N-Europe

Musicals

Beast

So ever since being amazed by Les Misèrables last night (which I want to see again), I've been wanting to watch some other musicals as well both on stage and in the movies. I personally love Sweeney Todd, it's my favourite (both the one by Tim Burton and the stage musical as well). I also like Grease and West Side Story as well.

I'm just wondering whether you guys like musicals too and if you do, what type do you like? Have you seen any shows? What shows do you want to see? What's your favourite musical number? If you don't like them, why don't you like them?, etc.

Ready...DISCUSS! :D

18068905_700x700min_1.jpg

Everyone loves The Lion King. I haven't seen the live production of it but would absolutely love to.

Wicked-poster.jpg

Wicked was incredible. Amazing performance.

215px-Hairspray.jpg

Also saw Hairspray in London. Loved it. Great theme. Great songs too. My old school recently did a performance of it that was fantastic too.

I've also seen Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph, The Sound of Music amongst a number of others.

215px-SouthParkbiggerlongeruncut.jpg

This also deserves a mention. :p

I love musicals, but Les Mis sucks hard. This perception of mine might be highly dubious due to the fact that I love the book, which they completely slaughtered in the process.

As for the rest, the only show I ever watched was The Book Of Mormon when I went to NYC, they just don't exist over here. Movies, though (in no order):

- Wizard of Oz (duh);

- Pierrot Le Fou;

- The Nightmare Before Christmas;

- My Fair Lady;

- Singin' In The Rain;

- Dancer In The Dark;

- Fiddler On The Roof;

- Cabaret;

- Moulin Rouge;

- A Star Is Born;

- All That Jazz;

- West Side Story.

I don't think most traditional Disney movies (like The Lion King) count as musicals, personally, since the musical parts are both scarce and don't usually advance the plot much, if at all.

I enjoy musicals and theatre in general tremendously. It's far too rare that I actually go out and watch a play or a musical, and every time I am blown away and tell myself that I need to start doing it more often. The best example was when I watched Wicked in London, and it was bloody amazing. Went and got the soundtrack afterwards (I have a thing for soundtracks).

Dan and I are going to see The Blood Brothers tomorrow, we have front row tickets! We saw Les Miserables in London during the summer and absolutely loved it, hoping to see the film this week. I can understand why people don't like musicals them though.

Personally I really enjoy theatre, I loved directing the school Christmas play and I used to perform in musicals when I was a teenager....

360_599494771123_614_n.jpg

From Sweeney Todd, I'm the one in the bow tie and bowler hat.

348_599502780073_9969_n.jpg

:P (Sinbad)

Recently re-watched Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical. It's completely camp and ridiculous, but fun (plus Kristen Bell and Neve Campbell in something other than Scream).

Does Pushing Daisies count? That was pretty much a musical.

No love for The Rocky Horror Picture Show? Haven't seen it for a long time. Might be due another watch.

You know something, I was told I'd like it but I actually didn't really think an awful lot about it. Like, I liked Tim Curry and thought he was great and Meat Loaf's Hot Patootie is awesome but really, I only enjoyed the first 30-45 minutes and the rest just...no...

However, I adore Sweeney Todd and The Nightmare Before Christmas and I also love old musicals. I love The Wizard of Oz (and I really want to see Wicked and Oz: The Great and Powerful) and Singing in the Rain. I also love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Talking about SBFSB, does anybody realise how kind of rapey it is? haha. Me and a couple of my Xbox mates were talking about it and we were talking about how cool it was when we kind of realised it seemed a little rapey and forced. Never thought of it like that as a kid but re-watching it again when I'm older and I can see it a little, haha.

After listening to both the Pushing Daisies soundtracks this week I've decided it was a musical, and my favourite. Jim Dooley's work on it is amazing, the changes between emotions and sounds are fantastic.

I was disappointed that Kristin Chenoweth's beautiful version of "Hello" was missing from the soundtrack, but I've found a couple of full (not recorded from a TV) version here (note: the site may ask to save the music files straight away).