Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

It all depends on how well Nintendo goes about advertising Mario Kart 8 and the Wii U in the next month or so. Personally I'm not very confident, they've done a pretty piss poor effort so far, especially in Australia.
Nintendo's advertising efforts have indeed been pretty damn terrible recently, but I'd be seriously disappointed if they screwed up with MK8. I mean, it pretty much advertises itself! :awesome: All they have to do is stick some gameplay footage on TV and it's job done.

I just hope they don't do something like this again:

As much as I personally enjoy watching Harry Redknapp not having a clue at even pretending to play a game, it does not make for good advertising. :heh:

Nintendo's advertising efforts have indeed been pretty damn terrible recently, but I'd be seriously disappointed if they screwed up with MK8. I mean, it pretty much advertises itself! :awesome: All they have to do is stick some gameplay footage on TV and it's job done.

I just hope they don't do something like this again:

But that's why they were successful. Wii tapped into the cult of celebrity expertly. I have NO idea why Nintendo have stopped advertising WiiU. People see that and aspire to have the same family fun as the Redknapps. It's cheesy as but it works.

I still think reducing the price now is pointless. People will buy it, sell as many as you can, have an awesome e3, then do an official reduction in the autumn combined with all the big releases. It makes the most sense to do it that way. I find it strange everyone thinks they should do it now. It's about moments, news headlines, getting in people's minds. Great reviews and mk releasing will be a moment, e3 will, then a price cut after the summer will, then all the releases.

Who will buy it?

I'm a big Nintendo fan and I'm not buying it.

Many many many people will buy it. Wanna bet :)

Plays, nintoland, pikmin 3, mario 3d world, donkey kong, wind waker remake, mario kart.... I'm sorry. But if you don't want that you're not a Nintendo fan :D

Plays, nintoland, pikmin 3, mario 3d world, donkey kong, wind waker remake, mario kart.... I'm sorry. But if you don't want that you're not a Nintendo fan :D

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but I don't want to play any of those...

I recently bought Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and by God...I want to play them and I will play them.

Many many many people will buy it. Wanna bet :)

Dude I've already said I'm excited for Mario Kart, but the price of the console is wrong. The rest I'd probably pick up, but I'm not rushing out to buy the console for any of them.

You think many, many, many people will buy it for Mario Kart at £250?... care to put a number to it?

If only this was a Wii U game...oh wait. What, you mean that they can market the console with the game, especially as there's a bundle of it? NO WAY

Sarcasm aside, the general public's lack of knowledge about the difference between Wii U and Wii, in spite of advertising for previous games, suggests that Nintendo should advertise the console itself more, rather than "THIS GAME!!! on this console"

Of course you are. :heh:

Dude...do you want me to invade you? I swear to God, I will pyromancy the shit out of you. :p

Still haven't finished Dark Souls II

But yeah, I'm a huge Nintendo fan :P I'm so excited for Smash Bros, even though I will possibly never get it :(@Retro_Link gave the reason :p

I'm also very hopeful thinking of E3. I believe Nintendo can pull it off.

Well they have confirmed Mario Kart 8 will get a year long marketing campaign, so that's something.

I'm pretty sure that it will be longer. There was a Nintendo stand area in the Arndale centre a few months ago and the most prominent game was Mario Kart 7.

Just of topic slightly (not sure where else to put it), but is it worth buying the Wii LAN adapter? Because even though the wifi speeds in my house are ~14 Mbps, the Wii U is nowhere near this.

Does hard wiring it really help (as per Smash Direct?), especially as MK8 is coming up soon?

Any thoughts/opinions/testimonials would be apreciated.

Just of topic slightly (not sure where else to put it), but is it worth buying the Wii LAN adapter? Because even though the wifi speeds in my house are ~14 Mbps, the Wii U is nowhere near this.

Does hard wiring it really help (as per Smash Direct?), especially as MK8 is coming up soon?

I'll be getting one soon :)

God yes it helps... get one, definitely!

I use one, works a lot better than wifi.

I can't help but think the Wii U has already been left for too long. If Nintendo were ever going to save it, it would have been Christmas 2013.

Everyone was saying the exact same thing back in December as they are now about Mario Kart - Marketing Blitz, new bundles, multiplayer Mario game and what happened there? A slight increase, sure, but too little too late. If they'd have kept steady momentum from Christmas and then hit us with this Mario Kart, it might be in another position, but again, we've been left with absolutely nothing since Donkey Kong. Sure, we've had a few okay VC releases and the odd indie games, but they should have been blitzing us with HD N64/GC online titles and all sorts to really get the ball rolling.

I really hope I'm proved wrong, because I'm actually a huge fan of the Wii U, and have bought so many great games for it, but at this point even I'm starting to feel jaded and unenthusiastic about the console. We need more than one big game every 6 months because again, after Mario Kart, when is the next big hitter? WE DON'T KNOW.

Nintendo have left us in the dark, for so long, about everything. It's no wonder that people aren't too keen on getting one from the outside looking in.