NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Things that people say that wind you up

@bob, @Murr: When I was talking to my Grandad yesterday, he said "Can't see the wood through the trees".

In my experience, and I'm assuming bob's too, it's "for", not "through." (Not that it matters. BUT if we keep dissecting bob's joke let's see how truly unfunny we can make it! :p )

In my experience, and I'm assuming bob's too, it's "for", not "through." (Not that it matters. BUT if we keep dissecting bob's joke let's see how truly unfunny we can make it! :p )

Wait, it was a joke? ::shrug::wtf:

I genuinely thought he was being serious...

I find it funny the way some people insert the word "ass" into sentences.

e.g. "That was some good ass food."

Glad to hear you enjoyed your ass food, but I won't be having any. :laughing:

Wait, it was a joke? ::shrug::wtf:

I genuinely thought he was being serious...

Likewise... my bad @bob

I've got a winner.

When people make fun of other people for their own personal tastes in music, films or anything. It's incredibly rude. You like what you like, no matter what it is, and you shouldn't be judged for that.

Someone I know recently said "there's a worrying trend of guys liking One Direction". Why is that worrying?

The advise "be more confident".

One does not simply become more confident.

Fake it until you make it. People say, like you did, that it's hard, which it is but if you don't make the effort it will never, ever happen.

I was being serious, but not as catty as my comment reads. It is 'see the wood/forest for the trees' as in, can't see the bigger picture of the wood, because you are so busy looking at the smaller detail of the individual trees.

I genuinely didn't know if you just didn't like the phrase, or it annoyed you that people were getting it wrong (a la 'could care less' phrase mentioned before).

If people are seeing this as a joke however, it seems i don't even have to try and be funny anymore, and Funniest Member will be mine next year.

Maybe that's why you were a candidate this year? Maybe you should mark each post with a level of seriousness at the end. Just to clarify.

That is a very good idea Mr Odwin.

1/5 S

And when did English people start saying "craic"? It's really irritating.

The Irish language seems to have rubbed off on us.

About a month ago someone said YOLO to me and I said "what?"

I was quite pleased that I didn't know up until then. What a stupid fucking thing to say.

I only found out what it meant a few weeks ago too. And also discovered what FUBAR meant, whilst watching Tango and Cash. That's right, a film made in 1989 can still teach us stuff.

I hate 'man cave' and 'man flu'. Bleurgh.

I had a woman at work say she had man flu and admitted it was worse than normal flu. Score one for the penises.

Right, a few of my own:

"Well Jell"

Hashtags on a place where it's irrelevant IE. somethere other than Twitter. It's fucking stupid putting them on Facebook or whatever.

But my top one for the moment is:

"Obviously"

Because you obviously know all the factors in the equation for this to be obvious in the first place.

Hashtags on a place where it's irrelevant IE. somethere other than Twitter. It's fucking stupid putting them on Facebook or whatever.

Although forgiveable if it's automatically imported from Twitter. However, I do know someone who does it a lot. #itstotallyrezourceman

Although forgiveable if it's automatically imported from Twitter. However, I do know someone who does it a lot. #itstotallyrezourceman

I agree, if they've linked their accounts for whatever reason, then fair enough. But I know of some who add it to the end of their Facebook status as if it's meant to mean something extra.

You don't see a lot of people do it anymore, but I have a friend on Facebook who will sometimes write things like, "I'm so glad this day is finally over www.worstday.com/ever."

I assume she's trying to make her whining less obnoxious by poking fun at it? (It doesn't work.)

Even worse, she'll take it even further and be like, "[email protected]/thissucks." Is that a web or an email address? I DON'T KNOW.

I had a woman at work say she had man flu and admitted it was worse than normal flu. Score one for the penises.

A man flu is a cold, so if she thinks that's somehow worse than the flu, she's clearly never had it.

Fake it until you make it. People say, like you did, that it's hard, which it is but if you don't make the effort it will never, ever happen.

Having been on both sides of this, I can say that both are true. "Be more confident" is good advice, it's just not very helpful.

---

I find mixing ways of expression from different contexts (like using hashtag on other forums than Twitter or in actual speech) a fun thing to do. Playing with language makes it more fun, interesting and creative. Of course, if it becomes a trend it gets overused to the point where it's not fun, interesting or creative anymore, and that's when it gets annoying.

When people are confused about something and respond as if you're in the wrong. It's hard to describe but a girl at work does it all the time. She'll come over mid conversation and be like "No no you see blah blah..." So frustrating! You don't even know what we were talking about and took what we were saying completely out of context! It's very hard to keep calm telling her she's wrong then haha

You don't see a lot of people do it anymore, but I have a friend on Facebook who will sometimes write things like, "I'm so glad this day is finally over www.worstday.com/ever."

I assume she's trying to make her whining less obnoxious by poking fun at it? (It doesn't work.)

Even worse, she'll take it even further and be like, "[email protected]/thissucks." Is that a web or an email address? I DON'T KNOW.

Not really an annoying thing but I've seen the odd few people who's emails will have a "www" in them. As in "[email protected]". Always makes me laugh a little when I see it on Facebook!

I think the 'Be more confident' thing is good advice and helpful as well. It's like when you look at yourself in the mirror. Some people hate it so why not just say to the mirror: "God...DAMN, I am looking so motherfucking awesome!" or something and if you keep doing it, you'll start believing it.

I've got a winner.

When people make fun of other people for their own personal tastes in music, films or anything. It's incredibly rude. You like what you like, no matter what it is, and you shouldn't be judged for that.

Someone I know recently said "there's a worrying trend of guys liking One Direction". Why is that worrying?

Ugh yes! I get this a lot because I just do not give a shit and just say what I say. Today, for example. I got asked what I got up to on my day off and I just said I went to the cinema to see Les Misèrables and I loved it and then he said the very thing that every straight bloke says when he tries to act all manly and macho: "Ha, you like musicals? You gay or something?".

...needless to say, I just looked at him with a disappointed look, shook my head, facepalmed and walked away. Pretty much looked like this guy here: :nono:

I always say to like what you like and hate what you hate.

I think the 'Be more confident' thing is good advice and helpful as well. It's like when you look at yourself in the mirror. Some people hate it so why not just say to the mirror: "God...DAMN, I am looking so motherfucking awesome!" or something and if you keep doing it, you'll start believing it.

But now you're giving actual advice on how to become more confident. The point was that just saying "Be more confident!" is not helpful at all, because it's just stating the obvious. It's like telling a person with OCD: "See, you need to stop obsessing over things." :heh:

But now you're giving actual advice on how to become more confident. The point was that just saying "Be more confident!" is not helpful at all, because it's just stating the obvious. It's like telling a person with OCD: "See, you need to stop obsessing over things." :heh:

Everyone who hates the advice "be more confident" should watch this video from TED.

It's 20 minutes long but well worth the time at your lunch break/skive. Really interesting.

Also another confidence booster is going to the gym! You have no idea just how much confidence working out gives you. I'm a different man from even 6 months ago.

But it is helpful because it plays a tiny part in it. If you don't recognise it, how are you going to do something about it? It's a stepping stone. Start with something small and then work your way up. If you're told "You need to do this" or "You can do it", you psyche yourself until you do it. Someone said to me "You need to lose weight". To others, it may not seem helpful but it is because it's someone telling me the problem and it's me recognising it. It does play a small part but it's helpful. A person with OCD sometimes may not really realise they obsess and think it's normal until someone tells them "You need to stop obsessing". At first, they may not believe you for a while and they think it's normal right up until they have a panic attack because they forgot to do something. They realise the problem and that's all because of someone who told them that they needed to stop. From then on, it's up to them to decide what to do.

So you see, it is helpful to an extent to be told "Be more confident". They may know they're not but they may not know. It's just a matter of recognising the problem and someone telling you.

I need to buy a mirror.

I've got a winner.

I have to intervene here... As someone who likes alot of shit, what I/we really make fun of isn't that you like something, but that you (ie most people, not you specifically) can be so conceited as to immediately assume that because they enjoy something or find it to their liking, that immeditely makes it good and impervious to criticism. My most played and favourite album of 2012 was Lana Del Rey's Born To Die. It was simultaneously one of the worst albums to have come out this year that I was aware of. The music is soulless, basically it's just overly-dramatic classic pop revisiting in every song, with empty lyrics sung in monotone by a semi talented Nancy Sinatra impersonator. It's mediocre at best. I am aware of that. It's still my favourite album of 2012 and Blue Jeans (a shameless Wicked Game ripoff) is probably my favourite track of the year. I never criticize anyone for liking anything, I criticize them for being so self involved that they can't see beyond their own attachment to something. I enjoy alot of crap, and do so happily. But denying something is bad simply because you like it is childish abd ignorant.

The problem here is that when you tell a One Direction fan that OD are a crap band, the fan cannot fathom such a hipothesis to be within the realm of resaon. People act like they have supreme taste in everything and get offended when they get called/challenged on it. That's the most subconsciently self centered shit in the world, and it's annoying as fuck. People take their own opinions way too seriously when it comes to impartial debate. How much you enjoy something ≠ how good something is.