NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

Just been reading and hearing on news today bout how Trap is still saying all is not lost, if results go our way we still have a chance to come 2nd. :p

He also said somewhere (can't find teh article now, readi to on phone this morning) that he thinks he'll have his contract renewed for the next campainge :laugh:

Considering finishing 2nd would now mean winning all 3 of our last 3 games and one of the games is vs Germany, in Germany, the same Germany that beat us 6-1 in our own backyard and Traps reaction after that was "ah they're Germany we're not as good as them, we had no chance of winning, what can you do" (well words to that effect)... so now he thinks we can go toe to toe with Germany?

Also I been thinking, not tried to do that math on this but I'd say it is safe to say that even if somehow Sweden drop 4 or more points in their last 3 games and we manage to somehow come 2nd. I'd say chances are good we'd prolly be the 9th best 2nd place team and not make the play-offs anyway :heh:

Ah it would seem Trapattoni has finally accepted that he will be finishing up as Ireland boss after this "qualification" campaigne isover :)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0909/473125-trapattoni-resigned-to-fate/

I do find this quote to be a odd

""Over five years, I think we have achieved a good result. We have changed the team, we have improved the ranking, we have moved on players and discovered many others."

I assume he is talking about the FIFA Rankings? And if he is he'd be very wrong :heh:

We were ranked 38 in 2008 when he took over, sure we jumped up to 22nd in 2011 but today we are ranked 44th... I don't think that counts as an "improved ranking" :heh:

And a 1-0 lose to Austria look at that.

So from Trap yesterday going "ah 3rd would still be a good finish"... looks like he won;t even manage that. 4th place finish is depressing.

Yeah I know we aren't the greatest footballing nation in the world but we are/should be better than a 4th place finish. When the coach constantly playing Championship players and leaving Premiership players on the bench or not even selecting them you can;t say he's been picking/playing the best team of players available to him.

Not to mention we'll likely drop a few more places in the FIFA and UEFA rankings and we'll now likely be seeded in a lower pot when the draw for Euro 2016 Qualifcation groups is made in Feb.

You know it's interlull when Mokong is the only one posting. :p

Roll on Saturday!

How did that happen? Last I heard ye were winning 1-0?

:hug:

Cahill was England's best player tonight.

Terrible performance overall, they literally had no ideas going forward.

I should've watched the Germany game...

How did that happen? Last I heard ye were winning 1-0?

:hug:

We seem to play much better against the big teams, certainly at Windsor Park ::shrug:

I take it your game was on RTE? BBC haven't had the rights to Northern Ireland games for a couple of years now meaning I haven't been able to watch our games. That's pretty annoying :hmm:

Yeah RTE and Sky Sports both have rights to qualifiers. I watch on RTE. I thought Sky Sports show Northern Ireland games too? or do you not have Sky Sports maybe?

I've never had Sky Sports.. don't think Sky is worth the money at all :heh: We got BT installed last week with BT Sport but it would appear I may be moving out at the end of this week :eek:

For a midfield with that quality, the England game was terrible tonight. Just so utterly boring and clueless. 3 attacking players in Lampard, Gerrard and Wilshere should not result in defensive football. The passing was dreadful, ball retention almost non-existent and there were next to no chances created.

Yes, a point away is great, but the style of football leaves a lot to be desired. England have no identity. No soul. It is pretty much like grabbing random players from the top teams and putting them together on a field, rather than a team.

For a midfield with that quality, the England game was terrible tonight. Just so utterly boring and clueless. 3 attacking players in Lampard, Gerrard and Wilshere should not result in defensive football. The passing was dreadful, ball retention almost non-existent and there were next to no chances created.

Yes, a point away is great, but the style of football leaves a lot to be desired. England have no identity. No soul. It is pretty much like grabbing random players from the top teams and putting them together on a field, rather than a team.

If a point away is great, how do you sum up 3 points away?

SCOTLAND ARE GOING TO BRAZ......

:sad:

YAY, good news for Irish football fans. Trapattoni has been shown the door. Contract ended by mutual consent :D

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0911/473554-trapattoni-leaves-ireland-post/

OK while I will admit he did do a good job in his first 4 years, narrowly missing out on South Africa 2010, qualified for Euro 2012, ye all now what happened at the Euros last year and after that it's just been a downward spiral and really he should have been shown the door after the Euros. A stubborness to try a new play style, alienating some players and having falling outs with them, picking championship level players over Premiership players (because those players don't fit his "style", ie: they like to pass the ball and try to be creative rather than lump it forward for a long ball)... even his choice of players for the Euros had some strange inclusions, because "those were the players that played in the qualifiers" even though leading up the Euros their club form was dropping and there were other up coming players who were playing well who were ignore. Hell he admitted to taking James McClean to the Euros to apease the press and fans but also admitted he had no intention of playing him at the Euros...way to give your players confidence boss :heh:

*takes deep breath*

...sorry, rant over. Trap is gone now, hopefully the FAI can get a new manager who can rebuild the team and inject some life back into the squad and give them back that fighting spirit we once had. Hopefully they get a new man in, in time for the Germany game so the rebuild can start right away.... I'd also love it if a new manager came in, changed the team totally from what Trap would pick (ie: Prem players in starting line up and not on bench) and even if they managed to pull off a draw with Germany, who when they beat us 6-1 previously Traps reply was "ah they are Germany, we don't plan to beat them, we fight for 2nd place not first", I'd just like teh team to show him it could have been possible :heh:

Very pleased with Scotland's performance last night. Excellent throughout. Anya is a great find, one of the best players on the pitch last night. Endless energy.

Lovely freekick by Maloney to win it. Can't believe that's only his second goal and first game in 2006 against the Faroes!

England are so clueless from the fa all the way to the manager it's so distressing. FUCKING MILNER!?!?!? We are so average it's painful and I just say accept it, and build for the future and play young players, like germany did 4 years ago. And start playing a system and in a way the is modern. We're playing old style football in a slightly modern formation. Hodgson is awful.

Cole, Lampard, Gerard... you're great. But bin them off. Lambert too. However much I like him, he's not good enough and too old to develop. I would bin off anyone over 30 and start thinking about 2016 even 2018. Also get a manager that can develop a system.

Also, I'm not trying to flame. But is Wilshere the most over rated player in England or what? If he was German, or Dutch or whatever would we really be talking about him like we do? Same with Welbeck, Cleverly and young. They're all young (ish) and we don't have much choice; but they're all pretty average.

England are so clueless from the fa all the way to the manager it's so distressing. FUCKING MILNER!?!?!? We are so average it's painful and I just say accept it, and build for the future and play young players, like germany did 4 years ago. And start playing a system and in a way the is modern. We're playing old style football in a slightly modern formation. Hodgson is awful.

Cole, Lampard, Gerard... you're great. But bin them off. Lambert too. However much I like him, he's not good enough and too old to develop. I would bin off anyone over 30 and start thinking about 2016 even 2018. Also get a manager that can develop a system.

Also, I'm not trying to flame. But is Wilshere the most over rated player in England or what? If he was German, or Dutch or whatever would we really be talking about him like we do? Same with Welbeck, Cleverly and young. They're all young (ish) and we don't have much choice; but they're all pretty average.

Wilshere isn't the same player he was before he got injured. This is understandable giving he missed close to 2 years with injury. Pre Injury Wilshere was unrivalled for his age, he was playing against the greatest in the game and outclassing them.

Obviously it's going to take him some time to return to that level. He's well above the other two you mention. I appreciate this may come off looking like a total fanboy but I imagine most people who know anything about football will know what a special talent Wilshere is.

Edited by Jon

Let me guess, Walker was your star player? Wonder why he didn't gt a mention in that rant since ee was one of the worst!

Let me guess, Walker was your star player? Wonder why he didn't gt a mention in that rant since ee was one of the worst!

Not at all. I just class him as someone who everyone knows is a liability.

Wilshere isn't the same player he was before he got injured. This is understandable giving he missed close to 2 years with injury. Pre Injury Wilshere was unrivalled for his age, he was playing against the greatest in the game and outclassing them.

Obviously it's going to take him some time to return to that level. He's well above the other two you mention. I appreciate this may come off looking like a total fanboy but I imagine most people who know anything about football will know what a special talent Wilshere is.

That's fair enough, injuries can have a huge impact on a player, and by god we need a player he has the potential to be. Just wish all our promising stars start fulfilling it. We haven't had a gazza since gazza.

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

We was forever doomed when uncle Woy got the job, he's terrible like you said.

Welbeck and Cleverley are terrible, but they're still pretty young, so who knows, they might turn out half decent. Ashley Young is just diabolical and even older.

Can't really agree with that "Welbeck being terrible" comment at all. In fact, I'd say he performs pretty well for England. At least he isn't one to hide in the shirt and puts in a great shift every time.

Young, on the other hand, does nothing for me. Would happily like to see him offloaded at both club and international level. On paper, he sounds like he should do ok but he just never does the business for me.

Cleverley is hit and miss. Either way, not terrible at all.

The problem is to do with the tactics and style of play. Not really to do with the players being selected, I'd say that's a little bit lower down on the list. Yes, there could be one or two changes to the team, but the style has been dreadful for about 5 or 6 years, regardless of players.

As for Wilshere, he is over-rated by Arsenal fans but he is still a damn good player. The problem with him is that he's made of glass and I cringe every single time I see him go in for a tackle and not get back up immediately. Unfortunately, I can't see shake off the image in my head of him being another Owen Hargreaves type of player, as in he would be first choice every single time when fit, but fitness being the issue.

BBC Price of Football survey came out today.

Someone made the point that with the new TV deal all Premier League clubs could reduce prices by £15 (presumably per ticket) and still make the same money as they did last season.

Was just looking at the FIFA website to see how world cup qualifiers were going elsewhere, didn't realise after last Tuesday 5 teams, including two from Europe gauranteed their spots at Brazil 2014.

Qualified teams as of now are

Brazil as hosts of course

4 out 4 spots from Asia filled

Japan

Australia

Iran

South Korea

(Jordan qualified for an intercontinental Play-off with a South American team, TBD)

From Europe 2 out of 13 spots confirmed

Netherlands

Italy

From North/Central America & Caribbean, 2 out of 3 guaranteed spots confirmed

USA

Costa Rica

(One gauranteed spot still to play for aswell as an Intercontinental Play-Off spot)

From South America, 1 out of 4 guaranteed spots confirmed

Argentina

(3 guarnteed spots still to play for and one Intercontinental Play-Off spot to face Jordan)

From Oceania, no guarnteed spots, just 1 intercontinental play-off

New Zealand qualified for Intercontinental Play-Off vs as yet unknown team from North/Central America & Caribbean region.

Africa has no confirmed teams yet. They have 10 teams left in contention who will be paired up to make 5 two legged play-off matches, to take play in Oct and Nov. All 5 winners will qualify for Brazil 2014.

So that's 10 out 32 confirmed teams,

Next years summer football is starting to slowly take shape :D