" and instead means "here, carry on with more items". They should call it Game Easier.

My girlfriend was like that partway through world 2. Eventually I had to carry her through just about all the level.

My girlfriend got me this for my birthday so finally I can experience what you've all been raving about! Not played too much yet (just up to world 2) but loving the little I have done.

My girlfriend was like that partway through world 2. Eventually I had to carry her through just about all the level.

I'm gonna have this to 'look forward to' at some point in the near future. I just have a vision of my girlfriend using the cat suits diving attack to constantly dive off ledges to her death!

There's no way I'll be collecting all the stars, golden flagpoles and stamps any time soon. Jesus, Nintendo, way to make me work for the glory.

I've been playing Super Mario 3D World since Christmas and it's awesome :yay:

It starts a little slow, obviously to allow newcomers to get to grips with the game, but it soon ramps up and becomes the excellent game I knew it would be, despite a couple of levels that I'm not particularly fond of. Sprawling Savanah is possibly the worst due to how empty it is and how awful the pop-up is :eek:

Anyway, I had a blast collecting all the stars, stamps and flagpoles and unlocked the final world last night. I haven't had a chance to sample it yet but I'm excited :heh: I almost wish I had tackled it last night as I felt like I was on form, blitzing through certain levels that I thought would be tricky :indeed:

Grrr... Champion Road is doing my nut in!

That 2nd part with the 1second rhythm blocks is just so RAGE.

I can get over the first "flat" set fine but when it comes to the "steps"...gggrrr... the first few are fine but when you get to the top and have two red steps there doesn't seem to be enough time to get to the top one and make the jump over the gap.

I have managed it a few times though, by jumping above the top one and using the groundpound to get a bit of extra air time, but getting the timing of that right is just....gggrrrr... off by a fraction of a second and you'll just plumett down before the block reappears.

As I said though I have managed it a few times and the parts after that are fairly straightforward.

The best I have managed though is getting as far as the moving water bit with the spikey blocks.

It should be a simple section but I somehow manage to frak up everytime. Either screwing up when the water does it's u-turn and not getting to the top half fast enough or just being total facepalm stupid and touching the spikes more than once and dying.

Grrr... eventually I'll get there I guess....eventually.

Bringing a Tanooki suit with you will save you so much pain on Champions Road. At the section where you need to long jump across the flashing blocks you can just float across straight onto the solid platform. I still haven't passed the level, but this saved me from tearing my hair out on that section.

Yeah I've used the Tanooki suit to help get me past that section a few times.... but somehow I just keep frakking up at the water bit regardless :(

With the tanooki suit the level is pretty easy i reckon :D The only bit of the level that's actually hard is the rhythm blocks.

Music from the soundtrack CD that they got in Japan has now appeared on

Nintendo, you need to get that on the European Stars Catalogue, pronto! :bouncy:

Credits music in high quality:

So good. :love: :love: :love: