Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Probably just exaggerating. It is Gaf.

If they think that's slow they must not be One owners. That thing takes a lifetime to actually boot up!

Indeed. I brought up similar regarding my 360 and someone claimed my 360 was broken, but countless others experienced it with their 360s.

These are people who claim the Wii U is worse than the 360 and PS3, let alone the newer devices.

Edited by Serebii

Even so, why PS4? Why not PS3? His cost breakdown would have been so much lower. I don't know why someone would consider the PS4 if they're only interested in a couple of games that are also available much cheaper! That's why there's just no logic to the argument.

I quoted a PS4 because as I mentioned in my original post, if Nintendo fail to bring these franchises, or replacements, to Wii U then a PS4 is the console I will buy to play them on. So why would I compare costs with a XB1. And even if I did just choose PS4 randomly to do a comparison the costs are the same so it's still valid. But you never read a post properly, you only see the part that may be derogatory to PS4 and respond to that, but it's then out of context. And to confirm. I allowed for 1 year of subscription in my analysis, but I later said I had not allowed for these costs going forward i.e years 2,3,4 etc. So you were wrong there also.

I quoted a PS4 because as I mentioned in my original post, if Nintendo fail to bring these franchises, or replacements, to Wii U then a PS4 is the console I will buy to play them on.

I get that. But if you're very concerned about the cost to just play a couple of franchises, why not get a PS3? No subscription to play online, dirt cheap console, and lots of other titles you might enjoy based on what you've currently played on Wii U (particularly the ports). Makes more sense, no? The PS3 will no doubt be supported for a good number of years yet; the PS2 even got FIFA 14.

I'm curious about something...

I was looking at Gaf and saw people still complaining about how slow the Wii U OS is, and some said that entering the Settings menu took ages (I think they said around 15 seconds?), and even longer to get back to the Wii U Menu. I decided to check for myself, found my trusty stopwatch, and... for me, it took just over four seconds to enter the settings and just below six seconds to get back.

Is my Wii U just extremely fast, or are people really exaggerating this much? I don't know what to believe. o__O

I think it's pretty variable but there were some speed improvements in the recent update. It still feels clunky and slow. I think the problem is that it feels slow, rather than actually being slow. Perhaps they need to hide loadd by adding some slick loading animations and trick us into believing its faster.

Well impressed with the new Quick Start, you can sign in and start a game so fast since it's seemingly using software stored on the Gamepad before the Wii U has even fully booted up.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by this feature too. Pretty much all I ever want to do is play the game inserted.

Different subject, for those who have one how long is your WiiU extended battery lasting?

I played 7 and a half hours on mario kart last night and the battery light still hadn't come on. Pretty good considering it only lasted 3 to 3 and a half hours before.

Uuuurgh, the new update sounded so good but it doesn't work well for me. Boot up the quick start menu, and lo and behold it somehow doesn't think I use disc based games enough to boot up straight to Mario Kart.

It made some good picks, like friends and Miiverse, but then 3 whole spaces were wasted with demos I had only played once, all for less than 20 minutes each. And to top it off, no customisation in the user settings to change it so specific software shows up from the menu.

So for now I can't see myself using it. I might try one more time after uninstalling the demo software titles, but if it's still not giving me the option to boot whatever is in the disc drive, which will most likely be the thing universally wanted by users, then there's no point. Really hoping for a customisation option, but until then, I'll save a little on the electricity bill.

Still really liking the hardware, especially as it's given me with my poor HDMI-less HD TV an option to make it a make shift smart TV without hooking up my computer to it every now and then.

I'm curious about something...

I was looking at Gaf and saw people still complaining about how slow the Wii U OS is, and some said that entering the Settings menu took ages (I think they said around 15 seconds?), and even longer to get back to the Wii U Menu. I decided to check for myself, found my trusty stopwatch, and... for me, it took just over four seconds to enter the settings and just below six seconds to get back.

Is my Wii U just extremely fast, or are people really exaggerating this much? I don't know what to believe. o__O

I just checked, from

quickstart > settings 15 seconds.

straight from the menu 9 seconds.

going back to the menu 20 seconds.

It may have something to do with the number of downloaded files, the organisation of those files, maybe HDD attached?

It is strange, certainly my Wii U isn't performing as well as yours.

I bought mine November last year... obv. got the most recent update... unless there has been another update recently!

I noticed an interesting little quirk. I had the tv app open on the gamepad to turn the tele on and turned the Wii u on, it didn't loads the quick pllay menu. Now I realise it's because it uses gamepad software which was obviously busy at the time, but interesting nonetheless.

Ordered a pro controller. That damn gamepad hurts my hands playing MK8.

Is it possible to just use the pro controller when turning the Wii U on to boot games?

Yes it's possible. Just press power button and then you have to press 'X' to throw what's on the game pad screen up to the TV. A cursor appears then that you can use to select games, whatever. :)

In other news, Japan got its first Nintendo DS game on the Wii U Virtual Console today.

Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (known as Brain Age in Japan) is available as a free download from the Wii U Virtual Console.

Japanese users can download the title for free until June 30.

The title was released with little fanfare, and is yet to be confirmed for North America or Europe.

Plans to release Nintendo DS games on the Wii U were announced earlier this year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a575472/first-nintendo-ds-game-launches-on-wii-u-virtual-console-in-japan.html#~oGesSV3Ay4448a

EDIT: Just seen this has been posted in Wii U Virtual Console thread. Doesn't hurt being here either I guess. Apologies anyway! : peace:

Edited by Aneres11