N-Europe

The Class Calculator

Fierce_LiNk

I found this quite interesting. It seems that the traditional class system isn't quite as clear cut as upper, middle and lower/working class. The new model focuses on 7 middle classes, which are:

Elite: This is the most privileged class in Great Britain who have high levels of all three capitals. Their high amount of economic capital sets them apart from everyone else.

Established Middle Class: Members of this class have high levels of all three capitals although not as high as the Elite. They are a gregarious and culturally engaged class.

Technical Middle Class: This is a new, small class with high economic capital but seem less culturally engaged. They have relatively few social contacts and so are less socially engaged.

New Affluent Workers: This class has medium levels of economic capital and higher levels of cultural and social capital. They are a young and active group.

Emergent Service Workers: This new class has low economic capital but has high levels of 'emerging' cultural capital and high social capital. This group are young and often found in urban areas.

Traditional Working Class: This class scores low on all forms of the three capitals although they are not the poorest group. The average age of this class is older than the others.

Precariat: This is the most deprived class of all with low levels of economic, cultural and social capital. The everyday lives of members of this class are precarious.

The Class Calculator

My result: Emergent Service Worker: This class group is financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value, but high for social and cultural factors. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

- Are young

- Enjoy a cultured social life

- Rent their home - almost 90%

1 step away from elite (apparently)

Established middle class

This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities

Went to university

Are comfortably off, secure and established

I tried it earlier and I'm stuck way down in "Precariat" - when I read the descriptions I assumed I'd be in "Emergent Service Worker" but with my currently limited social connections that makes sense.

I did full set of reading on the new classes and I reckon they're not a terrible means of contextualising modern society. The 3-class trope probably hasn't made sense since the 80s.

I got Emergent Service Workers.

Buuuut, if my parents die and I inherit, I'll become a New Affluent Worker.

The difference between the two is that I don't own property now. My conclusion is that this is dumb.

The difference between the two is that I don't own property now. My conclusion is that this is dumb.

I think it's fair, purely because the house would get counted as an asset of yours (I think). It's difficult to gain property at the moment, so you'd need a fair bit of cash to acquire it. (or, in your case, inherit it. Which is probably the likeliest possibility for a lot of people who want a house but can't afford to get one)

I don't really see the purpose of this, tbh.

There isn't. It's just harmless fun.

Yeah. It's not intended to annoy anybody. I was curious where I "belonged" in the system, so I thought others might want to have a look at it.

As for the system itself, going back to what @gaggle64 said, it seems to make more sense than the previous 3-tier system.

I'm the same as you. If my parents and grandparents were to die I'd move up significantly.

I think that anyone my age (our age?) would be very similar as not many people own property yet and are just starting on the career ladder. It doesn't really mean much until you've been in the workforce for 20 years or so and have a chance to save money or buy a property.

I am surprised that there's no question about what job you have. I would think being a manager and director would bump me up in this nonsensical "class" system thing.

It does ask for your income, so it covers itself in that regard. But yes, I was expecting it to at least ask what area or field you worked in.

Classing people is never harmless.

Ah, we both thought you meant the thread, not the subject matter. I wouldn't really say it was "pointless", as there are points that can be made about it, be it positive or negative. It's similar to these surveys that ask you what social group you belong to, as if you have to fit into one social group. A person might have traits from several class groups, so in a way it does seem like "putting somebody into a box".

I'm the same as you. If my parents and grandparents were to die I'd move up significantly.

I think that anyone my age (our age?) would be very similar as not many people own property yet and are just starting on the career ladder. It doesn't really mean much until you've been in the workforce for 20 years or so and have a chance to save money or buy a property.

I dunno, I guess it depends what people have done since college / Uni.

I've saved £15k for deposit, have already 'owned' one house but sold up to move to a bigger house, have now again got another £15k saved for a wedding and started my work career 6 years ago, now feeling the benefits of it. I'm 26.

I didn't go to University though, which my erm.. classification seems to think I have.

Quick Edit - Should also mention that my fiancee was similar to me in that when I met her she also had £15k saved up which was combined with my money to cover deposit and legal fee's, and that she is also very career driven and in a decent paying job too.

The wage question on finding your 'class' is a matter of combined wage, which makes it look nicer than If I were single, living alone.

Edited by Murr

It's all harmless fun until someone murders their parents to move up a notch.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4863885/Son-jailed-for-life-after-killing-parents-for-230K-insurance-pay-out.html

That guy.

The wage question on finding your 'class' is a matter of combined wage, which makes it look nicer than If I were single, living alone.

Yeah that's a big point. If I had SO I'd quite possibly move up a class.

Certainly limitations with it - what if you're still living at home eh!

I'm apparently sort of an emergent service worker, but if I buy a house I'll suddenly become a new affluent worker. My situation doesn't really change though, sure I'll own a house; but I'll have no savings and a huge mortgage. I can see the point though.

I got Emergent service workers. Not exactly groundbreaking.

As a side not, how would you people consider the basis of your class? Personally I've been to university, live in a fairly expensive area, and I'm in (the bottom rung of) a fairly good career. So that would make me middle class. However, as I grew up as working class - I came from a mining family, nobody had gone to university (my older brother was the first), rough area, fairly poor (we never went without, but we didn't have lots of luxuries) - and would always consider myself as working class, no matter how wealthy I was/what career I was in. All of my upbringing and values have been heavily influenced by being working class.

My children on the other hand would be (at my current situation) middle class.

I don't accept it! If you have the lowest income, you are a Precariat, which is just ridiculous is you compare it to the lowest previously-established class, the the "Underclass". I'm Lower-Middle Class and that's that!

I got Emergent service workers. Not exactly groundbreaking.

As a side not, how would you people consider the basis of your class? Personally I've been to university, live in a fairly expensive area, and I'm in (the bottom rung of) a fairly good career. So that would make me middle class. However, as I grew up as working class - I came from a mining family, nobody had gone to university (my older brother was the first), rough area, fairly poor (we never went without, but we didn't have lots of luxuries) - and would always consider myself as working class, no matter how wealthy I was/what career I was in. All of my upbringing and values have been heavily influenced by being working class.

My children on the other hand would be (at my current situation) middle class.

Well, my parents were migrant workers without much who worked most of their life over here in the NHS. They didn't make great money but they worked really hard and had a good sense of money - as a result we've had a fairly good upbringing - I didn't have as many toys and games as everyone else I knew as a kid but I did have a good sense of money, and I did have SOME games(vidya games, my first/second love) so I can't complain. That's one reason I've always wondered/felt iffy with the class debate - my parents certainly weren't middle class when they came here but I wonder now - because they worked hard and did well with their money, am *I* middle class of sorts?

Did that test and got Emergent service worker. I have no money to my name.

Pretty sure I'd be taking the piss if I tried to claim I was working class. I'm northern, but that's all the street cred I have. Family never really had any money problems, my Dad is a lawyer, my mum's a manager in an office, I've gone to university. That said I'm not traditionally 'posh' in the way I behave. I place myself as lower-middle, which is convenient as if I were anything higher I'd start to feel guilty, being a member of the Labour party and all :heh:.

That said, I've noticed 'posh' to be a fairly relative thing. I've been 'accused' of it before just for not being absolute broad as fuck Geordie in the way I talk.

I got emergent service worker, which doesn't sound particularly fantastic. I don't expect I'll be invited to many fancy parties with that on my name tag.

If I was to lump my family and upbringing into a "class" it would definitely be working class. I grew up on a reputedly "rough" council estate and my parents currently live in council house.

I'm not likely to inherit any "wealth" when my parents pass away, but that's cool. They already gave me a pretty awesome upbringing and raised me to be a fairly okay person. If anything I wish I had spare "wealth" I could give them to make their lives more comfortable. They probably wouldn't move from where they are now since they're genuinely very happy there.

They actually filmed that show The Choir on our estate for one season. I think the episodes are on You Tube - it's the South Oxhey series.

According to Reginald D Hunter, the class system is just a way to discriminate against people who look like you. There's probably a little bias in this coming from me, but I totally agree with him.

Edited by Guy