N-Europe

So uh, water on Mars yeah?

Esequiel

I thought they found water on Mars ages ago?

Yeah the Phoenix Lander found subsurface water in uninhabitable parts of Mars, and they found ice (frozen CO2).

But now they've actually tested for water in the soil, and found quite a lot of it (relatively speaking).

Yeah the Phoenix Lander found subsurface water in uninhabitable parts of Mars, and they found ice (frozen CO2).

But now they've actually tested for water in the soil, and found quite a lot of it (relatively speaking).

Yeah it was 3% I think. Positively squelching!

Reaktorr/Mahs/giving people Air etc.

Open your miiiiiind...

...three boobies.

See you all at the paahtee.

I'll go pick up Richter. He needs a helping hand these days.

Or two.

I was wonder how long it would take to go back to Recall.:bowdown:

Good news indeed.

My (basic) understanding is that we presume that finding water = possibility of life, right? My other understanding is that the atmosphere protects us from a lot of ionisation-type radiation, which Mars doesn't got. So a) no life on mars because shit be jiggy on a molecular scale or b) somehow life works and we find a cure for cancer and shit.

I don't know much though.

We had evidence there was water on Mars by the rock formations, clay particles and other reasons. This is just the confirmation by actually finding the water.

Bolded the important point. The rock formations only showed evidence for previous existing water. And all of the previously found water didn't point to an abundance of it. This latest finding points to a (relatively) large amount of water.

Additionally, the fact that it's in the soil, and not just clumps of ice or permeating frost in rock, makes it far more likely for microbial organisms to exist.

Apparently they are hoping the dont find any ice, as one of the tech guys contaminated the drill but by opening its case before launch. We could accidently seed the planet with our own bacteria possibly killing any living life thats there.

I'd expect no less of humanity.