N-Europe

Console aesthetics

After a chat in the Wii U thread about how the GameCube is the best looking piece of plastic ever and also a ridiculous cube shaped lunch box, I wondered what your opinions of console aesthetics were and also, which are some of the best and worst examples?

Obviously in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter too much what a console looks like as long as it provides you with hours of entertainment but that's not to say we can't appreciate (or indeed mock) some of the best and worst looking consoles out there.

With that in mind, after talking a lot about the GameCube I couldn't help but think about it's beautiful half brother - the Panasonic Q. Surely this is the best looking console of all time.

PanasonicQ.jpg

What are your thoughts? Can anything beat this beast? Also, what are some of the worst examples out there. In my opinion, the European SNES models were pretty awful. Mainly because I see so many in second-hand stores now with that awful yellow tinge.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the EU/JPN SNES :love:

SO6oLa65QLWLLaigOh3u_SNES.jpg

It's just so homely and smooth. Not quite sleek, but totally swish! :)

There's lots of other consoles I really like aesthetically like the GameCube, N64, Mega Drive, NES and the Dreamcast (I also really like the Wii, but for very different reasons), but the EU SNES remains my favourite.

Back when consoles LOOKED like consoles and not generic entertainment/aspirational devices! Consoles that were just plain fun to look at, that looked like they were fun to play! (Yeah, the Wii was a real looker and a gorgeous device in of itself, but it doesn't have that same "consoley" feel that defined Nintendo's past machines)

I always wanted a Famicom GB Micro :hehe: Such a bizarre decision to release that model here instead of a NES variant, but I don't care! It looks gorgeous!

GBAsp was a real revelation, in terms of aesthetics, when it first came out. Such a huge shift in terms of design philosophy for Nintendo (and handhelds in general) and a design that was so good that its clamshell design continues to live on till this very day! Granted, it also marked the end of the "toy" look that consoles had (which is sad in of itself) but it's still a great looking device!

Oh and I still think that the original "fat" PS2 still looks like a nasty portable radiator. (PS2 Slim is a looker though, as is the PSone. Shame that the PS3 slim models didn't follow that same trend though - they both look ugly as sin! In fact that console got uglier as time went on!! :laughing: )

Edited by Dcubed

Wow, I've never seen the Famicom Micro, it looks amazing. Saying that though, anything with the Famicom colour scheme looks amazing!

And I agree with Dcubed about the Wii, it looks wonderful. Still don't like the EU SNES though, I think I just don't like smooth consoles. Must be why I hate the look of Wii U so much compared to the sharp edges of Wii :p

I think I liked the Panasonic Q at the time, but now it just looks like a generic CD player.

I like the Purple Gamecube, I also loved the Purple Gameboy Colour! :)

color.jpg

But for me the N64 and it's controllers (yellow) wins this one! :D

Nintendo64.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

It could just be the attachment I've built up over the years, but I love the look of the Wii console and the Wiimote still feels sexy to hold.

WII_PROD.jpg

It was moulded for my hands. Love holding the mote 'n' chuk. :D

After that, the original GREY N64.

inb4 "it's black!"

The 3DS/DS Lite is also a thing of beauty.

Yeah I still have my Micro.

Love playing Pokemon on it - particularly the Leaf Green / Fire Red games!

I agree with Retro Link re the N64 too. I used to absolutely love those coloured controllers. I always wanted a yellow one so bad and my local video shop always had one in a glass case by all the games. I never did buy it (as I was only a kid with no money ha) but when I asked for it for a Birthday present off my mum and dad they bought me the iced purple one instead. I loved it. But always wanted that yellow one!!

I also think the Vita needs a mention in terms of sex appeal. It's a damn fine looking console.

Well, I have a soft spot for most Nintendo consoles purely for all the pleasure they’ve brought me. And it depends a bit, since I hold different standards of aesthetics. I actually like the shape of the N64, but for hardware I prefer minimal design. With that in mind, and including handhelds, my top 5 would probably:

Scratch that. There are various consoles and handhelds I like, and I can’t be bothered to rank them.

neogeox.jpg

11972-ps3controllerangleb.jpg

NintendoDSi-BlackClosed.jpg

ouya-light-on.png

(Hate the very concept of this, but I like the design)

And the already posted Wii and GBA Micro.

Yeah I still have my Micro.

Love playing Pokemon on it - particularly the Leaf Green / Fire Red games!

I agree with Retro Link re the N64 too. I used to absolutely love those coloured controllers. I always wanted a yellow one so bad and my local video shop always had one in a glass case by all the games. I never did buy it (as I was only a kid with no money ha) but when I asked for it for a Birthday present off my mum and dad they bought me the iced purple one instead. I loved it. But always wanted that yellow one!!

I also think the Vita needs a mention in terms of sex appeal. It's a damn fine looking console.

My parents got an N64 for me and my brother with two controllers, one grey and one yellow. I was quick to say the yellow was mine, and being his macho 13 year old self he was more than happy to have grey, so I think I won that :bouncy:

(but seriously, I'm very jealous of your iced purple one, I ALWAYS wanted one of those!)

And @Sméagol whilst that PS3 doesn't look too bad there, the plastic in real life is horrific. So cheap. I don't know how they could go from that wonderful Piano PS3 to that.

GBAsp was a real revelation, in terms of aesthetics, when it first came out. Such a huge shift in terms of design philosophy for Nintendo (and handhelds in general) and a design that was so good that its clamshell design continues to live on till this very day! Granted, it also marked the end of the "toy" look that consoles had (which is sad in of itself) but it's still a great looking device!

Agreed, in fact, needs pix. I remember Nintendo announcing this, I think I was more impressed and excited by this console than any other, it was practically flawless. Cool new design, still played GB/GBC games, compact but still comfortable to hold, backlit and rechargeable lithium battery. This thing blew them all out of the water

gbasp.jpg

Edited by Shorty

Yup. GBAsp felt like it came from the future when it first came out!

It's also still the best way of playing GBA games (assuming that you have the US only backlit model) as it has the best quality screen - along with full multiplayer support and GCN connectivity.

I really love the look of the original Mega Drive

qoMK6HM.jpg

The "Mega Drive 2" was so dull by comparison.

Agreed. Love the turntable look of the original model! :D (The fact that it offers better sound quality as well just proves that it was meant to give off a turntable vibe ;) )

I think I liked the Panasonic Q at the time, but now it just looks like a generic CD player.

I like the Purple Gamecube, I also loved the Purple Gameboy Colour! :)

color.jpg

Hey! It's my GBC! (still have it BTW :) )

Nintendo64.jpg

Ahh, remember when consoles used to actually come in lots of different colours? (that weren't just obscure special editions!)

1898331-dsci1095.jpg

The light blue and orange ones especially = :love:

Edited by Dcubed

[..]

And @Sméagol whilst that PS3 doesn't look too bad there, the plastic in real life is horrific. So cheap. I don't know how they could go from that wonderful Piano PS3 to that.

It’s funny you should say that. I was going through some old comments of mine on another forum, and I used to prefer the old PS3, then later changed my mind. But I also must admit I’ve never seen the PS3 slim close up, and renders and promo shots tend to look better than the actual products anyway, so I can imagine that being the case. But it can’t be worse than its current version.

I don't own a DSiXL, but this sure does look VERY sexy

IXL_DSi_XL.jpg

I also really love the design of the gamecube, the gamecube controller and the original gameboy advance. The original advance just looked so playfull and jolly haha, I liked that

Agreed, in fact, needs pix. I remember Nintendo announcing this, I think I was more impressed and excited by this console than any other, it was practically flawless. Cool new design, still played GB/GBC games, compact but still comfortable to hold, backlit and rechargeable lithium battery. This thing blew them all out of the water

gbasp.jpg

GBA SP! It was amazing! It was the very first console I purchased with my own money (all previous consoles had been christmas or birthday presents) and well worth it. The GBA SP and the Gamecube are possibly my favourite consoles in terms of aesthetics... The N64 is also up there and I do like the current 360 elite model - especially my own limited edition Bungie/Halo Reach model :D

I think i have to disagree about the GBA SP - it looks like something you would get in a Happy Meal.

I think the N64 was a nice looking console, pretty timeless - as was the Gamecube. The PS1 has not aged as well i don't think.

What did you guys think of the Dreamcast controller? I love the look of it but man, it's not that comfortable to hold :p

Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg

The N64 controller though, MAN, that's the most comfortable thing ever.

I didn't have a problem with the Dreamcast controller at the time, I like it, it's unique, if a little bit bulky.

The Dreamcast was a sexy console too, with it's triangular orange light! :)

I disagree about the PS3 Slim, I think it's a lovely looking console.

To start with a negative (to counter all of these positives), I think the Xbox 360 is such a rubbish design. The original Xbox was much better.

The PS3 is also pretty crap. I can see what it was trying to do, but it didn't pull it off. Just looks bloated.

The Wii looks nice, but I agree with @Dcubed about consoles looking like consoles. The Wii just doesn't.

What did you guys think of the Dreamcast controller? I love the look of it but man, it's not that comfortable to hold :p

Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg

The N64 controller though, MAN, that's the most comfortable thing ever.

Not a fan of the Dreamcast at all and the controller is probably one of the worst that I've ever held in my hands. It's a bad design and has too much wasted space/plastic. It doesn't particularly feel nice to hold. In fact, it feels a bit cheap, a bit tacky and too "clunky".

The opposite of this is the GameCube controller, which is just beautiful to look at and hold.