NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Things that people say that wind you up

I'm sorry, but...

I don't mean to be annoying, but...

I'm not racist, but...(usually followed by saying something that is probably racist)

I'm not being awful, but...

I'm sorry, but...

I don't mean to be annoying, but...

I'm not racist, but...(usually followed by saying something that is probably racist)

I'm not being awful, but...

No offence...

:nono:

Wow...I just want to ring Game in kidderminster JUST to hear that...

I no longer work there and you can no longer pre-order Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training.

When people pop the word 'literally' into a sentence when they don't need to. Not like "I literally just died", of course you didn't but I know what you mean. But "I literally just went to the toilet"...well yeah, you just went to the toilet, you don't ned to say literally.

Worst thing is I am guilty of it myself!

I no longer work there and you can no longer pre-order Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training.

RUINED MY DAY

:weep::weep::weep::weep::weep:

When people pop the word 'literally' into a sentence when they don't need to. Not like "I literally just died", of course you didn't but I know what you mean. But "I literally just went to the toilet"...well yeah, you just went to the toilet, you don't ned to say literally.

It's worse when they use literally incorrectly.

"I literally pissed myself laughing."

"Am I the only one that thinks [iNSERT MAJORITY VIEW]"

Drives me absolutely fucking nuts.

'Literally' literally is a legitimate way to place emphasis nowadays, language being fluid and all. Which is what makes language wonderful.

Edited by Daft

Totesamaze (TOWIE slang for Totally Amazing)

Reem (TOWIE again)

My dad's picked one up lately that irritates me no end.. "Hows *insert* go down", like Hows work go down?

GO DOWN GO DOWN? do i work on a sinking ship? am i a gigallow?

The Black Country dialect uses 'day' ('dai'? 'daigh'? lord knows) to mean 'is', 'is not', 'are' and 'are not' (or perhaps just is/is not and they don't understand the difference between 'is' and 'are' and use it for both). For example "Day mine, day it?" (Isn't mine, is it?)

On a personal level it annoys me, but semantically it's quite interesting.

"Am I the only one that thinks [iNSERT MAJORITY VIEW]"

Drives me absolutely fucking nuts.

Speaking of, around New Years saw lots of Facebook statuses/tweets along the lines of "There's been a lot of ups and downs this year..." No shit! That's called life! It's not as profound as you seem to think.

My sister has started replacing the word bollocks with the word boat, I hate that but if you want to drive me crazy say just joshing. That drives me fucking nuts.

It winds me up when people complain about people using the word "literally" to emphasise a point - especially as it is often used with many wonderful phrases. Saying "I figuratively exploded with excitement" sounds stupid while "I literally exploded with excitement" emphasises the feeling of excitement wonderfully.

It winds me up when people complain about people using the word "literally" to emphasise a point - especially as it is often used with many wonderful phrases. Saying "I figuratively exploded with excitement" sounds stupid while "I literally exploded with excitement" emphasises the feeling of excitement wonderfully.

Yeah no I agree with that, like I said someone saying "I literally died with laughter" is clearly just emphasising the point, and I know what they mean. It's the use of it in fact that jars me, if someone were to come to mine with a copy of ZombiU (guess what i'm playing at the moment) in a GAME bag and said "i literally just bought ZombiU", it's like well I know you did, you bought ZombieU. Does that make any sense? Oh dear, at least I know what I mean. Literally.

I don't get all the 'touch base' hate. It's a pretty useful phrase.

I can't stand the term 'Can you action this?' It doesn't make any sense. You can't action something, you can take action.

When people say "I hate people who do this". No, you "hate it when people do this".

The worst one is the misuse of the word 'literally', as @Cube pointed out. Jamie Redknapp is the worst for this. Some of his classics are:

"The crowd are literally going mad"

"He literally left him for dead there"

"Drogba literally destroyed Senderos today.”

“Centre forwards have the ability to make time stand still. And when Chopra got the ball, it literally did just that.”

"He’s literally turned him inside out."

“He literally turns into a greyhound”

"Crease"

No, it's not a crease. It's not an indentation on a flat or curved surface. Get out

"Do you know what i mean"

Thats annoying

I know someone who says that literally every other sentence. It does my head in

Another I'm seeing more lately is people "getting tech" at things. Seriously, what the hell is that?

Oh, and though not a saying, it really pisses me off when people call themselves a geek because they watch stuff like The Big Bang Theory

I think you've all covered most of them! So I cannot really add to the pile.

Some of them, I'm shamed to admit, I say, but there's nothing I can do about that now - force of habit and I'm too lazy to get out of them.

I do hate no offence, its been used too many times in work and it makes me want to kick people.

Amazeballs.

Banter.

And when did English people start saying "craic"? It's really irritating.

"You can't have your cake and eat it."

Then why the fuck would I have some cake?

The point is you can't do both. If you eat the cake, you do not have the cake anymore.

YES!

Another one is "You've made your bed, now lie in it!"

Well...why else did I make my bed? For fun?

Like Jonnas said, it's another way of saying "you reap what you sow", i.e. you have to deal with the consequences of your actions.

I find that a deadpan LOL is a good ironic reaction, actually :heh:

Agreed. :)

I know it's not exactly a saying, but the erroneous "I could care less" that has been getting more and more popular annoys me to no end. The original saying is so straightforward, so it boggles how come the people who use it don't notice/care that the lack of "not" completely changes what they're trying to say.

This is probably the only thing that really annoys me, and I know language is fluid and all that, but for fuck's sake people, think about what you're saying for two seconds before opening your mouth; if your mind cannot handle a double negative, perhaps you should call Ashley up and pre-order Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training.

Not really the same as everyone elses...

"I'll be there in 5 minutes" translates to "I will be there at undefined point later this day because I am unable to be accurate with my timekeeping estimations." What's wrong with saying you'll be an hour if you'll be an hour? Why say you'll be 20 mins if you'll be at least three times that?!

"That was delicious." When people praise your food -- the very food you've just eaten and found to be lacking. I get that it's a tactful thing to do. If I don't think the food is good, I'll say something more truthful like "that filled me up" rather than lie about their food.