NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Boston Marathon Explosion

Just got home from work and saw it on Twitter. The thing that's really irking me is that loads of people run marathons for incredibly good reasons and some arsehole(s) do that. It's beyond sad.

I'd say that's exactly the point. It's an act of terrorism, but we just don't know who by. That's what I'd like to know really.

Police reports that 25-30 have suffered amputation injuries ranging from losses below the ankle to double leg amputations

:(

I can't get my head round how people can do this, but i suppose you have to be one of these terrorists to understand properly

Saw Obama addressing the nation last night. Hardly inspiring (well, I didn't feel filled with much confidence) but it was only 3 hours-ish after it had happened.

It just seems so random. The World Trade Center and the Pentagon on 9/11, they seemed "viable" targets for such an attack. But the finish line of a marathon?! It doesn't seem something a big terrorist organisation would do.

Saw Obama addressing the nation last night. Hardly inspiring (well, I didn't feel filled with much confidence) but it was only 3 hours-ish after it had happened.

It just seems so random. The World Trade Center and the Pentagon on 9/11, they seemed "viable" targets for such an attack. But the finish line of a marathon?! It doesn't seem something a big terrorist organisation would do.

could be domestic terrorists

Exactly. Is it a group, amateurs, maybe just another lanza? I'd like to know the motivation and whatnot behind the attack.

I think it's pretty amazing people just ran straight to the nearest hospital after finishing to give blood. I'm probably just mirroring what everyone else has said about this event but FUCK anyone who would do this and my heart goes out to everyone caught up in this horrible act. What the hell, mankind? What the hell?

Nice way to bring some attention on themselves.

Why didn't England win the last world cup? "Because God hates fags."

Nice way to bring some attention on themselves.

Why didn't England win the last world cup? "Because God hates fags."

Someone earlier mentioned about how giving publicity encourages terrorism. I'd disagree, but with these Westboro Baptist Church nutters it's publicity they're after. They picket these things and make outrageous, massively controversial claims as they know the media will give them hours of free publicity.

The best way to deal with them and reduce their impact is to ignore the fuck out of them. If you don't watch/read about them, the media won't report it. Which is illustrated (in a tragic roundabout kind of way) by the frequent attacks in Iraq and Syria.

How very disappointing. But remember, it's only a few simple-minded and easily lead idiots that are saying this.

How very disappointing. But remember, it's only a few simple-minded and easily lead idiots that are saying this.

Yeah. My faith in humanity was restored by those who ran towards the explosion the moment it happened to help. Like that guy who helped a runner whose leg was blown off, closing his artery with his hand so he didn't bleed out.

It's sad that people stood there and took photos of people in desperate situations , when they could have been helping ? Or getting out of the way .

I think some pictures don't need to be shown , hand them to the authorities or news who can filter them bit don't go spreading them on social sites :S

Few days late but just saw that WBC thing.

WTF? Why? Did they post that before or after any of the victims were named?

Anyway seems to be some developments happening this morning. Didn't see the full story as I turned the TV on halfway into it but something about a shoot out and FBI/Police having one person in custody and looking for a 2nd who is on the run.

Also last night had an argument with me dad who was insisting (as if he was 100% certain) that North Korea did it, but wouldn't listen to me when I tried to explain if NK were going to actually follow through on their threats I'm sure they wouldn't wait so long claim responsibility and that they would prolly do it in a bit more of a military attack than a hidden attack :heh:

Apparently lots of stuff happening / happened during the night in Boston, near a college. Police officer shot down, Police SUV stolen, more explosions?

A university police officer has died after being shot on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus in Cambridge late Thursday, said state police spokesman Lt. Mark Riley. The MIT officer was responding to a disturbance when he was shot, according to the state district attorney's office. He sustained "multiple gunshot wounds."

State police and the FBI were called in after the shooting and found the campus policeman near Building 32 on MIT's campus. He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the district attorney's office said. Dozens of officers surrounded and cordoned off the building, known as the Stata Center, which houses computer science laboratories as well as the department of linguistics and philosophy, according to MIT's website.

(updated 1:23 a.m. ET): Dozens of police have rushed to an area of Watertown, Massachusetts, just over two miles from Cambridge, said CNN's Drew Griffin, who is near the scene. A "very large event has taken place," Griffin said. There were reports that explosives were involved.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/19/live-blog-police-action-in-boston/?hpt=hp_t1

EDIT - A Little more info -

WCBV-TV said the suspects threw and detonated explosives during a car chase with police.

An FBI official told Fox News early Friday that one person was in custody and an officer was down but said it was too early to tell if the police activity in Watertown or the MIT shooting were related to the Boston Marathon bombing.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/19/gunshots-reported-on-mit-campus/

So can't confirm if related to Monday event's yet. But still. What an insane week.

The stuff from last night / this morning sounds like activity you'd do in GTA4.::shrug:

Edited by Murr

One Boston Marathon suspect dead, another still on run, officials say

Two men identified by law enforcement sources as the Boston Marathon attack suspects — armed with explosives and guns — battled authorities in a Boston suburb early Friday morning, unleashing chaos until cops took one of the men into custody, and the other fled, the sources said.

Officials later said the the suspect taken into custody died.

The standoff in Watertown, Mass., erupted shortly after the fatal shooting of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer. A transit police officer was also wounded in the Watertown fire fight, officials confirmed to NBC affiliate WHDH.

Referencing the photographs that were released by the FBI Thursday, authorities said the "white-hat" suspect was still on the loose.

Officials in Watertown were warning residents to "stay in their homes and not open their doors unless a police officer is there."

Watertown resident Andrew Kitzenberg described a police standoff outside his house, where the two suspects and police engaged in gunfire for several minutes.

The gunmen used "bombs that looked like grenades," Kitzenberg told NBC News.

Kitzenberg said when he looked out the window he saw two people taking cover between a black Mercedes SUV and a sedan, and watched them shooting 70 or 80 yards toward six Watertown police vehicles.

“They engaged in gunfire for a few minutes,” Kitzenberg said. “They were also utilizing bombs, which sounded and looked like grenades, while engaging in the gunfight. They also had what looked like a pressure-cooker bomb.”

He said the pair took cover behind the Mercedes SUV and were shooting westward toward the police officers. They also had backpacks.

“It was a firefight,” he added. “There was a long exchange of gunfire.”

One of the shooters then ran toward the officers, while the other got into the SUV, Kitzenberg recounted.

The person on foot later fell to the ground, but Kitzenberg said he was unable to tell whether he had been tackled or shot.

The other drove the SUV through the line of police cars at the end of the street, he added.

Kitzenberg said that while he had a “very clear view of the shooters,” he couldn’t see their faces but described them as “average size, average height.”

During the gun battle, a bullet ended up in the wall of Kitzenberg’s apartment, which is on the second level of a multi-family home.

Rebecca Carbone, 30, stood on the street wearing pajamas and a sweatshirt and had stepped out when she heard sirens.

"We heard a loud blast and we didn't know what it was," Carbone said. "It sounded like a car backfiring."

John Grimes, 69, a retired letter carrier, said that he heard three loud explosions, "and you don't hear explosions at night a lot."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/19/17817173-one-boston-marathon-suspect-dead-another-still-on-run-officials-say?lite

or to sum it up. One Suspect of Marathon bombing killed.

ongoing story so the source i posted is being updated frequently.

The arrested guy looks nothing like the two suspects!

Nobody has been arrested. Latest reports say one is dead and another is still at large.

Nobody has been arrested. Latest reports say one is dead and another is still at large.

I see, they changed the story since I posted. The dead guy then

Ack was hoping they'd get the people responsible without killing them.

Some might say "well he deserves to be dead" but I don't see death as a punishment more of an escape (unless someone can garauntee there is a hell and bad people go there :heh:)

Doesn't say (yet) if he was shot by a cop or if he maybe shot himself?

Hopefully they catch teh 2nd guy alive and we can then find out their reasoning behind the bombing? Were they working with a Terrorist Group? Were they just Americans who wanted to be dicks? And I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison getting rammed up teh arse by inmates :heh:

Guess with these guys shooting cops kinda makes them less "suspects" and more "culprits" at this stage.... surprised they stayed in the Boston area though... would have thought they would have done a total runner?

Ack was hoping they'd get the people responsible without killing them.

They did arrest him, but during a shoot-out an explosive device he had with him exploded - he died in hospital.

They did arrest him, but during a shoot-out an explosive device he had with him exploded - he died in hospital.

Press conference they asked how many gun shot wounds the first suspect had,

the answer - "Unable to count them"

Guessing the blast from the bomb he had on must of done most the damage, but sounds like a fair few bullets were put into him.

2nd suspect still on the run.

The thread on neogaf is far more informative then the news stories. Took BBC news ages to even acknowledge anything was happening.

Can you imagine opening your curtains in the morning to see this -

f1b71a55-a2af-4dcf-a3a1-ef94ee3aa112_500.jpg

f7d4c120-6c18-4ffd-a899-a99e96df2b94_500.jpg

2627d6cb-3979-4723-90fb-bfac2c7d27b5_500.jpg

swat-team-1-522x293.jpg