NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Things that people say that wind you up

Speaking of Football: "What do you mean you don't support a team?" "WHAT??? You don't like Football? Are you gay or something?".

When people pronounce tooth like "tuth", and tongue as "tung", and half as "haff".

Oh yeah, those people suck!

:blush:

I get quite a lot of stick for it a lot of the time. Plus, I say "gr-ass" instead of graaaaaaaaaaarrrss, so get a lot of grief about it from people down here. :p

Caaaaaaaaaarrrrstle? Fuck that.

I agree about tuth but how else would you say tongue.

Tell me you don't say 'tong'. That would just be ridiculous.

EDIT: The Lonely Island's take on YOLO

Edited by 130131301364

how else would you say tongue.

The correct way.

Tell me you don't say 'tong'.

You got it.

I've just tried saying "tong" a few times and it sounds ridiculous. You're ridiculous.

I'm not going to start a debate on objectivity of media but I'd like to propose a reason why what you described happens. I believe it lies in an individual's personal definition of good. Let's assume there are 2: "I like it", "It has quality". The problem here lies that if you tell a OD fan that OD is crap and his definition is the first, then he will assume you're telling him he's not allowed to like it, and be annoyed. Now when people differentiate quality and taste like you do, then they're more likely to call OD a guilty pleasure and agree that they are not "good". The people that assume good = "I like it" likely don't care about your perception of quality, and judge music solely by their enjoyment of it, whereas you obviously do not. So instead of being annoyed, you could just accept that people don't care about music enough to be able to describe quality past their personal enjoyment.

That's just my opinion.

That's really quite well put.

It's fruitless, not to mention completely wrong, to tell people that particular pieces entertainment can be objectively good or bad.

You could jot on paper the merits of a particular play versus another but at the end of the day these merits should come together to entertain. If a hundred highly polished, well thought features do not together assemble something entertaining for you on a personal level then that's all that matters. That's why there can be no objectivity - the very fact we measure such things by personal enjoyment, a subjective feeling, completely invalidates any objective approach that you could take.

That's really quite well put.

It's fruitless, not to mention completely wrong, to tell people that particular pieces entertainment can be objectively good or bad.

You could jot on paper the merits of a particular play versus another but at the end of the day these merits should come together to entertain. If a hundred highly polished, well thought features do not together assemble something entertaining for you on a personal level then that's all that matters. That's why there can be no objectivity - the very fact we measure such things by personal enjoyment, a subjective feeling, completely invalidates any objective approach that you could take.

While I agree with you on every level. The reason I've abstained from returning to this argument by pointing all these things out again is that some people (coughoxygenwastecough) don't equate quality with personal enjoyment, which is where the disagreement originates.

I've just tried saying "tong" a few times and it sounds ridiculous. You're ridiculous.

This whole forum's ridiculous! [/quote i dont actually know]

You're certainly ridiculous though. Tongs are for salads, not for mouths.

Over here in East Cheshire/South Manchester that seems to be how everyone says it. I mentioned it a few weeks ago at work and everyone looked at me like I was the freak.